Indian Infantry - WW1

Vaastav

Hello all, I am planning a project depicting Indian soldiers in the trenches of France in the First World War. However, the problem is that I haven't really been able to find anywhere that sells these figures and ships to India. Help please

15 hours ago, Francis Macnaughton said:

Are you aware of this set or is it the wrong scale?

http://www.hat.com/Curr2/Bx8235BH/Bx8236IN.html

It is the right scale, thanks a ton. However, upon going to their site, they don't list India as a country they ship to.

However, if no one ships direct, then maybe I can ask one of my relatives to get it and send it over.

6 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'm not 100% certain but I would have thought Hannants post direct to India, and they have the figures in stock:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HAT8236?result-token=YkV9C

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks a ton for the tip @Stew Dapple, Hannants does ship to India.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Francis Macnaughton said:

Are you aware of this set or is it the wrong scale?

http://www.hat.com/Curr2/Bx8235BH/Bx8236IN.html

Asking out of curiosity.

Do those figures depict the uniforms and equipment of Indian troops in the trenches in France or are they more applicable to warmer climates like Turkey and the Middle East.

In my mind I imagine Indian troops in France wearing standard UK/Commonwealth khaki uniforms but with turbans. That is purely my speculation I have no real knowledge of this aspect.  But if my speculation is correct could you just use multi-pose British infantry and just change the heads.

Cheers,

Nigel

@StuartH and @Yorkshire man thanks for the photos, very informative.

I had done a quick google myself and found a photo of bicycle troops at The Somme and they were dressed the same as the British troops around them (except for the turbans).

Maybe it is like any war, you start out with good intentions but as it drags on you use whatever is available.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nheather said:

I had done a quick google myself and found a photo of bicycle troops at The Somme and they were dressed the same as the British troops around them (except for the turbans).

I did the same thing.  Most images show them dressed pretty much the same as British regiments, with a fair mix of regular helmets and turbans.  Some even had slouch hats like ANZAC troops.

https://www.google.com/search?q=indian+soldiers+france+wwi&client=ubuntu&hs=glX&sxsrf=ALeKk02CMwXtAhsT1UK1oUd08m0boRSIew:1601203936761&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwio6PO-lYnsAhUVBhAIHZTxAC8Q_AUoAXoECA4QAw&biw=1366&bih=609#imgrc=OJuoFdzs8UC8IM

• Like 1

Some troops wore Pattis (puttees), and trousers while some wore pattis and shorts (Gurkhas etc).

The figures in the HaT set are generic for Dogras, Jat etc.

Hornet heads are 1/35, so a bit bigheaded (sorry couldn't resist).

ICM's smallest figures are 1/48, so worth considering. Masterbox is a bit too big (smallest is 1/35)

Thanks a lot all you guys for the help

Edited by Vaastav
Forgot to say Thank you, whatever would mother say
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, Cometracer said:

This doesn't really pertain to the First World War posts here, but I've queried with MiniArt the possibility of producing some Indian army tank crew figures.  Sorry if I piggy-backed on this thread, but it seemed appropriate.

Thats very good actually. Please let me know if they say anything.