304 - Big Yellow Bird. 1/72 Canadair CL-215 ** Finished **

Jb65rams

My entry is Heller's 1980 boxing of the Canadair CL-215.

Wing span wise this will be the biggest plane I have built since I got back into modelling. No idea where I will be able to display.  

spacer.png

WARNING. Time to put your sunglasses on.

spacer.png

A number of parts have come off the sprue so will leave the bag sealed until I am ready to start

The kit decals look like they have seen better days, so will be replacing with set of Leading Edge decals.  

spacer.png

• Like 18

Fantastic choice JB, have had my eye on one of these too and dare say the use of AM decals will be a must here. Never layed my eyes on this kit so looking forward to the progress. 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave

Apart from needing to wear sunglasses whilst modelling to cope with the brightness of the yellow plastic, this should be a rewarding build.

Now this is one I always aspired to but never got around to buying, I prefer the piston engined versions over the later turbine engined aircraft as I remember seeing them beached up for the winter in Canada.

Welcome and good luck.

Some years ago, one of the UK telly channels was showing a series called "Ice Pilots". It was about a tiny family-run airline in the far north of Canada, often the only method of getting supplies and spare parts to the remote settlements. The airline ran DC3s and a C46, plus had a couple of these CL-215s for the obvious reason.

Anyway, the final part of the series showed the adventures had by the guys ferrying two of the CL-215s across the Atlantic to Turkey. I was very much taken by the aircraft, but at the time the only kit was Heller's revised version with the turboprops. I never got my CL-215 in the end, so I’m very keen to see this one built.

• Like 1

I do remember "Ice Pilots" Built a Buffalo Airways DC-3 for a previous GB. Did look for Buffalo decal for this build but were unable to find any.

Have been progressing slowly over the last week. Internals painted, based of some interior shots from Google, not too accurate but you won't see it when complete. Hopefully put enough nose weight in.

spacer.png

Internals installed and fuselage buttoned up.

spacer.png

Turned mu attention to the wing. With a large wing span I wasn't convinced on the strength of the join, so decided to install a wing spar.

spacer.png 

spacer.png

• Like 10

Not much progress to report. Wings have be assembled, and tail fitted. Dry-fitting, the wing joint to the fuselage is good, so have decided I will paint the wings & fuselage separately. Will make it a lot easier to fit in in the paint booth.

spacer.png 

Despite the nose weight added, dry-fitting revealed that it is a tail sitter. Experiments suggest I need to fit another 30g in the cabin. Does raise the question as to whether the undercarriage will support the finished build. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

That is very yellow. I like. :wink:

It’s grey now, following application of primer.
Need to tidy up a few seams, then next steps will be to give it a pink coat followed by a yellow topcoat.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I worked on this build, managed to get a weeks holiday in on a canal boat with my support bubble before lockdown.

Much needed after 7 months working from home. Think its help refresh my mojo as well.

Broke out the pink primer today.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Yikes! that primer is a bit of a fright. Is it a primer filler? I can see yellow having a struggle covering that pink. There is also the possibility of bleed through.

Back in cellulose days, if a red car came in for a change of colour the only safe way to prevent bleed was to either remove the red or paint the car black first, then the new colour. I'm not overfamiliar with current paints, so can't comment there.

@TonyW The primer is from Ultimate Modelling Products, its website says it’s a water based acrylic polyurethane self levelling surface primer.

Don’t know why, the pink primer works with the yellow, the yellow covers it really well. Not my idea, first saw it used on a build thread here a number of years ago, just can’t remember which one 

Used it a number of times, including my currrent build in the Hawk GB 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spent the weekend spraying yellow from a Humbrol rattle can. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wings dry-fitted. Will add the undercarriage and decal before finally fitting the wings. Just makes it easier to handle.

Have a slight concern about the strength of the undercarriage, given the amount of weight i have added to prevent it being a tail sitter.

Only problem left to figure out where to display it when finished.

• Like 9

Looks nice so far. If you are interested , there is a set of white metal undercart parts by SAC. I have 3 sets in my stash😉:whistle:.  Good choice of decals too. I have restored my old Heller kit using the same decals as you propose. I also have another set for the CL=415 and appropriate decals to match.

Definitely no hiding this one. Still trying to find a place for it to live when completed.

@Paul J Thanks for the heads up about the SAC metal undercart set. Will maybe look for a set at some point, in the meantime I adopted a different solution.

Using some clear perspex I constructed a small cradle to hold it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can also see I have made a start on the decaling. Takes a lot of setting solution to get them to settle, still end up with a few wrinkles!

Having used the Airfix hi-vis decals on a Provost I wasn't looking forward to them, but reading the instruction helped!, it suggest using hot water to soften the decal, and it worked, the decals conformed to the leading edge really well.

• Like 9