A 109 for Mölders kit #236

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello everyone... This is build #1 for me here in the group build. I will be Using Heller’s great little Bf.109B/C to build a plane operating in Spain by Hptm. Werner Mölders while flying with the condor legion. cEYLwtp.jpg

R34nqXX.jpg

Here you can see the original decals of which I will attempt to use some. If they fail I will fall back on these AML Decals. 

N8VB5t2.jpg

Mölders plane is the overall RLM 63 grey/green over 65it is the one on the right marked 6•79 with the red spinner.

z9FQl3f.jpg

If something goes horribly wrong I will Fall back to my second option on the left. Hptm. Haro Harder marked 6•36 in the standard splinter scheme of 70/71/65. 

M93RlwB.jpg

UUCNhdA.jpg

LBnO81i.jpg

Rest assured I do have the canopy its under the decal booklet in the decal photo above. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. Build # 2 will be a Hawk 75.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 10

Welcome aboard Dennis and nice to see yet another member nominating to do a double Heller build. With up to 100 members signing up, this will easily surpass all previous GB records thus far. 

Now that Bf109B Kit looks absolutely fabulous. I have one of these on it’s way and after seeing those superb sprue shots I cannot wait to view it and make a start to one myself. The Molders machine is a great choice, so looking forward to see how you get on with this great kit. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Fantastic! This is a lovely kit, so glad to see the first one appear in the GB. Nice choice of markings too. I have a feeling we'll be seeing a few of these, mine and Rabbit Leader's included. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lovely kit that also rests in the Wez Heller Hoard.

Kit number 236 originally issued in 1980, such a lovely little kit and good choice of subject Dennis.

Welcome and good luck.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The Molders machine is a great choice, so looking forward to see how you get on with this great kit.

They are great little kits, I built one earlier this year as a Swiss 109. If I could my hands on more I will build more for the 109 STGB. As far as looks go the Emil is my favorite 109 followed by these early types.  

Dennis

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dennis,

This is one of the Heller WWII kit I haven't built so far but heard load of positive stuff about it.

Glad to see it here and looking forward how it will go in your expert hands.

Cheers,

Antoine

• Thanks 1

Good morning everyone...Well I was able to get a start on these today. The nice thing about heller kits is they go together quick. I painted the interior bits and then sealed it up. 6W5WiBb.jpg

g32UDsn.jpg

xXRFXGj.jpg

Belts will be added tomorrow or the next day, control column after painting. 

IVYu5UZ.jpg

Sl3AENu.jpg

WkLdeRg.jpg

Just a little gap at the wing root to radiator and rear fuselage. Once this sets up I can do what sanding, filling, re-scribing I will need. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Good morning everybody... I was able to knock out all the sanding, filling, and re-scribing on both this and my P-36 build. This one almost needed 0 filler though. The only three places really needed were underside wingtips and rear wing to fuselage join. 
tGQYNGZ.jpg

Then starboard rear wing root, thats it everything polished up nicely otherwise. l1JSMZO.jpg

I need to add a scoop on the upper cowling before I paint this over the weekend. I learned a decent lesson when I built the last Heller 109 earlier this year. It was nigh on impossible to mask under the stabs and around the cantilever supports. This time I'm going to paint separately and add later. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Always nice to have the filling done. What filler are you using?

I use a homemade version of Perfect plastic putty I found on youtube based on fine Tamiya white filler and Tamiya tan cap lacquer thinner. I squeeze out a small dollop of filler about 1/2 inch long, and use about 5-6 drops of the thinner. Stir it up until is all nice and smoothly mixed. It will start out clumpy but after 45-60 seconds its as smooth as pudding. I apply it and let it set for 5-10 minutes but definitely no more as it can attack the plastic. You can see two spots on my P-36 wings where it happened. y0m1NTK.jpg
I use cotton ear buds dipped in the lacquer thinner. I swirl the bud at as close to 45* from the gap and kitchen paper towel to dry it off every few seconds. If you try it its a mix that needs to be played with awhile to get it right. I recommend practice on a garbage model until you have the technique down less chance of damaging the plastic on something you care about. I hope that helps explain it a little. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Thanks, I may try this. I use either the grey Humbrol filler which dries fast, but sometimes way too fast. Or the Vallejo plastic putty which is nice because you can apply with water. Or the 2 part Milliput if I feel like mixing and all that. I usually don't and it's not as easy to sand as the Humbrol. I'm almost out of filler so I will buy some of the Tamiya stuff as well. 

• Like 1

Great progress Dennis, that 109 Is starting to take shape nicely. Great to know it seems to be a nice fitting kit as I’ve just acquired one of these myself. I’ll roll it out in good time and well after I’ve completed my other two German Heller kits. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I missed this earlier, Dennis. A nice choice of markings (although I'd be on the Republican side ;) )

Martin

Thanks Martin... I must be missing something in my lack of sleep state, the Republican comment ? Doh see below

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Great progress Dennis, that 109 Is starting to take shape nicely. Great to know it seems to be a nice fitting kit as I’ve just acquired one of these myself. I’ll roll it out in good time and well after I’ve completed my other two German Heller kits. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Thanks Dave ... Ahh now I get the Republican comment. :doh: Told you Im sleep deprived. This must be a later mold than the Hawk, it includes the instrument panel and control stick for the office. 

• Haha 1

Yes Dennis.. according to Scalemates the Hawk is an original 1966 mould, whilst the Bf 109B/D is a product from 1978, which to me (1977 - 82) is within Heller’s peak model producing period. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Good morning everyone...I was able to paint the prop, add the stabilizers, and finish up the detail painting. vlmtvny.jpg

y9aQM44.jpg

9Sh64GY.jpg

Will hit the decals later today or tomorrow. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Coming up really well Dennis. Can I asked what paint you’ve used for the upper and lower colours?

Cheers.. Dave 

Theyre Tamiya paints and both are mixes. The lower RLM65 is 2 parts XF-23 light blue to 1 part XF-2 flat white. The upper color is a mix for RLM63, I came up with this when I built my JU-86 build. It consists of 8 parts XF-83 medium sea grey to 2 parts XF-81 RAF Dark green.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good evening everybody... I was able to get the decals on this today. AML Decals are good I only had one decal start to fold on me (Mickymouse) and pretty sure thats my fault. iq8zI3W.jpg

ZXDU5rz.jpg

BiAROPW.jpg

xcQWLP6.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6