The Banner of the Royale.

jean

Hi all,

after those months of waiting, this keenly expected GB has finally arrived!

I shall enter it with one of my favorite French Navy aircraft: the Etendard IV M.

This beautiful kit is a Christmas present  (with a few other gems) from our Scottish Father Christmas Pat, aka @JOCKNEY

Here are a few photos of the box and sprues:

Etendard IV M Photo 1

Etendard IV M Photo 2

Etendard IV M Photo 3

All in all, it looks like a lovely kit!

I have to finish my Me 109 for the BoB GB first and then try and make some serious progress on the Huey.

But I am looking forward to this kit. It has been a long time since I last built a plane with a hook.

Have fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 16

Looks like a nice set of parts there Jean and good to know that ‘Scottish Santa’ is still able to get his presents out to the various far flung regions of the world. Will look forward to seeing this one come together. 
Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

Delighted to see this one join the GB JR.

Looks like this kit lasted a lot longer than the emergency Chocolate Muffins that were also in the parcel 😁

Look forward to following this one

Cheers 🎅 whoops sorry  Pat 

• Haha 2

Is this our first jet? Nice to see and looking forward to the build.

The detail and make up and even the sprues of this kit looks very familiar. It has all the traits of an early 80s Airfix kit, but I suppose it would do with them all being under the Humbrol banner by that point.

5 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Is this our first jet? Nice to see and looking forward to the build.

The detail and make up and even the sprues of this kit looks very familiar. It has all the traits of an early 80s Airfix kit, but I suppose it would do with them all being under the Humbrol banner by that point.

Hi Fightersweep,

My usual modelling (that is when I can build something)is about 50% jets and 50% props. Quite a few jets in the hangar of doom!

This kit is a 1986 rebox of a 1984 Heller new tool, so any Airfix Etendard must have come at a later date.

I personally loose track of who produces what!

Cheers

JR

57 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Delighted to see this one join the GB JR.

Looks like this kit lasted a lot longer than the emergency Chocolate Muffins that were also in the parcel 😁

Look forward to following this one

Cheers 🎅 whoops sorry  Pat 

Hi Pat,

I wish I could tell you the chocolate muffins were still on the shelf of doom....

No doubt they were responsible for the supernumerary stone that appeared overnight on my scales!!! 

The plastic feels like it will be a pleasure to work with, unlike the Esci Huey!!

Cheers Mate

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jean said:

This kit is a 1986 rebox of a 1984 Heller new tool, so any Airfix Etendard must have come at a later date.

It's certainly Heller alright, although it did later appear in an Airfix box apparently, but what I meant was that it has the look and feel of an early 80s Airfix kit. I suppose with Heller and Airfix coming under the Humbrol banner in the 1980s, there would be some similarities.

• Like 1

Now that’s a classy choice! I love the Etendard in all its forms. I remember these little beauties (the IVM and IVP) from the early and mid 70s. With the retirement of the SEM more recently we lost a very attractive shape in the sky!

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

I hope so!!!! :). Such an iconic Gallic jet deserves a place on the GB :)

Martin

EDIT: Revisiting your thread has sparked an interest in this kit. I'll follow along and might, just might, put my hand in my pocket for one in the future ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi JR

With the Chopper GB over, have you had a chance to threaten this kit with adhesive yet ?

Cheers Pat

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I hope so!!!! :). Such an iconic Gallic jet deserves a place on the GB :)

Martin

EDIT: Revisiting your thread has sparked an interest in this kit. I'll follow along and might, just might, put my hand in my pocket for one in the future ;)

Hi Pat and Martin,

glad you are nudging me! 

The Huey has been put in abeyance and will be built in installments like I did with the Stuka. But it will be finished. The plastic is really not fun to work with, unfortunately.

My 109 in the BoB GB is finished, but I am not happy and must re-do the aerial cable and a slightly damaged fuselage Balkenkreuz. That kit is definitely haunted: everything that could be broken has been broken, everything that could be smudged with dark paint has been, and so on... If I had any sense I would call it finished and move on, but... I still have 10 days...

In this GB, I started in earnest on the Nieuport, as that is going to be much quicker to build and paint than the Etendard.

Wing is done and ready for painting and cockpit has been painted and fuselage ready to close.

Having had my phone stolen has definitely crimped my ability to take progress photos. I should have a new phone by mid-November. 

In the meantime I took a few photos with Karen's camera a couple of days ago, but it's never the right time to have them downloaded.... 

But life is still beautiful!

Re the Etendard, I still have  to re-scribe the top fuselage. The rest has been done. Re-scribing is really necessary on such a streamlined plane. I thought of erasing all panel lines, but I might as well get some scribing training time in the process!!!

So yes Martin, if you can get an Etendard, it is well worth it!

And thanks Pat for sending this one to the middle of nowhere. It shall be well looked after.

Have fun guys!

JR

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jean said:

And thanks Pat for sending this one to the middle of nowhere. It shall be well looked after.

Have fun guys!

JR

You are very welcome JR, I look forward to seeing this one come to life and catching up with the 622.

Cheers Pat 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 9:17 PM, John Masters said:

I have this kit too.  It has a much larger decal sheet.  It is the 'new' classic box release.

I very belatedly* bought this only a couple of weeks ago, the same re-release with a marvellous decal sheet.

*Which is another way of saying, I meant to buy it when it was originally released, but never got around to it.

Well done @klr 

Come on @jean it's been a while since we heard from you.

If you haven't finished last Christmas's presents, what's going to happen when Santa visits again this year ? 🎅

Remember single malt and a mince pie on the chateau's mantelpiece like last year.

Oh and apologies about the reindeer droppings on the carpet :poop:

Cheers Pat

15 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Well done @klr 

Come on @jean it's been a while since we heard from you.

If you haven't finished last Christmas's presents, what's going to happen when Santa visits again this year ? 🎅

Remember single malt and a mince pie on the chateau's mantelpiece like last year.

Oh and apologies about the reindeer droppings on the carpet :poop:

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

here, there has been lots of local traveling and little modelling. Not fun driving in Africa under pouring rain...

Tomorrow will see the MS 406 finished!!! I will celebrate with a glass of orange juice and water!  I love living dangerously.

Then the NiD 622 and the Etendard will carry on concomitantly. So there is a chance both may even be finished before the end of the GB....

You see Pat, no need to stress.

Re the reindeers' dropping, no worries: they will be lost among the mongoose's scat!!!!

Single malt and mince pies are bad for Santa's diet. Boss's orders.

Cheers mate.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

with the new year I decided to start making some progress on the Etendard. The Nieuport Delage will carry on in parallel and will definitely be completed before the GB's end. As far as the Etendard is concerned, I will try to get there as well.

Today I have started gluing all the little things that cannot be overlooked: underwing tanks, rocket launchers, etc. I have rescribed the elevator (extra thin glue still visible on the recessed panel lines), and have almost finished rescribing the wings and the lower fuselage section.

Hopefully the build will gather momentum when the rescribing is fully done.

Great plastic to work with!

JR

Etendard IV M Photo 4

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

I am carrying on with the re-scribing of the model.

Finished both vertical and horizontal tail surfaces, and they have been glued together.

I dare say that I really like the engraved lines. Quite a bit more work, but it is worth it

Etendard IV M Photo 6

Etendard IV M Photo 5

I knew that the super long Pitot on the tail was unlikely to survive, and I was right!

So I drilled a hole in the support and will replace it with some fine tubing.

Thanks for watching.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...