Russia retrieves P-39 from Black Sea

bentwaters81tfw

Turned in its grave?  More like developed full military power!!

From the same section:-

"But the model was known for being very unstable and could lose control easily as it operated a non-standard layout for that time with the engine located at the rear of the fuselage."

and

"It was fast but not very stable when flown above 15,000 feet (5000m) as it lacked a turbo-charger. "

🤣🤣🤣

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Reads like a poorly translated press release and virtually unreadable as so many adverts in the piece. 

At least you can read it I cant even get it to open up. 

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

The other alternative (and preferable in my view) is not to go near the site. 

Probably a good idea

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 1

Original TV plots about the rise of the plane:

1. Daily mail was mistaken for a year.  the plane crashed in the summer of 1945 after the end of the war.

2.They already tried to lift the plane but something went wrong.  Who tried it is unknown, perhaps black archaeologists who would then ferry this plane west for money.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:42 PM, EwenS said:

But the model was known for being very unstable and could lose control easily as it operated a non-standard layout for that time with the engine located at the rear of the fuselage."

As they say in Russia: "They heard the bell but they don't know where it is."

The P-39 was indeed unstable and easily went into a spin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(aerodynamics)

when it used up all the ammunition for its guns and machine guns.

And Cobra spin badly, withdrawal from spin was just as difficult. Leaving Cobra in the air with a parachute was also difficult, because many pilots broke their legs on the tail, also, many pilots were afraid of landing on the ground without releasing the landing gear, because with a rough landing, the engine shaft passing between the pilot's legs could break off and hit the pilot between the legs exactly there ...

But the pilots liked the powerful weapons, good visibility, good aerobatic characteristics and good radio communication ... so TsAGI, together with Bell, worked on improving the characteristics of the spin and even for this they sent a group of Soviet test-pilot to the United States on Bell Aircraft factory, a documentary was even filmed about it at that time, I looked at it on YouTube but so far I can not find it.

It is argued that the joint work of TsAGI and Bell yielded results and the P-63 already had good characteristics in breaking out of a spin.

After war Kotchetkov tasted Me-262 in LII and also La-250.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aardvark said:

a documentary was even filmed about it at that time, I looked at it on YouTube but so far I can not find it.

Found, but film without sound:

In a somewhat artistic form, this visit is described in the book by Igor Shelest "I Fly for a Dream", an excerpt in Russian here:

https://testpilot.ru/review/fdream/kingcobra.htm

Kotchetkov tasted P-63 on spin....early P-63 have exactly the same problems with the spin as the P-39, so Kochetkov had to escape from the parachute, remains of P-63 Kochetkov:
image73.jpg

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 2