Bentley Blower (Humbrol 1:24)

wimbledon99

Hi All,

I might be a little late as I have to finish a Tomcat for the Vietnam build (though I might be tempted to build this in parallel). Anyhow, here are the pictures of the box and sprues that I hope to turn into something I can put on the shelf.

[EDIT: Tomcat met with issues and is no more :sad:  hence this build will start on time :happy: !! )

It's odd; as a kid I always wanted to build a 1:12 but could never afford one. Now as an adult and able to afford one, I appreciate and prefer the beauty of the smaller scale. I just hope I can do the kit some justice!

2jHBgtZ%5D

2jHwRH6%5D

2jHAryE%5D

2jHArvP%5D

2jHwRH1%5D

• Like 13

That looks lovely and it’s great to see an automobile among the many aircraft kits so far proposed. I hear you about the large kits vs. disposable income analogy, too true in many cases I think. Welcome to this GB and all the best getting this one finished. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Lovely kit, Heller at its finest, originally released in 1981  under catalogue number 722.

As Dave says, great to see some more non-aircraft entries.

Welcome to the GB and good luck.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Black Knight said:

1. Haynes did a very nice manual on the Blower Bentley

2. if you want some close-up detail photos I have some of the Blower Bentleys in my car club. Unfortunately I do not have any of the blown engine, just an-unblown 4L (afair)

Hi BK, Very kind of you. I've found some via Google that should come in handy and I need to check my Goodwood photos as there may be a couple in there. Will let you now if I get stuck! :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, TimJ said:

Same here, mine's been stalled since the late 80's! 

Hi Tim, Fingers crossed it helps! 🤞

OK - So with the boys back at Uni, the rain putting me off fishing and the wife and daughter out, I've had quite a good session at the bench today  :happy: I  didn't like the chromed parts so they've been bleached (all of them) and will be repainted. The first few are pictured below and are also in the batch of sub-assemblies and primer (also pictured below)

One thing I've had to do is switch from the Tamiya thin cement (which is always my preference) to the thicker Revell Contacta Pro. The plastic just didn't want to seem to join with the Tamiya and was not setting. I wonder if it's due to the age of the plastic or the recepie used back then :wonder:  Does anyone know or had the same experience?

2jNJJsf%5D

2jNNiw3%5D

• Like 4

Like you I have regularly problems with Tamiya thin. Some plastics just don't seem to react to it. I have switched to another solvent now (can't call it glue) which basically always work.

I will post the name when I am back home.

Love those Heller classic cars, looking forward to this build.

Rob

• Like 1

I had a look at the bottle and it is called Plastic Weld from E.M.A. Model Supplies: it is supposed to weld Styrene, Butyrate, ABS, Acrylic and Perspex.

The safety warnings on label are impressive though but I am satisfied with it.

Hope it helps (and no, I have no ties to the company).

Cheers,

Rob

• Thanks 2

Thanks Rob  :thanks:

I've think I've heard of that. I'm sure it's the stuff the chap on YouTube at ISM mixes with the Tamiya Thin.

Good to know it works, I'll have a look for it when next visiting the model supplies shop.

Cheers

I painted and finished the engine yesterday / tonight. Sorry about the pictures, the light isn't great so I've used the flash on my phone. Anyhow, hopefully they are not too bad but it does look different to the eye (different metalic shades). Maybe a couple in daylight another time will be better :think:

2jPRSpB%5D

2jPRSte%5D

2jPQZzQ%5D

• Like 10

47 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Looks really nice with paint on!

Hi and thank you  :happy:  Yep, whilst the colour is almost the same as the plastic, the paint brings it to life a tad. I originally used the Brunswick for the tank but switched to the BRG. BRG is therefore also on the chassis and will be on the bonnet and wheel guards. However, I'll use the Brunswick on the body to break up the monotone colour a touch.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 12:38 PM, Wez said:

Impressive work so far, this one is coming along nicely.

On 10/11/2020 at 4:40 PM, Bengalensis said:

Progressing very well, good work.

On 10/12/2020 at 7:27 AM, CliffB said:

This is building up beautifully.  One of the pleasures of building car kits is the construction process, which is normally quite different to say aircraft.

Thanks All - It's coming along slowly as there is quite a lot of cleaning up to do on each part but I'm pleased so far  :happy:  I'm also having to primer every part as the plastic doesn't like a thinned acrylic; a bit like it didn't like the Tamiya thin cement :wonder:

Anyhow, the body is painted with a base coat of Brunswick and I think it contrasts OK with the BRG. I've used the templates for the numbers but I'll be using the decals for the Union Flag!! Excuse the sprue; I've glued it on as a handle for now. Once it's removed, the rear seat will hide the mark when installed.

I'm thinking of leaving the body as a dry fit so it can be removed to view the parts it will hide. The same goes for the grill and bonnet. Maybe construct the front as a single piece so again, it can be lifted off; we'll see. :think:

2jUYWNw%5D

• Like 7

Really great progress, you had me going with the bit of Sprue, I thought you were going to fashion an early whale tail spoiler for the back  :surprised:

The engine looks stunning, I would imagine the racing ones looked a bit more workmen like especially while racing !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1