Type 42 that used USN paint on her hull?

terryn

Chaps

I have in my head the memory of a Type 42 in the Gulf War using US Navy pain on her hull as the correct British paint was in short supply.  I think she was one of the stretched ships but I can't be sure and much as I've searched I can't find any photos or references to this.  I mentioned it on the Dockside Message Board for 1/1200 Collectors and now they want proof.  I'm hoping one of you will be able to help especially as there seems to be several ex Type 42 crew on this board.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I was out there though in a T22 but this is news to me.  The 2 stretched ships were GLOUCESTER and MANCHESTER.  I work with someone who served in GLOUCESTER during Op Granby so I can ask him next week (though probably won't see him until Wednesday).  I'm sure I've got a connection on Linked In with MANCHESTER's Flt Cdr (though to be honest, as Flt Cdr of BRAVE, if we'd used USN paint I certainly wouldn't remember it now!)

Best rgds

Hi Terry,

Having unexpectedly gone into the office today (I was supposed to be at an off-site meeting that was cancelled when I was only 15 minutes away from the venue!) I  got the chance to talk to my colleague who was an engineering officer in GLOUCESTER during Granby and based on his evidence can confirm categorically that GLOUCESTER at least didn't use USN paint.  Unfortunately, I don't have my MANCHESTER contact on LinkedIn but having just looked at the Op Granby Deployment book  where there's a photo of MANCHESTER taken shortly after the end of hostilities, she looks very much RN ship's side grey.

Sorry I can't be more help.