Greetings from Detroit

Ray B.

I used to build kits with my dad back when I was ten or so, but didn't really have the patience to stick with it back then. Started up again last October and now I have more kits and supplies than I know what to do with.

I've seen some great builds here and it seems like a nice community. Looking forward to seeing everyone's work going forward.

• Like 3

:welcome: aboard Ray :yes:

Just now, Ray B. said:

now I have more kits and supplies than I know what to do with.

Your commitment to your hobby is admirable.  Your SO may disagree, but we think that's great :D

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ray B. said:

I don't know what part of me thought I really needed seven F-16s (and two F-2As), but clearly I have plans for them!

I know one loony who has about 70ish Sabre models, so don't feel too bad (yet). ;)

• Haha 1

Welcome, Ray! Another Midwesterner here, from Dennis's neck of the woods, though now quite happily transplanted to suburban Balt-ee-more.

Hope you enjoy your time here -- it's an absolutely splendid group of folks -- and I very much look forward to seeing some of your projects!

2 hours ago, Ray B. said:

Something to the effect of 55 kits so far, I think. Of which I've completed... two.

Not to worry...that's probably a far more common stash-to-build ratio than you might imagine!

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Ray: Greetings from DC, great to have you on board, and 7 F-16s (aka "Vipers" aka "Lawn Darts") is hardly cause for concern here.  Some people in this forum have that many unbuilt C-130s!  I think you'll find there are a great many returnees to this hobby in exactly your position.

There once was a Squadron Shop in Detroit--I think it was the original.  How is the situation, shop-wise, now?  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Ray: Greetings from DC, great to have you on board, and 7 F-16s (aka "Vipers" aka "Lawn Darts") is hardly cause for concern here.  Some people in this forum have that many unbuilt C-130s!  I think you'll find there are a great many returnees to this hobby in exactly your position.

There once was a Squadron Shop in Detroit--I think it was the original.  How is the situation, shop-wise, now?  

There's a decent handful of options in the metro area and further out. Nankin Hobby has a few locations in the metro and they're my go-to for Tamiya and Hasegawa kits. Modelcave out in Ypsilanti has a bunch of stuff, but unfortunately there's no entering the building at the moment. Michigan Toy Soldier up in Royal Oak has all the painting stuff I could want.

Admittedly, the bulk of my damage has been done online (Sprue Brothers, eBay), but there's enough about that I can usually find that one thing I forgot this time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ray B. said:

I don't know what part of me thought I really needed seven F-16s

Gidday Ray, welcome aboard. Only seven? I've got that many HMS Suffolks, Nelsons, Belfasts, and nearly that many Prinz Eugens, Repulses, Manxmans and a few others. (I'm a 1/600 scale ship modeler). Why that many? For conversions, whiffs and in the case of Belfast, spare parts. I'm sure you'll think of what do do with yours. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1