A colorful Hawk kit #214

Corsairfoxfouruncle

3 hours ago, Toryu said:

I would brush it in the traditional way, Dennis, because the original was brushed too and it shows irregular colour depth and brush sweeps.

I am leaning that way, for that very reason. However my inner OCD self is fighting the brush strokes and wants the smoothness of the airbrush. 

• Haha 1

Good evening everyone... I was able to get the Aluminum on this today.

lLwYpxz.jpg

HQaJCMa.jpg

E0ueYPQ.jpg

37qYQft.jpg

It took two hours and cant for the life of me figure out what was going wrong. In the end had to thin the paint down to a 80/20 mix and did multiple layers. Tamiya XF-16 aluminum and Lacquer thinner if anyone is curious. I painted three colors using the same airbrush on my Bf.109 build and that took about 75 minutes with zero issues ? Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hi Dennis, too bad you got your "first paint on" experience ruined. I couldn't tell you what was wrong either, I have thinned my Tamiya XF paints with their Lacquer Thinner without issues, although I feel that the paint dries a little too quickly. I use exclusively Mr Color Levelling Thinners these days. 

• Thanks 1

Good morning everyone... Well I did the four decals on this. Three of four cracked as they're ancient decals from the 80’s. But then again these will be cleared and painted over soon, they are to just give an impression this had a standard scheme before the multicolor camouflage was applied. Ske7AKg.jpg

PRi2kgK.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello everyone... Well I started late last night and got the first three colors laid down. The white, sand, and Neutral grey. I hit it with the three greens and then did second/third coats where necessary. 5L8lCsE.jpg

9DVug2A.jpg

I originally went for a terracotta color in the sand range but when it dried it was more pink than sand. So went over it with U.S.Pacific sand/coral color Ive mixed up before. 

0cEBBdu.jpg

NmnyIC5.jpg

Av8lkeT.jpg

7aHyKDX.jpg

If anyone is curious these are the paints used. 

ZNstbDv.jpg

Tamiya -XF2 flat white = white,

Hataka light gull grey and grey beige in a 7-2 ratio = Sand/orange

Tamiya XF53 neutral grey = lavender/grey

Tamiya XF5 flat green = Forest/Medium green

Mr.Color #12 USAAF O.D. = Olive

xtracrylix RAF Dk.Green = Bottle green

Dennis

• Like 13

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Dennis

It reminds me of the warship disruptive pattern camoflage that was designed to stop you identifying what ship it was rather that hide in the background.

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

I believe the main purpose was that when viewed through a ranging sight and particularly a periscope, it made it very hard to determine the speed and direction of the ship, thus making it a lot harder to hit!

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone...in the last 20 hours Ive spent 10 at the bench. Im tired, :tired:Im sore, and I spent an hour on my Knees today fighting the Damn carpet monster. Being disabled Im not supposed to get on my knees, it usually requires emergency services  🚑 to show up and pick me back up. I was able to get all my builds up to the same stage. Everything's done now except for the fragile stuff like antennas, pitot’s, and canopies. Those will be on Tuesday or Wednesday. 

HjiHVW3.jpg

BcZsVNf.jpg

Dennis

• Like 12

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

You're sure putting in the effort Dennis! 

You know the GB ends way over in January, right? 😉 

Yes... Ive got the four on the go now, two here and two in the MTO 3 build. These four will bring me to 33 on the year with a Panther tank in my group build and an AVG Tiger in the Interceptors build to go yet. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

33+ Dennis... that’s amazing. I don’t even have 33 fully finished as yet. Mind you, I’ve probably started More than 133 over the long journey! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Look at it this way Dave, it does save on display space 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

These four will bring me to 33 on the year

Whut?!

Alright I didn't start til lockdown in March but I've managed five, and one of those was half-completed from ten years ago!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Whut?!

Alright I didn't start til lockdown in March but I've managed five, and one of those was half-completed from ten years ago!

Im a bit of a machine when it comes to builds, being disabled I either build, do research, or hangout with SWMBO. Five plus builds is no slouch if you have a real life and work and other things to preoccupy your time. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

... or hangout with SWMBO.

Was that your choice Dennis? Only joking mate, I’m sure she’s a wonderful companion. 
Cheers.. Dave 

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Great scheme! Love the way you started with a neat pre-war finish too.

Regards,

Adrian

Its hard to see in the photo’s but you can still see the stars under the paint in person. I finished all the little bits last night and photographed her. Will be in the Gallery soon. 

• Like 4

Top notch finish on this one too Dennis. A scheme we are love, however rarely modelled. You’ve done a grand job of this kit, two big Aussie thumbs up from me. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1