Italeri 1/72 Vought F4U-5N Corsair night fighter

hsr

This is my build of the Italeri 1/72 Vought F4U-5N Corsair night fighter. This is a nice kit with the only problem being that the fuselage is 10 scale inches too short for the -5 and later Corsairs. As with my AU-1 build

I wrapped a .125x.040 Evergreen styrene strip around a 9/16 socket to make a plug that was then inserted behind the cowl flaps

mYsWCULg_o.jpg

Note that I had to reconture the exhaust ports. With that it now matches the drawings

b4eiTQd3_o.jpg

I also replaced the kit engine the leftover resin R-2800 engine from my Special Hobby F2G-1 build

and added Eduard Brassin HVAR rockets. The kit comes with the stub mounts but not the rockets.

So without further adieu here is the result:

KWnULnxp_o.jpg

tscSRPcw_o.jpg

bZhKSeXT_o.jpg

owlcbpBm_o.jpg

kcM2i5UQ_o.jpg

TTAw5xXd_o.jpg

Next up is a Lockheed P2V-5 Neptune using the Hasegawa P2v-7 kit and the Blackbird conversion.

Enjoy

• Like 21

• 2 months later...

I really love the way you build these Corsairs. Since I have always been a big Corsair Fan I acquired all the Italeri kits when they were released back in the mid-90s. However, due to the fact that I was a pretty novice modeller back then I made the mistake to build them straight out of the box. I was still so naive to believe that what was then a new release by a major model company would be accurate. Well, their color guide on the back of the box even recommended to paint them in Blue Angel Blue. :suicide: But their 1/72 P-51s are even worse.

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, 112 Squadron said:

But their 1/72 P-51s are even worse.

I have seen it written that nobody gets the Allison powered P-51's right. I have a couple A-36 kits on my pile that will probably go into another kitbash to get right

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have the Italeri F4U-5N and I was aware of the problem with the length of the nose . So , I bought the Italeri F4U-7 French Corsair  which seems to have a  a longer nose . My question is can I use the F4U-7 fuselage for the F4U-5N model  or should I lengthen the nose with a plastic plug ? 

17 minutes ago, oggy4u said:

I have the Italeri F4U-5N and I was aware of the problem with the length of the nose . So , I bought the Italeri F4U-7 French Corsair  which seems to have a  a longer nose . My question is can I use the F4U-7 fuselage for the F4U-5N model  or should I lengthen the nose with a plastic plug ? 

I believe that all the Italari Corsairs have the same length fuselage and I had to lengthen my Italeri AU-1, which is the F4U-7 kit also. Have you laid the 2 fuselages side by side to see if the F4U-7 is actually longer?

19 hours ago, hsr said:

I believe that all the Italari Corsairs have the same length fuselage and I had to lengthen my Italeri AU-1, which is the F4U-7 kit also. Have you laid the 2 fuselages side by side to see if the F4U-7 is actually longer?

The F4U-7 kit has a longer nose than the - 5N kit. I have both. Is the - 7 also too short? 

Edited by noelh
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, noelh said:

Is the - 7 also too short? 

According to the drawing in the Detail & Scale book it is too short for an AU-1 and I believe that the AU-1 and F4U-7 were the same length. Perhaps @Tailspin Turtle can chime in here with better information.

• Thanks 1

Yes both the AU-1 and F4U-7 were based on the - 5 fuselage. So the same length. 

I thought Italeri had got the length right on the - 7. It was very obviously too short on - 5 kit. That's disappointing. 

Edited by noelh

On 1/27/2021 at 8:15 AM, hsr said:

According to the drawing in the Detail & Scale book it is too short for an AU-1 and I believe that the AU-1 and F4U-7 were the same length. Perhaps @Tailspin Turtle can chime in here with better information.

https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-last-propeller-pulled-corsairs-f4u.html

• Thanks 1