1/72 PZL P.11c H161. The Heller Polish Duo Part One (Finished)

fightersweep

After a quick re-shuffle away from my intended Heller GB launch kits, I decided upon this little beauty. A fine effort from Heller methinks, and I'm really looking forward to getting cracking on this one...

50382514577_24b6dee843_c.jpg

It just had to be a classic Heller "black box" for me. These were the boxes in which I discovered the Heller magic back in 1982.

50381635098_e295898c3a_c.jpg

Crisply moulded, nice detail, no flash and lots of French panache. What's not to like?

50382337181_13997b0431_c.jpg

Typical Heller instructions, the predictable yellowed decals and a very mummified looking green bottle of Heller glue. Off to the Big H for more decals methinks!

50381634983_776edbf082_c.jpg

For me, Heller means nostalgia and my modelling youth. Once I discovered Heller back in the day, there was no looking back. Their kits became my first choice when available. To bathe in rose tinted Heller nostalgia, my builds shall use gloriously old enamel paints and hairy sticks. Huzzah!

50382337436_743175a022_c.jpg

For the ambient mood, I shall have background music supplied by my trusty Sharp GF-6060, my 13th birthday present in Oct 1982. A bit of Japan should do the trick!

50381635373_55fdc7a4f8_c.jpg

...And while the paint and glue is drying, a bit of relevant research material for the build will come in handy along with a nice cuppa and a bickie!

Happy days!

• Like 13

Hurrah!  Another member of the Wez Heller Hoard!  Glad to see this one surface.

I have some Techmod decals for mine, got 'em from the Big H.

Bienvenue et bonne chance

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TonyW said:

My eyes lit up when I saw that comic!

They are fab! I've still got my original stash, along with the Air Ace Picture Library "Holiday Specials". I only bought the aviation related stories as I was just obsessed with it all. Wonder if I can find one that matches each build?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

50382337436_743175a022_c.jpg

For the ambient mood, I shall have background music supplied by my trusty Sharp GF-6060, my 13th birthday present in Oct 1982. A bit of Japan should do the trick!

Ah, David Sylvian, Even by the standard of the new romanticism of the period, he took effête fobbishness to ridiculous extremes.

Enjoy the build.

22 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Ah, David Sylvian, Even by the standard of the new romanticism of the period, he took effête fobbishness to ridiculous extremes.

They were indeed rather pretentious new romantic art school dandies, but I quite liked the music. Seem to recall their earlier look was more of the glam rock persuasion, and I think they missed the boat a bit on that one too. I felt something French would have been more appropriate, but the fightersweep music collection is lacking in Gallic tunes. I can rustle up some Telex. Technically Belgium, but hey! It's only next door!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

They were indeed rather pretentious new romantic art school dandies, but I quite liked the music. Seem to recall their earlier look was more of the glam rock persuasion, and I think they missed the boat a bit on that one too. I felt something French would have been more appropriate, but the fightersweep music collection is lacking in Gallic tunes. I can rustle up some Telex. Technically Belgium, but hey! It's only next door!

There's always Johnny Hallyday on Youtube...

14 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

There's always Johnny Hallyday on Youtube...

Ah! My nostalgia kick demands that it has to be either cassette or vinyl I'm afraid. I'll certainly check him out though.

• Like 1

What a wonderful intro to this GB, probably the best so far (although I’ve not read your PZL.23 thread yet). This promises to be a great build and the spread of crisp parts are such a delight to behold. I’m impressed with your ability to keep it in this unstarted state for so long, that’s looks too tempting to wanna make an early start. 

Big welcome to this GB and all the best.. Dave

Good luck with this one

I made its predecessor the P-7A a while ago but I believe I got all the colours wrong, they are supposed to be a shade of brown, I did mine khaki because that's how I've always seen them pictured.

IMG_5157

Watch out for the undercarriage, hopefully Heller will have got proper attachment points on theirs, so that it doesn't keep collapsing !

Best of luck with the build

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

On 9/25/2020 at 2:24 PM, fightersweep said:

After a quick re-shuffle away from my intended Heller GB launch kits, I decided upon this little beauty. A fine effort from Heller methinks, and I'm really looking forward to getting cracking on this one...

It just had to be a classic Heller "black box" for me. These were the boxes in which I discovered the Heller magic back in 1982.

Crisply moulded, nice detail, no flash and lots of French panache. What's not to like?

Typical Heller instructions, the predictable yellowed decals and a very mummified looking green bottle of Heller glue. Off to the Big H for more decals methinks!

For me, Heller means nostalgia and my modelling youth. Once I discovered Heller back in the day, there was no looking back. Their kits became my first choice when available. To bathe in rose tinted Heller nostalgia, my builds shall use gloriously old enamel paints and hairy sticks. Huzzah!

...And while the paint and glue is drying, a bit of relevant research material for the build will come in handy along with a nice cuppa and a bickie!

Happy days!

Fantastic! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I made its predecessor the P-7A a while ago but I believe I got all the colours wrong, they are supposed to be a shade of brown, I did mine khaki because that's how I've always seen them pictured.

Watch out for the undercarriage, hopefully Heller will have got proper attachment points on theirs, so that it doesn't keep collapsing !

Nice P-7 Sir! Thanks for sharing. To be honest, I've always seen P.11s depicted in colour profiles as being more of a green colour. If the old Humbrol 142 is the closest match, with a dash of 163, then it's a definite shade of mud. Yes! The undertrollies! I was having a look at the U/C on the kit last night. There appears to be no visible means of support. Could prove interesting.

Steve

• Like 2

Back in the 1960's I built the Revell P-11 and liked it, but at that time I don't think there were any other Polish WWII planes available so it eventually went into storage and then got lost. I quite fancy doing another one with perhaps a Karas and Los to go with it, but not just now!.

Pete

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Back in the 1960's I built the Revell P-11 and liked it, but at that time I don't think there were any other Polish WWII planes available so it eventually went into storage and then got lost. I quite fancy doing another one with perhaps a Karas and Los to go with it, but not just now!.

Pete

Oy @Enzo Matrix. Pete needs a bit of your special coaching :fight:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 3

The ZTS kit might be the old Ruch one from the 1960s, which is even older than the Revell. I think the IBG kit is a brand new tooling. There's also a recent tooling from Arma Hobbies, which will be very nice if it's like their Hurricanes and Wildcat.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Anybody know anything about kits from IBG and ZTS - are they copies and are they any good?

Pete

I havent built an IBG plane but I've done a couple of their vehicles. Everything in their range is their own new tool. The moulding is crisp, there's mountains of detail (sometimes too much - e g.individual track links on a 1/72 Universal Carrier 😲) and the plastic is lovely and easy to work with. They're even relatively cheap. If you like the subject, give them a go.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Right chaps! Enough of that non Heller talk, and off to the naughty step with you all! 🤣

As mentioned in my P.23 thread, it's been a manic weekend in the Fightersweep household, but some bench time was grabbed. That P.11 is just itching to be built, and built it shall be. This is going to be an OOB build, and old skool all the way. After market decals will be the only concession as the decals are a bit yellowed. Normally, a week of sun bleaching in the window would cure that, but it's been raining cats, dogs and the four horsemen of the apocalypse here, so that's out of the question. Time to size up the sprues....

50419198206_0f2961acce_c.jpg

Well, they look nice don't they? Again, nice and crisp mouldings, flash free and some cursory dry fit fondling again reveals a good fit. Those French chaps knew what they were doing. 

Like the P.23, the P.11 got the cockpit fitted together and also the wings, which fell together with no issues. I think this maybe a fairly problem free build, although those spindly, weak looking undertrollies have me raising a Spock like eyebrow. They could prove illogical. So! Not much to report, but a start nonetheless! 

50419198116_e1049ae99e_c.jpg

P.S. Once again, any ideas on the cockpit colour folks? The instructions call out "Gris Pearl". Is that correct?

Steve

• Like 3