Revell 1/72 Hawk T.1 Group build chat

Surprise GB with Sponsorship, This year!!! Poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. This is the poll for the Surprise GB with Sponsorship, This year!!! GB with the name to be confirmed. Here we will have the vote for the choice of kit to be built. I've had to start a new topic as I can't seem to be able to add a poll to the existing post,

• Revell 1/72 Hawk T1
    • Airfix 1/72 P-40

This poll is closed to new votes

Hello everyone,

Some of you maybe aware that in 2018 we had a surprise sponsored GB added in the calendar at the end of the year, We had a mustang GB with everyone all building the same kit, the Airfix newish mustang in 1/72. This GB was sponsored by Jadlam Racing models. 

I've been approached by Jadlam again as they really like these GB since they first got involved with sponsorship back in 2016, in fact, if this goes ahead it will be the third GB they sponsored. The first time they donated £150+ worth of kits, the 2nd time they gave the winner a brand new Revell 1/48 beaufighter and everyone that took part a £5 gift voucher. 

They will be happy to provide kit/s as prizes again!!!

I've just been speaking with Enzo and he is very keen to have another surprise GB added to "this years calendar" to run for 6 weeks from 31st of October to the 14th of December this year. It would be squeezed in to the currently calendar. Enzo has given permission to include this without requiring a vote, we just need 15+ participants 

How this would work is the same as the mustang GB in 2018. Everyone needs to build the same model subject but everyone using the same kit. With the mustang GB everyone built the airfix mustang 1/72 kit but could add aftermarket decals, parts scratch built to the kit. The plan was to see everyone working on the same kit. The kit would have to be inexpensive and if anyone wants to take part that doesn't have the kit in the stash, Jadlam would sort you out one with a discount. 

The main aim is to find a minimum of 15 people willing to take part and a choice of subject to build and the kit in question, this would be a kit we could vote for

So, anyone game?

Members game so far. * indicates certain kit or type.  Anyone else can still put their names down to take part. 

1 Host - Thepureness

2 Corsairfoxfouruncle

3 roland pulfrew

4 Reini

5 mig eater *

6 john masters

7 anatol pigwa

8 black knight

9 zebra * 

10 cliff B

11 vppelt68

12 Valkyrie

13 tony W

14 Dave R

15Cya

16 Hockey boy

17 Phantombigstu

I've stopped adding people to the list as we've have enough people to take part. 

The poll is now close and the chosen kit is the Revell 1/72 Hawk T.1 

Below are the rules for the GB.

* This GB is for the Revell 1/72 T.1 Hawk 04970

* GB will start on 31st of October and end 14th December

* Builders are allowed to improve the kit through any means they wish, which includes after market products including decals and parts (etched, resin etc) 

* Aftermarket conversion parts are also permitted 

* What ifs are also permitted to give modellers that creative freedom but a back story needs to go on there starting post to explain the What If"

* The voting system will not be in place and instead the sponsor will be choosing the winning build/s

* Anyone that requires the kit can order the kit directly from Jadlam at a discounted price of £8.95 https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/revell-04970-bae-hawk-t-1-1-72-plastic-model-kit/ or you can also of course source through other means.

* Red Arrow boxing of the kit, kit number 04921 can be used as that is the same base kit if you have it in your stash or is easier to source.

* Prizes for the three best builds!!!

The poll is closed, please do not vote any more as I need to contact a mod to remove the poll as I couldn't edit the first post to add updates

• Like 5

To give you all a scenario for an example. 

Say we decide to go with the Airfix p-40 in 1/72. We can then all build the kit in any boxing as it is the same base kit, but we can choose our own decals, etched, resin or even straight out the box. Its all a person choice on the builder. 

The aim is to find an aircraft that has multiple different choices in markings and for the builder to be creative on the subject. 

But we can choose any kit. The only thing is to keep the price down for those that wish to take part but on a limited budget 

• Like 3

I'm in, depending on the kit. Aircraft for me, and would have to be either in my stash already or available in Australia (the Jadlam offer of a discount is great, and I'm not averse to buying from overseas, but the state of international mail to Australia at the moment is such that I could order it tomorrow and wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't here by 31 October!). 

From my current stash, my suggestion would be the recent tools of the MiG-29 or Su-27 family from Zvezda in 1/72, which are very nice kits and some of them also available in Revell boxes. These are around the 20 quid mark in the UK, so maybe we'd want something cheaper than that.

Aside from that, since I'd be dependent on things being in stock in Australia, I'll leave it to everyone else to decide and if it's something I can get easily I'll join in.

• Like 1

Could this be included as part of a GB already in the calendar? While that would help an already crowded and busy calendar it may not give Jadlam the same level of coverage a stand-alone STGB will :hmmm:

30 minutes ago, Col. said:

Could this be included as part of a GB already in the calendar? While that would help an already crowded and busy calendar it may not give Jadlam the same level of coverage a stand-alone STGB will :hmmm:

This was looked into, most have already started and the only remaining STGB was the panther, which I didn't want to highjack. Like 2018, Enzo gave permission for this to be included as a short small kit GB.

The other good sign is we have about ten people that are interested.

Once we have the 15+ required we'll then start looking at the kit we can build and people can throw ideas at the group. we can they run a poll on the ideas given

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thepureness said:

Once we have the 15+ required we'll then start looking at the kit we can build and people can throw ideas at the group. we can they run a poll on the ideas given

This is a chicken or egg dillema, isn't it?

I.e. some people are focusing in a certain scale or subject and might join depending on thr topic.

It would certainly be helpful if scale and broad topic would be proposed beforehand (i.e 1/72 airplane or 1/35 AFV or 1/700 ship).

I am certain though that the 'usual suspects' alone will fill the 15 spots required.

16 minutes ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

This is a chicken or egg dillema, isn't it?

I.e. some people are focusing in a certain scale or subject and might join depending on thr topic.

It would certainly be helpful if scale and broad topic would be proposed beforehand (i.e 1/72 airplane or 1/35 AFV or 1/700 ship).

I am certain though that the 'usual suspects' alone will fill the 15 spots required.

this is part of the suprise element of the GB. because you will be building an unknown kit. 

The most likely suspect would be a small 1/72 kit as we try to cater for all types of budgets

Why not ask Jadlam to jump on board the Classic Heller GB that’s about to start on 03 October? The hosts @Wez, @JOCKNEY, @Heather Kay, @JeroenS and I have been contemplating a sponsor for our GB, so perhaps Jadlam could help fire up sales for the newly boxed Heller kits and no doubt promote themselves ‘to the world’ in the process. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

I totally agree with Dave and I think that there are enough Gb for the coming months ..

Patrice

The problem isn't the number of GB's, it that they are all far too tempting leading you to enter too many and finish hardly any !

Having to reinforce the shelf of doom as we speak !

Cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Why not ask Jadlam to jump on board the Classic Heller GB that’s about to start on 03 October? The hosts @Wez, @JOCKNEY, @Heather Kay, @JeroenS and I have been contemplating a sponsor for our GB, so perhaps Jadlam could help fire up sales for the newly boxed Heller kits and no doubt promote themselves ‘to the world’ in the process. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I didn't want to step on their toes. I also spoke with Jadlam about the Heller GB. Speaking with them they really like the idea of everyone building the same kit and seeing how different modellers tackle the same model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2