Jump to content

1/72nd Italeri Hercules C.3P long fuselage conversion,.....RAF Lyneham Transport Wing 1980`s


Recommended Posts

Lovely work, Tony. While the longer fuselage is not my favourite, I do have the Flightpath plugs in the stash for my planned C-130J-30. There's another Italeri C-130H planned, both with the Attack squadron engine and prop sets, too. I hope they come out half as nice as yours.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stunning work, Tony! 👍 As for me, the RAF painting schemes looks far better than most of the USAF ones. The build and the story were also interesting to see, thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely in its fresh looking green and grey - nice! I’ve always had a soft spot for these as my brother was RAF Regiment 2 squadron in the 80s. He used to love ‘em and jumped from many of them before having  a collapsed canopy!

 

Edited by ian1485
Repeated
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job. 

I'm ex-Lyneham, 30 Sqn and LXX Sqn.  Certainly brings back happy memories of seven years of flying Hercs, including 294 (and 222, which was jinxed).  Might have even carried you to various DZ's whilst I was on LXX!

Trevor

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Superb work Tony. Love the colour variations in the grey - even more impressive as it's hairy sticked!

 

Cheers,

 

Roger

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Oh My!  That looks magnificent Tony, even better so for the personal connection you have with her

 

Lovely work

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, much appreciated mate.

 

4 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Lovely work, Tony. While the longer fuselage is not my favourite, I do have the Flightpath plugs in the stash for my planned C-130J-30. There's another Italeri C-130H planned, both with the Attack squadron engine and prop sets, too. I hope they come out half as nice as yours.

 

Thanks Rob,...... I like ALL Herks and good luck with your J and H. The Attack Sqn engines/props are lovely, I`m going to have a go with the dropped flaps on my next one!

 

3 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Stunning work, Tony! 👍 As for me, the RAF painting schemes looks far better than most of the USAF ones. The build and the story were also interesting to see, thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

Thanks Nicolay,  and glad you like the British Herk`s over the American ones,...... you have good taste my friend!! 

 

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Superb model 👍

Cheers Hewy. 

 

2 hours ago, ian1485 said:

Lovely in its fresh looking green and grey - nice! I’ve always had a soft spot for these as my brother was RAF Regiment 2 squadron in the 80s. He used to love ‘em and jumped from many of them before having  a collapsed canopy!

 

Thanks Ian,...... glad you thought it looked fresh in its wrap around scheme as that was exactly the look I was going for as that is how I remember them looking, alongside those wearing the older early 80`s scheme which was looking quite tired and faded by the late 80`s/ealy 90`s. Sorry to hear about your brother, did he survive? 

 

1 hour ago, klubman01 said:

Nice job. 

I'm ex-Lyneham, 30 Sqn and LXX Sqn.  Certainly brings back happy memories of seven years of flying Hercs, including 294 (and 222, which was jinxed).  Might have even carried you to various DZ's whilst I was on LXX!

Trevor

Thanks Trevor,...... that means a lot coming from somebody like yourself and massive respect,...... apart from the OCU crew who dropped me way off a DZ once (causing a serious injury!) we ALWAYS had the utmost respect and confidence in the operational crews.  Thanks for conforming what we always thought about 222 too,..... what a complete shed that aircraft was!

 

59 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Superb work Tony. Love the colour variations in the grey - even more impressive as it's hairy sticked!

 

Cheers,

 

Roger

Thanks Roger,....... glad you noticed them and that you like the model mate. 

 

Cheers everybody,

                            Tony

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Tonyot,

Superb modeling.

"Stand-Up/Hook On-Check Equipment-Stand in the Door- Green on Go".

Regards, Orion - The Netherlands.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello Tonyot,

Superb modeling.

"Stand-Up/Hook On-Check Equipment-Stand in the Door- Green on Go".

Regards, Orion - The Netherlands.

Indeed mate,.....  our drills were slightly different but you never forget them! The best jump I ever made was into Arnhem in 1988 for the commemorations and your countrymen made us very welcome indeed,..... as they did the veterans of the battle. 

Glad you like the model,.... thanks for the kind words,

                                                                                   Cheers

                                                                                            Tony

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Stunning, excellent conversion...looks great..

Thanks mate,......  glad you like it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ivan-o said:

Nicely done indeed👌👍

 

Thanks Ivan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent model of one of my favorite aircraft. Living in Cambridge I grew up to the sound of the Hercules coming in and out of Marshall's for conversion or maintenance.

I like various colour tones on some of the panels and the feathered prop which adds to the realism.

 

gazza l

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gazza l said:

Excellent model of one of my favorite aircraft. Living in Cambridge I grew up to the sound of the Hercules coming in and out of Marshall's for conversion or maintenance.

I like various colour tones on some of the panels and the feathered prop which adds to the realism.

 

gazza l

Thanks Gazza,.... glad you like it mate,...... I love the sound of a Herk. 

35 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

Done a few hours in them myself!
Not daft enough to jump out though 😀

Ah well,.... it takes all sorts mate!😀

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a stunning model, especially with the fuselage extensions. Is it normal to have just one prop feathered on its own? I would have thought that all four would be feathered, or have you done this to add interest and for artistic license, as you are certainly a great modelling artist.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another superb model, Tony, and a great personal connection. Jumping at Arnhem must have been an astonishing experience; the nearest I ever got was, like so many others, driving past the LZs and walking around Oosterbeek. Thinking about it, I’ve never even been in a C-130, never mind flown in one!

Jon

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

That is a stunning model, especially with the fuselage extensions. Is it normal to have just one prop feathered on its own? I would have thought that all four would be feathered, or have you done this to add interest and for artistic license, as you are certainly a great modelling artist.

Thanks mate,...... no the blade was feathered to replicate a flight I was on which is mentioned in the WIP when the engine had to be shut down in flight and feathered. It is not a regular thing,..... but I saw it with my own eyes. 

 

1 hour ago, Jonners said:

Another superb model, Tony, and a great personal connection. Jumping at Arnhem must have been an astonishing experience; the nearest I ever got was, like so many others, driving past the LZs and walking around Oosterbeek. Thinking about it, I’ve never even been in a C-130, never mind flown in one!

Jon

Thanks Jon,..... yeah the Arnhem jump was well up there mate....... a definite bucket list tick for sure. I would love to have done it from a Dakota,..... but the Herk was a very nice 2nd place. I was due to jump from a Danish Dakota once but the engine wouldn`t start, so it was scrubbed,..... bummer! I`ve sent you an e mail by the way.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

That is a stunning model, especially with the fuselage extensions. Is it normal to have just one prop feathered on its own? I would have thought that all four would be feathered, or have you done this to add interest and for artistic license, as you are certainly a great modelling artist.

The prop would be feathered to stop the "wind milling" prop tuning a damaged, failed or an engine with a issue.

 

Feather all four and you'll fall out of the sky

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tweeky said:

 

The prop would be feathered to stop the "wind milling" prop tuning a damaged, failed or an engine with a issue.

 

Feather all four and you'll fall out of the sky

Most, if not all, modern turbo-prop engines autofeather when shut down. So a turbo-prop powered aircraft on the ground will have all props feathered. Why this is I'm not sure, but may be due to oil pressure comma lack of same.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an absoilute delight" Having served two tours in the RAF at Lyneham and even having flown on XV294, it is no nice to see a model that is 100% true to the real thing.

 

Well done!:thumbsup:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2020 at 12:50 PM, AMB said:

This is an absoilute delight" Having served two tours in the RAF at Lyneham and even having flown on XV294, it is no nice to see a model that is 100% true to the real thing.

 

Well done!:thumbsup:

That is very nice of you to say so,...... thanks mate. I loved Lyneham,..... I cannot believe that it is no longer an RAF station,..... it was one of those places that were so important that I thought it would be there forever! 

Cheers

           Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...