1/72nd Italeri Hercules C.3P long fuselage conversion,.....RAF Lyneham Transport Wing 1980`s

tonyot

11 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Most, if not all, modern turbo-prop engines autofeather when shut down. So a turbo-prop powered aircraft on the ground will have all props feathered. Why this is I'm not sure, but may be due ko oil pressure comma lack of same.

As has been said,..... it is feathered due to a problem,...... just have a look at the WIP which has plenty of C-130 photos or check Google,..... the props on the `original' C-130`s,.... before the J model do NOT auto feather when the engine is shut down,....... they only feather if they have been feathered by the crew due to a problem in flight!

Afternoon Gents, I don't remember blades feathering on shutdown.... I do remember having to line all the props the same though...

In a '+' position... they definitely weren't feathered then.... really naff job, especially in the rain.....😭

DaveH

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DaveH said:

Afternoon Gents, I don't remember blades feathering on shutdown.... I do remember having to line all the props the same though...

In a '+' position... they definitely weren't feathered then.... really naff job, especially in the rain.....😭

DaveH

Engine failure!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tonyot said:

the props on the `original' C-130`s,.... before the J model do NOT auto feather when the engine is shut down,....... they only feather if they have been feathered by the crew due to a problem in flight!

Absolutely correct. Unlike many earlier props and most current props, the 54H60 props fitted to the C-130 since the A model (except the J), C-2, E-2 (pre-NP2000 mod), P-3, etc have no counterweights and the dome piston has fluid on both sides to drive the prop in both directions. Additional pressure is needed to overcome the low pitch stop to go to Reverse and also to drive the prop blades to the Feather position. While the P-3 has an auto-feather function, this is a sensor in the prop and activates the pump motors to feather a failed engine. The C-130 doesn't have this (or oil cooler augmentation) as standard - the Burbank and Marietta Lockheed teams obviously never spoke to each other as the P-3 doesn't have automatic oil cooler flaps like the C-130 and the two use opposite methods for engine and prop isolation!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bell209 said:

The C-130 doesn't have this (or oil cooler augmentation) as standard - the Burbank and Marietta Lockheed teams obviously never spoke to each other as the P-3 doesn't have automatic oil cooler flaps like the C-130 and the two use opposite methods for engine and prop isolation!

Sounds like a typical JANFU (Joint Air force Navy F*** Up). And we taxpayers foot the bill.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1

Tony,

Masterful work, as always. I must have a look at the WIP for this one given the many references to anecdotes etc. I must admit that I was never a fan of the 'long wheelbase' since it took longer to load and I certainly preferred the short wheelbase C.Mk.1 for TAC demos. According to my logbook I did at least two trips in '294', both epics to the West Coast of the States and Canada back in the mid-1980s.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the forthcoming Zvedza kit, which will most likely hit my LMS before those in the UK (makes a nice change !). That said, and as others have commented, you have done a great job with the old Italeri kit and those challenging resin conversion parts.

Well Done, Sir ! 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 4:41 PM, scottyphbeta said:

Congratulations on such a magnificent build.

I have a C1 in the stash and have thought about converting it to a C3, looking at yours, I may just have to give it a go.

Thanks mate,..... remember that the Zvesda C-130 kit is imminent though. That would leave you with a spare kit to cut up and experiment with! 

On 9/29/2020 at 4:29 AM, kapam said:

Can only concur with everyone else - a superb build.

Your excellent results prove you never really needed that Zvesda kit!

:clap::clap:

Thank you but I don`t know about that,..... it will be nice not to have to scribe any panel lines for a start! I`m looking forward to the Zvesda kit,..... they appear to have got a lot of the RAF markings wrong though, such as the style of the serials and the walkway lines above the wings etc,..... although I did contact them about this it may be too late?

On 9/29/2020 at 5:15 AM, Bell209 said:

Absolutely correct. Unlike many earlier props and most current props, the 54H60 props fitted to the C-130 since the A model (except the J), C-2, E-2 (pre-NP2000 mod), P-3, etc have no counterweights and the dome piston has fluid on both sides to drive the prop in both directions. Additional pressure is needed to overcome the low pitch stop to go to Reverse and also to drive the prop blades to the Feather position. While the P-3 has an auto-feather function, this is a sensor in the prop and activates the pump motors to feather a failed engine. The C-130 doesn't have this (or oil cooler augmentation) as standard - the Burbank and Marietta Lockheed teams obviously never spoke to each other as the P-3 doesn't have automatic oil cooler flaps like the C-130 and the two use opposite methods for engine and prop isolation!

Cheers Rob,..... and yes it does seem strange re the Herk and Orion systems,..... obviously different design teams in a big organisation on two sites with so much on the books during the late 40`s and early 50`s.  I could have sworn that I saw the prop on the faulty engine still feathered after the Herk shut down,..... but if I`m wrong then fair enough,... it was a long time ago.

12 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Tony,

Masterful work, as always. I must have a look at the WIP for this one given the many references to anecdotes etc. I must admit that I was never a fan of the 'long wheelbase' since it took longer to load and I certainly preferred the short wheelbase C.Mk.1 for TAC demos. According to my logbook I did at least two trips in '294', both epics to the West Coast of the States and Canada back in the mid-1980s.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the forthcoming Zvedza kit, which will most likely hit my LMS before those in the UK (makes a nice change !). That said, and as others have commented, you have done a great job with the old Italeri kit and those challenging resin conversion parts.

Well Done, Sir ! 

Long time no hear,...... I didn`t realise that you were still out in Estonia? Thanks ever so much and glad to hear that you flew 294,.... with happy memories,...... I bet you have nothing but trouble in your log book where XV222 is concerned,.... it was jinxed!!

I`m really looking forward to the Zvesda kit too,..... the RAF markings are not brilliant for XV215 `Fat Slags',.... the serials `font' looks wrong and the walkways are simple yellow lines,...... just a warning! Thanks for your very kind words...... to us the main difference between versions was that four in each stick had to sit between the para door and the ramp and it could get blowy on the C.3,..... I think that seat 13 on the C.1 was the one behind the wheel well where a pipe constantly dripped on you for the entire flight and as well as being superstitious about the jump,.... you thought that your parachute was wet through too LOL!  

11 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Magnificent beast Tony beautifully built!

Cheers Steve,..... glad you like it mate. ..ta! 

Edited by tonyot

On 9/28/2020 at 5:05 PM, woody37 said:

Just had a proper gander on the big PC screen mate, it's gorgeous. Takes me back to my air cadet days too as I was in 70Sqn and got to sit on the open ramp a few times looking into the Welsh valleys above!

Thanks Neil,..... means a lot mate. Must have been a nice experience flying through the valleys with all of that fresh air blowing around,..... rather than stuck with 90 other blokes full of kit, jammed like sardine cans in the dark with the heating turned up full blast and people honking up all around you! I did so it in the cockpit once mind you and it was amazing,..... the tail gate must have been awesome. ..... and what a memory. I have good memories of the tailgate too when a Harvard flew behind us within touching distance after a vehicle drop,.... The Air Dispatch lads played a trick on a young WRAF lass up for a jolly like me,..... I got her her all the way out to the edge of the tailgate after the vehicles had gone out,..... she just started to enjoy it and my mate handed her the end of a spare safety belt and asked if this was her,... and that she should really be hooked up LOL!!!  There I go again,... swinging the bloody lamp,..... BORING!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Rob,..... and yes it does seem strange re the Herk and Orion systems,..... obviously different design teams in a big organisation on two sites with so much on the books during the late 40`s and early 50`s.  I could have sworn that I saw the prop on the faulty engine still feathered after the Herk shut down,..... but if I`m wrong then fair enough,... it was a long time ago.

You would see a feathered prop on a faulty engine, what Rob said is the earlier model Hercs don’t have auto feather on shut-down like the J models do.

I’ve ground run enough Hercs to know you can feather on the ground. We feather to change props and we feather to remove an engine. On a faulty engine we would leave it caged.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 8:42 AM, Orion said:

Hello Tonyot,

Superb modeling.

"Stand-Up/Hook On-Check Equipment-Stand in the Door- Green on Go".

Regards, Orion - The Netherlands.

I worked with a dough head that actually hook up the red/green backwards. It was noticed before take-off.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Scooby said:

I’ve ground run enough Hercs to know you can feather on the ground. We feather to change props and we feather to remove an engine. On a faulty engine we would leave it caged.

Absolutely. Part of the rigging checks is to ensure the prop reaches Feather and Reverse on the ground. We also do both during engine runs. Unlike the Dowty props on the C-130J, you can unfeather a 54H60 prop on the ground without the engine running by means of the electric pump. Part of our Flight Engineer post-flight checks was to cycle the props through the full range after shut-down but a feathered engine would be left feathered for fault-finding purposes. The new Dowty prop is a lot easier to change, too!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scooby said:

You would see a feathered prop on a faulty engine, what Rob said is the earlier model Hercs don’t have auto feather on shut-down like the J models do.

Thanks mate,..... yes I thought that they left the feathered prop feathered after shut down,..... as I have depicted with the model,..... crikey people are making me question my memory on here! 

I know what Rob was saying,...... I never ever saw a Hercules with props feathered on the ground back then unless there was something wrong with the engine. ... as Rob has very kindly confirmed. 

Edited by tonyot
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, JrivasK said:

WoW it looks massive! how big is the kit? Great job with the building and paint job. Congrats!

Thanks mate,..... it is quite large, the same size as a standard Hercules but just a bit longer! 

6 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Absolutely. Part of the rigging checks is to ensure the prop reaches Feather and Reverse on the ground. We also do both during engine runs. Unlike the Dowty props on the C-130J, you can unfeather a 54H60 prop on the ground without the engine running by means of the electric pump. Part of our Flight Engineer post-flight checks was to cycle the props through the full range after shut-down but a feathered engine would be left feathered for fault-finding purposes. The new Dowty prop is a lot easier to change, too!

Thanks Rob,..... people on here are making me query my memory,..... like I said I could have sworn they left it feathered for obvious reasons,...... thanks for confirming it.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2020 at 7:12 PM, tonyot said:

Indeed mate,.....  our drills were slightly different but you never forget them! The best jump I ever made was into Arnhem in 1988 for the commemorations and your countrymen made us very welcome indeed,..... as they did the veterans of the battle. 

Glad you like the model,.... thanks for the kind words,

Cheers

Tony

Hello Tony,

Slightly different drills indeed.. I was educated (drilled) by the "Fallschirmjäger" in Bayern.

So long ago, that in the cadre there were even the "Real' NCOs fallschirmjäger from WW2.

Rough bunch of very professional soldiers. And like you mentioned, the drills are there forever.

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Rob,..... people on here are making me query my memory,..... like I said I could have sworn they left it feathered for obvious reasons,...... thanks for confirming it.

My most enduring memory was one of our C-130Es, which landed at RAAF Richmond with #3 AND #4 shut down! One was shut down for a suspect oil leak and the other had the turbine blades let go after that (the T56-A-7B became somewhat prone to that near the end of its life). Luckily, the right (boost) side hydraulics only powers one half of the redundant flight control boost system. Had it been the other side (and we had that once on a C-130H), they'd have needed a much longer and wider runway and would've had to go to Sydney (Richmond is only 7000' long and not all that wide. Left (utility) side powers the other half of the flight controls, nosewheel steering, flaps, undercarriage retraction/extension and normal brakes - not pretty!

• Like 1

Hi Rob.

I know how your memory comes back.  In the early 1980s I was working as civil servant for the RAF at the MOD in London, my job at the time was helping to organise the RAF display resources -BBMF, Red Arrows, SAR Helicopters and others - in public displays.  One of the perks of the job was being able to fly round the country with the teams at weekends.  Having served previously in the RAF, this was a job in a million.  On this occasion I had joined the 'Falcons Parachute Team' and their C-130 for the weekend.  One of the displays we were due to take part in was at the Newcastle Show in NE England, with the aircraft operating out of Newcastle City Airport.  After dropping the team over the Showground on Town Moor, we landed at the City Airport to await the arrival of the team bus, before we flew off to the next display.  And so, when the team were all on board and the aircraft taxied down the runway, the Captain checked that everything was OK and opened up the engines.  Half way down the runway and just about to lift off, there was an almighty Bang, the horn went off and the aircraft came to a screeching halt - we had lost the Port inboard engine.  Having dispensed with the Fire Tender and cleared with Ground Control that we were OK, we taxied to a spare Stand where the Eng and crew got out the ladder and opened up the cowling.  As I had spent my previous Service 'flying a desk' I was not expecting what happened next when they opened the cowling and a large amount of 'junk' dropped down, something in the engine had exploded and we were not going any further.  Robin.      

• Like 1

What a fabulous looking beast, superb work buddy.  As a former Royal I also had the honour of doing my jumps course back in the mid nineties.  Great times and the food at Brize Norton 'Galley' was some of the best I've had.  Was always a laugh watching all the baby Paras getting up to no good after a few shandies....!!!

Phil

2 hours ago, Booty003 said:

What a fabulous looking beast, superb work buddy.  As a former Royal I also had the honour of doing my jumps course back in the mid nineties.  Great times and the food at Brize Norton 'Galley' was some of the best I've had.  Was always a laugh watching all the baby Paras getting up to no good after a few shandies....!!!

Phil

LOL,.... Cheers Phil,.... I did my jumps course in Feb 88 with a load of Bootnecks who were going to Commachio Coy,.... so it was us,... All Arms and them and no Baby Para`s,..... and our end of course do was brilliant,.... we all ended up being put on ROP`s,.. the entire course!!! When I was posted back tt Brize 5 yrs later we had a few run ins with the Baby Para`s,..... I had my tactical wings on and one of them shouted at me calling me a `hat' and to take that Para Smock off,...... a swift trot around to PCAU soon sorted it, especially as I knew their recruit Cpl! I ended up putting a stone in weight on while posted there too,...... the scran was brill and the talent in the cookhouse was quite good too,..... sitting there with a bre people watching was a very nice pastime. 

Happy days mate and glad you like the Herk mate,

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1