770 - Scania LB 141 - Finished!

JeroenS

Fun fact: a standard 1/24 Italeri truck tyre will hold exactly 1 sheet of 3-layered toilet paper, rolled lengthwise 🙂 

I always fill the tyres with paper before fitting them, they will fit better that way. Anyway, tyres are on!

20201115175247-1bab53ec-me.jpg

It really is starting to look like something now. I brushed a dark brown wash over the whole thing, this works well with the light grey, adding some depth. Of course, more will be done but it is a good first step. 

20201115175247-d2a059fe-me.jpg

All air tanks are present and accounted for 🙂 ... Someone really went haywire with the red primer here.

20201115175856-7d533c7e-me.jpg

The suzi rack I put together looks pretty nice I think. The other ends of the hoses and wires are glued to the insides of the chassis as inconspicuously as possible. I think I have some PE tie wraps somewhere, maybe I'll add a couple to hold the smaller wire in place. 

20201115175246-a3ebd110-me.jpg

Right, dinner!

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Excellent work Jeroen looks great 👍 Don't forget to add the grease to the fifth wheel and maybe a dog clip 🙂👍

Grease coming up, that one's on the list :-)... But what is a dog clip?

This pic will give you the idea mate though this one would probably not be correct for your build 

spacer.png

Just Google fifth wheel dog clip mate and you'll find what you're looking for 😉👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Aaah right @Andy J, that thing! I had no idea it was called that. I'll see what I can do, it's not supplied in the kit.

Go on mate impress me with some scratch building 😉👍

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Go on mate impress me with some scratch building 😉👍

Aw come on Andy, let's make the next one a challenge shall we 😉 

I had 2 beers, dinner and then I fixed this dog thingy... 

20201115200724-1f816b43-me.jpg

Seriously though, I presume this is for releasing the trailer's kingpin? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Aw come on Andy, let's make the next one a challenge shall we 😉 

I had 2 beers, dinner and then I fixed this dog thingy... 

20201115200724-1f816b43-me.jpg

Seriously though, I presume this is for releasing the trailer's kingpin? 

Yes mate that's exactly what it's for 🙂👍

• Like 1

Alright, today's final update... Mudguards are on. It's starting to look pretty complete. A bit more weathering to go. Then, cab. 

20201115215910-0b74e074-me.jpg

20201115215909-f19e58f1-me.jpg

And yes, the red paint mishaps are deliberate 🙂 

• Like 6

A little bit of progress since last time but I'll take it. The doors are ready for primer. They consist of two parts, inner and outer, where the inner part is clear. Actually not that bad, I always break a sweat when putting in these small separate windows, now I only had to mask them. Not my favourite job but I'm slowly getting better at it. And I know I have nothing to complain about, I see you aircraft people struggling with those tiny canopies 🙂 

20201117212731-a3d26b45-me.jpg

Also, somewhere in between I managed to prime the outside of the roof and front. When I wanted to do the insides it started raining... But, I did glue in a piece of strip on the inside of the roof which is pushing the caved in rear wall in the desired shape. The final position of the roof will be just a little bit more backward, and the fit is then very good. 

20201117212731-3c32594d-me.jpg

I'm going to respray the red oxide with grey. Tomorrow should be relatively warm and dry so I'll risk an airbrush session (probably the last one this year) to paint the entire cab blue. Then, I'll repaint parts with my Vallejo Cavalry Brown. 

The doors fit pretty well, the gap with the front is just because it all lacks glue. The doors are a little tall though, so I'll have to shave something off one end. I think the bottom because they seem to be sitting just a tad high. 

20201117212732-18cc3369-me.jpg

I found my PE binders and used two of them on the smaller wire. 

20201117212732-a31ddfa1-me.jpg

Did some weathering on the mudguards and put a layer of white glue on the fifth wheel. I hope that when painted and such, this looks like a nice layer of grease. 

20201117212733-59ad4b40-me.jpg

I repainted one side of the mudguard in black to get rid of the symmetry. 

20201117212730-07e12549-me.jpg

• Like 5

Nice work Jeroen particularly the white glue for the grease on the fifth wheel 👍.  This build seems a good place to practise skills you'll be using soon on a larger scale kit 😉 👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andy J said:

Nice work Jeroen particularly the white glue for the grease on the fifth wheel 👍.  This build seems a good place to practise skills you'll be using soon on a larger scale kit 😉 👍

Yeah I wonder if I can get one somewhere 🙂 

41 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Jeroen, This is looking marvellous. It makes me want to go and buy a 1/24 truck but I know it won’t be anywhere as easy as you’re making it seem! :wonder:

Thanks, well you know you have to start somewhere! I haven't done that many 1/24 trucks myself actually, so I think it may well be as easy as it seems 🙂 ... The basic parts are pretty big and all so almost no fiddly stuff. It's only that truck kits are usually not detailled OOB so when you get into that stuff it gets more complicated quickly. In this case I have only added some minor wiring and such but have you seen how many wires, hoses, pipes and cables are on a real truck, wow! And it's all pretty much visible too. What I like most about these kits is that you can make up your own colour scheme and configuration, no two trucks are alike and if something is a little off, no matter, the real ones are dented and battered as well 🙂 

• Like 1

A quick lunchtime priming session yielded this: 

20201118133046-c7547a40-me.jpg

20201118133045-61a496c8-me.jpg

Pleased to report there are no more yellow or red body parts 🙂 

Later in the afternoon I'm going to paint the cab blue. Humidity is still a bit high in the shed though, but it doesn't exactly have to be a flashy paint job anyway.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JeroenS said:

so I think it may well be as easy as it seems 🙂 ...

I beg to differ so we'll have to agree to disagree :laugh:

The primer coat looks nice and smooth. Keep going, I'm taking lots of notes :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

The primer coat looks nice and smooth.

I always use Tamiya Fine surface primer (preferably grey, but there's white, red oxide and pink as well) from the cans for this. Only downside: a bit expensive. Lovely stuff, only beaten by Mr Surfacer 1500 from the airbrush. Well, is what I think. So many modellers, ... etc

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I always use Tamiya Fine surface primer (preferably grey, but there's white, red oxide and pink as well) from the cans for this. Only downside: a bit expensive. Lovely stuff, only beaten by Mr Surfacer 1500 from the airbrush. Well, is what I think. So many modellers, ... etc

Tamiya - It's great stuff. I've started decanting it and using it in my airbrush.

Never tried Mr Surfacer; must give it a go one day :think:

10 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Tamiya - It's great stuff. I've started decanting it and using it in my airbrush.:think:

Decanting... tried it once and ended up with a great big mess... Please tell me how you do that. 

11 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Never tried Mr Surfacer; must give it a go one day :think:

Mr Surfacer 1500 thinned 50/50 with Mr Color levelling thinners... that is about as smooth as you can get.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Decanting... tried it once and ended up with a great big mess... Please tell me how you do that. 

Mr Surfacer 1500 thinned 50/50 with Mr Color levelling thinners... that is about as smooth as you can get.

It works!

• Like 1

Hi Jeroen,

I use a cut-down 'bendy' straw, hold it over the nozzle and spray into a small glass jar; no tape or blu-tack is required. I always keep the straw above the decanted paint so as not to cause a bubbling mess. Remember to leave the glass jar covered but NOT SEALED so as to allow the propellant to escape for a minimum of 8 hours.

Et voila! Primer in a jar :smile:

Edit: Just like above (dropped in whilst I was typing). Don't need the cover over the jar either, just keep the straw above the paint :wink:

Edited by wimbledon99
  • Like 1