Heinkel He 177 Greif

IanC

Hello all. Like the real aircraft, my attempt at Revell's 1/72 Heinkel He 177 had a protracted and difficult development. It's not the kit's fault - apart from some poor clear parts and a few fit issues it's a cracker, but I managed to make a right meal of it and almost gave up after losing various parts and cocking up the paint. Anyway, I was pleased to finally get the beast finished and present it here for inspection. It's marked as a 2./KG 40 aircraft, in standard RLM 70/71/65 with RLM 76 'clouds' over the darker blue, and carrying two Fritz X anti-ship glide bombs. I left off the third as I'm not sure the real aircraft could carry three at a time.

Thanks for looking!  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 70
  • Thanks 1

Nice job - the kit is a good one too.  Used to have one myself until I got hold of the Special Hobby/MPM one in the one true scale (1:48)... I'll just be hiding over here while everyone disagrees with me about the scale :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

Nice job - the kit is a good one too.  Used to have one myself until I got hold of the Special Hobby/MPM one in the one true scale (1:48)... I'll just be hiding over here while everyone disagrees with me about the scale :D

Thanks Mike. 1/48? This thing's big enough for me in the one true scale.. ;)  

9 minutes ago, pizzapaolo said:

Something about the look of 177 that is really unique and yours is a cracking result, really nice job on the splinter camo too. I made one about 4 years ago and agree on the clear parts not being great. Will definitely make another!

Many thanks! Yes, it's an aircraft that's always interested me. I'm glad I've got one under my belt, but I won't be making another! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Looking at the finished model, you'd never guess there were issues building it. It definitely looks superb to me!

That's very kind of you to say. One problem was ironically a result of how good the kit is. The wing to fuselage join was so precise that I decided to build and paint the aircraft in sections and bring it all together at the end, to make handling easier. Which worked fine until just after final weathering when I knocked the starboard wing off - twice. I hadn't managed to get a strong enough joint, which necessitated a bit of re-gluing and respraying - twice. Ah well...  

• Like 1

This is a wonderful job you have done.  I love the weathering you have done to slightly change the color tone on the side panels.  I built the MPM 1/48 one and it is big but no bigger that Monograms B-17 or B-24.  Very similar in size as it is actually a 4 engine bomber, just that it is driving only two props.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DavidRezabek said:

Great build of an awesome looking airplane! Love your weathering on the under side. Maybe display it inverted every other day so it gets appreciated?

- David

Cheers Dave. It's a Saturday today so:    😄

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Harold55 said:

This is a wonderful job you have done.  I love the weathering you have done to slightly change the color tone on the side panels. 

Thanks Harold. Actually it's supposed to be the 'cloud' camouflage but the effect is probably a bit too subtle! The fuselage sides should perhaps be more like the underside as shown above.

• Like 1