ILM feature on Razor Crest scale model

Dermo245

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Id love to have the Razorcrest and Ghost in 1/144th, 1/96th,  or 1/72. Sadly unless someone like Bandai does one or both its going to be strictly 3/D printed or Resin. 

I wonder what the reason manufacturers aren't making many Star Wars kits recently is. Revell stuff has been primarily reboxes of their old kits and had a few "build and play" toys but nothing that's just a normal kit recently. Bandai has theirs, but they're intended for a specific market. It just seems like very little is being done overall.

Edited by TheVoidDragon

41 minutes ago, TheVoidDragon said:

I wonder what the reason manufacturers aren't making many Star Wars kits recently is. Revell stuff has been primarily reboxes of their old kits and had a few "build and play" toys but nothing that's just a normal kit recently. Bandai has theirs, but they're intended for a specific market. It just seems like very little is being done overall.

Is it possible Disney wants to much $£€ for the trademark use ? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Is it possible Disney wants to much $£€ for the trademark use ? 

It could be be something like that, but Revell already has/had the license to use the trademark and certain ship designs and I doubt other ships like the Razorcrest would be too expensive to get the rights to as well.

Other than something like the box-scale TIE fighter, most of the Revell stuff released for the older movies over the past few years have been reboxings which is somewhat understandable, but it's that alongside that they had the license for TFA/Solo/TLJ and decided the best use for the ships from those would be what's pretty much a toy ("build and play" snaptite kits). I think it's more likely there's just a lack of interest in proper kits for some reason.

Edited by TheVoidDragon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sadly for those of us who enjoy this hobby, I think the days of mass-market kits of subjects from every major movie or TV franchise are largely done and gone.  The up-front investment of resources to bring an injection-molded kit if a licensed subject to retailers at or near the time of a new film's or series' release is just too much of a gamble from the license holder's perspective. 

Compare all the glut of products that were infamously released to limited demand when Episode I opened, vs the near complete lack of merchandising tied to season 1 of The Mandalorian. In those intervening 20 years the model and toy manufacturers have become much more risk averse, and the rise of services like Shapeways (and increasing availability/affordability of 3D printers for home use) have taken over an increasing share of the demand for a physical model or toy of the next cool ship/car/character from even the most popular franchises. 

The crowdfunded Razor Crest scaled for 3.75" figures means hardcore fans and collectors can get their heart's desire, but there are widespread complaints from those same fans that there are only a minimal amount of figures being released to major market outlets to sustain ongoing interest for casual fans, much less bringing kids into the fold of playing/collecting. 

Model construction kits have historically been an even smaller niche market than "toys," and when I saw a Bandai TROS X-Wing kit at a Target store last week it was the first time in decades that I've seen a true model on shelves in an X-mart.  The paint, glue, and tools for such kits are long gone, now only found in a few "big box" craft store chains and a dwindling number of true hobby shops.

Meanwhile there's a guy on the RPF building a 1/68 scale Razor Crest from 3D printed parts he's producing for himself at home.  It'll take some adjustment from our traditional thinking and methods, but I can't help but believe "This is the way."

• Like 2