770 - Scania LB 141 - Finished!

JeroenS

Just catching up on this build Jeroen. Very nice crisp photo images and some lovely details going in. I’m sure whichever scheme you settle on, it’ll look fantastic. I kinda like a red/lime green combo myself!

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, it's been a good while since I've had some progress to report. We were kind of busy buying a new house and selling our current one. With that matter taken care of I now have until February to do some modelling. We're getting the keys to the new place on February 1st so it's only full scale modelling in the months after that I'm afraid. 

Anyway, with cold and damp months ahead (which for me means no airbrushing) I was on the lookout for a relatively warm and dry afternoon to paint the chassis. Today I got my wish and at least now I have primer on. It took a ghastly volume of Mr. Surfacer Black to cover that red by the way!

But, chassis and engine are primed and looking good. Of course, everything looks good in Mr. Surfacer Black 🙂 

20201026190601-f0455400-me.jpg

Wiring and plumbing is not entirely done but I badly wanted to paint before time ran out. I don't know whether I'll get around to more plumbing, maybe I'll just cover the chassis with chequer plate 😇

Now I need one or two more afternoons like this to finish the chassis. Red brown base, hairspray, gray top coat. I can brush paint the rest of the truck but I don't like to brush paint a chassis. It takes forever. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

My vote is for the first pic (red and white truck) but I look outnumbered!!

Yes it will be the resto job. I have to agree with you on the look of the red and white ones though, they look really good in that scheme. But not to worry, I've put another one of these on my wish list and I will build it like that! Just not for this GB 🙂 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice progress Jeroen, for an aviation only builder, that looks quite complex. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, on the other hand, no complex camo schemes and no canopy masking! But, I think the parts count for the average truck is a bit higher when compared to aircraft, that's why these kits always come in huge boxes 🙂 

And I just love huge boxes with lots of sprues inside 😎

The weather was pretty good this afternoon so I took advantage. Chassis, engine, wheels, fuel tanks, rear mudguards and front bumper were painted. This is a pretty good place to start from I think, looking at the picture of the truck I'm aiming for. The engine should be a little bit lighter, I'll see about that. This is Tamiya's cockpit green. 

20201031210530-2224ab45-me.jpg

Fuel tanks and mudguards were primed in Mr Surfacer black and then primed/painted with Tamiya's Red Oxide primer.

20201031210530-82d2b8c2-me.jpg

The chassis was first painted in Tamiya's red/brown. After that I gave it a clear coat, in this case Zero Paints 1K clear, because it dries very quickly and is very sturdy. I only had a couple of hours so I did as much as I could, using a hair dryer to speed up the drying process. It was painting weather, but only just, so I had to help things along a little bit. When the clear was dry I gave it a once over with hair spray, and when that had dried I gave it the final top coat of Tamiya's Sky Grey. The wheels got the same treatment. 

I left everything alone for a couple of hours, and then I started wetting the chassis, after which a stiff brush was used to create a chipping effect. Some drybrushing etc will follow, but for now I'm happy with this beginning. 

20201031210533-3b76c956-me.jpg

20201031210531-585d1537-me.jpg

20201031210532-949bcee7-me.jpg

Same with the wheels. 

20201031210529-230bd155-me.jpg

And here we are, with all the parts I have so far.

20201031210532-5efe131b-me.jpg

I think I'm going to make a start on the cab now. Well, tomorrow. 

• Like 11

I started working on the cab this morning. We already knew that some parts had suffered badly from inadequate storage. Time to see how badly. 

These are cab floor, radiator/dash and the inner and outer rear wall. Not too bad from this angle. 

20201101115051-c94e3823-me.jpg

However, this shows that the cab floor is a little out of whack. 

20201101115052-d51979be-me.jpg

Dry fitting the radiator piece helps a lot. 

20201101115052-f8a60a0b-me.jpg

But the lower bunk bed must not be very comfortable like this. 

20201101115053-7ad0d4fe-me.jpg

This is the outer wall dry fitted. Not good. 

20201101115053-cb7c768d-me.jpg

But we'll have the inner wall to do some corrections. 

20201101115054-e26295f7-me.jpg

The roof will then be the final piece to the rescue. 

20201101115050-49450600-me.jpg

Luckily, the doors and the front are straight. 

So, the order of march is: 

- glue in the radiator piece

- fix the bunk

- fit the outer rear wall

- fit the inner rear wall, including the upper bunk bed which should also give some support to the structure

After that it's time to see where we stand before taking further action. 

Edit: one more thing, the windows have to go between the inner and outer wall so that's a complicating factor. I don't like windows in before paint. 

Edited by JeroenS
  • Like 5

The chassis with engine looks lovely with some paint going on. Inspiring work.

Looks like you have quite a bit of work ahead with cab, but I'm sure you'll get it sorted.

Hmm, I have a pile of 1/24 Renault trucks in my stash, wonder when I'll get to those?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

The chassis with engine looks lovely with some paint going on. Inspiring work.

Looks like you have quite a bit of work ahead with cab, but I'm sure you'll get it sorted.

Thanks. Apart from the warped parts I quite like how the cab goes together, it makes good sense. I will get another one of this kit and build it properly when I have more time. It's excellent. 

24 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Hmm, I have a pile of 1/24 Renault trucks in my stash, wonder when I'll get to those?

I think you have a pile of everything in your stash Jörgen 🙂 

But, you can always send your trucks over, they'll be safe here, I promise 😇

• Like 1

Hi Jeroen,

I had to kick my posterior to have a look at your thread! Lorries are not something I get excited about, I am sorry to say.

But the build process is rather exciting and the details pretty awesome.

On another topic, it looks like global warming is doing wonder in the Netherlands for spraying models! You seem to get quite a few "nice" afternoons!

I can't remember many of those in October during the years I lived there. Summer came and went in a morning! Hell, I even did the Elfstadetocht skating! 

So enjoy nice weather and continue to show us some fascinating modelling!

Great show!

JR

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I think you have a pile of everything in your stash Jörgen 🙂 

But, you can always send your trucks over, they'll be safe here, I promise 😇

I'm afraid I must admit that my stash is out of most sensible control since many years... Maybe if I reach the age of 264 or something, with my health intact, and retire at 60... 😎

I'll try to remember in my will... 😎

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, jean said:

On another topic, it looks like global warming is doing wonder in the Netherlands for spraying models! You seem to get quite a few "nice" afternoons!

I can't remember many of those in October during the years I lived there. Summer came and went in a morning! Hell, I even did the Elfstadetocht skating! 

So enjoy nice weather and continue to show us some fascinating modelling!

I think you have a point actually 🙂 The last time we had enough ice for the Elfstedentocht was in 1997! Was that the one you did?

Radiator fitted, bunk bed sorted, outer wall in place. It's actually starting to look like something. 

20201101140546-23d3d0b6-me.jpg

Still, some obvious warping here and there... 

20201101140546-74379b54-me.jpg

I always like a glimpse of the end result.... 

20201101140545-98bbe68c-me.jpg

20201101140547-dcda3c07-me.jpg

As usual the KFS hubs and wheels improve the look a lot. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I think you have a point actually 🙂 The last time we had enough ice for the Elfstedentocht was in 1997! Was that the one you did?

No, it was the 1985 one. I did another one, rowing, in 1988. I still have blisters from it! But it was fun!

Great progress on your Scania!

JR

• Like 1

@JeroenS you should get the warping out by putting it under running hot tap water...And cool it directly in cold water while trying to keep it in shape..

I save a lot warped fuselages and wings that way...it doesn’t give you always a perfect result but it can get into a direction that gives you less stress on the glued parts...

Good luck on this fine piece of Heller truck..

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

@JeroenS you should get the warping out by putting it under running hot tap water...And cool it directly in cold water while trying to keep it in shape..

I save a lot warped fuselages and wings that way...it doesn’t give you always a perfect result but it can get into a direction that gives you less stress on the glued parts...

Good luck on this fine piece of Heller truck..

cheers, Jan

Thanks Jan. Actually, what you're looking at is the result of several of those sessions! It was much worse before but this was all I could get out of it. I'm fairly confident that it will be (as good as) sorted when the cab is complete. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

The yellow and red plastic make it look like a kid’s ride-on toy! Better get some grey on there quick :)

Regards,

Adrian

I know, what were they thinking, right? I hope reboxings come in grey plastic, I will do another one of these for sure. 

• Like 2

Ah, those windows... I don't much like doing it and I'm not really good at it (must be because I don't mask enough canopies 😉) but in the end I succumbed... It's inevitable, Mr. Anderson... I masked the windows, seeing as they fit in between the inner and outer rear cab walls and there's no other way to get them in later on.

20201101211422-8eaf0ad4-me.jpg

I need to glue the inner and outer wall before paint, and the windows need to go in first. I used CA on them, I don't know whether that was the correct approach. White glue wouldn't have been strong enough, and I feared that using regular plastic cement would damage them in some visible place.

20201101211421-80a749ba-me.jpg

You can see that the warping has become less with this action (plus I bent the cab's plastic surrounding the left window mercilessly before I glued said window in). Now I'm really hoping they'll stay where they are with all the handling that will be done. The outer cab wall is still caved inwards, I think I'll be needing a spacer between the two walls to get it in the correct shape. 

• Like 4