Hurricane Mk I

Thanks, Stew.

Always good to see a Westie.😉

I'm getting into this build without too much knowledge of Hurricanes. That might help: I've read somewhere in a Hurricane thread in this GB that there are numerous little mistakes on the Hasegawa kit. So, I won't worry about those.

I do believe that the Quickboost exhausts are a later (fishtail) type, so I'll use them in another build.    

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Getting the 5 major pieces of the cockpit together seemed a bit daunting, but I succeeded. 

I don't think that much of the interior will be visible, I used the Hasegawa decal for the instrument panel.

I figured out that there is a mistake in the Hasegawa instructions: the tell us to use exhaust parts V1 and they call them "Fishtail exhaust pipes". That is the correct part to use, but these are not "Fishtail" exhausts. Parts L3 are Fishtail exhausts, they're in the box but marked as not to be used for this version.

b5QpgqJ.jpg

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 3

On 25/09/2020 at 14:44, Stefan Buysse said:

I think I'll build the No 17 Sqn option with the winged Popeye.

from the kit you have, you can't, well, not OOB anyway.

The Hase kit is a standard P**** serial Hurricane.

this is the image you usually see,

Hawker-Hurricane-I-RAF-17Sqn-YBJ-N2359-S

this is the other one

StevensLW-portrait1-opt.jpg

a N**** serial with metal wings, has 5 spoke wheels, (visible)  and in this case, a De Havilland Hurricane prop.  It also does not have the little trop vents all Hasegawa Hurricanes have, which are where the bottom of the B is in the above.

Props are easy, all the Airfix new tool have two.

Wheels are easy, if you have access to an Eduard Merlin 60 spitfire, they have 4 and 5 spoke hubs, drill out the existing (which is too small) with a 6 mm or 1/4 inch drill bit, and fit the new hubs.  

The early Hurricane batch also lack the rectangular access hatch on the starboard side 

the one in the roundel and the W in this image

Hawker-Hurricane-I-RAF-17Sqn-YBW-Bird-Wi

Note, the Hase instruction will say interior is grey green, it's not, apart from the upper side walls, and rear bulkhead, the rest is aluminium paint, seat as well.

And, just a quick FYI,  you can't build L1926/DU-J or P3854/VY-Q either, both are fabric winged. 

I'm after the VY-Q/P3854 decals, and have spare props and wheel hubs, but need to clear space in my PM box,  though you can email via the IPMS link, and there is one on my profile.

HTH

• Like 3

Hi, Troy.

Thanks for the information.

I'll contact you about where to send the VY-Q/P3854 decal option. I need to go to the Post Office this week anyway.

Don't worry about getting the spare parts to Belgium...I have the parts in my stash.

A couple of questions.

*Just before I saw your post, I had realised myself that the plan to build this one as the YB-J/N2359 option was in a bit of trouble.

The spinner was the clue. I knew that N2359 didn't have the more blunt Rotol spinner and when I looked at the pointier spinner that is also in the Hasegawa kit (Part K3), I saw that it was too long.

What is K3? Is that for later Mk's of Hurricane only?

*I'm considering switching this build to P3395/JX-B. Does that one have 4-spoke hubs? Are the 4-spoke hubs the usual type for the P-serialled Mk 1's I can live with the fact that the existing hub in the Hasegawa kit is a bit too small.

*I would then use the Italeri kit to build N2359/YB-J. Is there something I should know about that one?

Cheers, Stefan.     

3 hours ago, Stefan Buysse said:

What is K3? Is that for later Mk's of Hurricane only?

K3 is a reasonable representation of a CM/1 spinner. Some late Mk.I's have them, and they are used on on the Mk.II/IV, along with another types, the ES/9.

see here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

and here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235078582-hurricane-rotol-spinners-the-cm1-vs-es9-quest

it's a work in progress.   To be fair,  this info is not in any of the books on the subject, except the Wingleader book that came out this year.

It's just a leftover part,  I REALLY hate they way Hasegawa gate off spares and alternate parts.   Some of their kits have the Hurricane De Havilland unit in them. 

I'm considering switching this build to P3395/JX-B. Does that one have 4-spoke hubs? Are the 4-spoke hubs the usual type for the P-serialled Mk 1's I can live with the fact that the existing hub in the Hasegawa kit is a bit too small.

yes, is the answer, and P3395 is what the hase boxing you have  is intended to represent, a standard mid production Mk.I

4 spoke hubs are standard for all Hurricane except the L**** and N**** ones.

*I would then use the Italeri kit to build N2359/YB-J. Is there something I should know about that one?

*sigh* 

Italeri do what Italeri do.   It's a pigs ear to be honest, quite a staggering amount amount of getting it really not quite right.

For the non obsessed, replace the spinners, and reduce the size of the nose ring.

And avoid the 3 spoke hubs..... I have seen one photo of a warbird with them ever.

for the obsessed..... here as far as the list got....

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935596-sea-hurricane-148-italeri/&do=findComment&comment=1390213

HTH

T

• Like 2

Might be a bit late here but if that's the 1/48 kit don't use part K15, it's the bomb fusing switches which wouldn't be carried on a BoB Mk.I. Probably not a biggie if the canopy is going to be buttoned up but thought I'd mention it just in case.

One thing to watch the underside fuselage to wing join. Someone at Hasegawa must have had a brain fart moment because low and behold the join is right in the middle on the fabric. It's not difficult to tidy up with filler but is a bit of a faff because of the "corrugations".

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

With only just over a week left in the GB, I'm switching this build to P3395/JX-B.

Smithy,

Thanks for the info. I've left if off, good to know that K15 is a bomb fusing switch box.

This morning, I had a look at the fuselage to wings fit and I see what you mean.

Troy,

Thanks again for the info and the links.

I'm going to have to study the propellers for a while.   

Reading the posts in the threads, I see that I'm not the only one who bought the Italeri kit at the time because I could not find a Hasegawa Mk 1 and the Airfix kit wasn't out yet.

I found this Hasegawa kit second hand at a modellers' meet after the Airfix kit had been released.

Cheers, Stefan.

Edited by Stefan Buysse

Thanks, Stew.

Painting went quite well...although I still have to remove the masking.

Here she is as she was on friday night, photographed this morning just before I applied the masking for the Dark Green.

O3wGItD.jpg

The Dark Green has been sprayed on now.

While that dries I have some minor painting to do: the wheels, the exhausts and the yellow of the propeller tips.

Cheers, Stefan.   

• Like 1

Hi,

By late saturday afternoon, she looked like this.

zaVVoea.jpg

I managed to get the decals and the minor remaining bits on before the completed builds thread got locked. 

Here are my two BoB builds together.

mUISAAJ.jpg

I'm quite pleased to have a Hurricane. I might well build another one during the Interceptor GB. I'm thinking of the Italeri one, I'll just avoid the 3-spoke hubs, 

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 5

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

It was indeed a "Hurri finished in a hurry".😉

Maybe a bit of pressure is good. I was a bit apprehensive of applying that yellow band decal to the spinner. 

On saturday night, there was no option but to go for it. It's a bit further aft than the instructions show, but at least it's reasonably vertical.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 1