238 - Focke Wulf Fw 56 ‘STÖSSER’

Rabbit Leader

Right then.. with the first signs of some great Heller kits already proposed, I’m getting just a little too excited so it’s time for ‘Moi’ to declare his hand. 
Now I’ve honestly had this kit for just two days and when I opened the box and looked Inside, I was extremely pleased to find some lovely fine crisp plastic that Heller is so famously renowned for. 

Funnily enough, this subject is so far away from my normal comfort zone, it probably has a good chance of getting finished. If it wasn’t for this GB, I’d never build anything like this, so stay turned and let’s see how it turns out. 

Cheers.. Dave

50382154287_ec5733e307_b.jpg

• Like 15

Such an attractive subject from a golden time in Heller's history, looking forward to seeing this one come together as I have one in the hoard.

Welcome and good luck!

• Like 1

Nice choice. Brand new to me, along with about half the Heller range, it will be good to see it come together Dave.

The box top painting looks interesting, I've only just noticed the other plane in the picture. Is there a 'dogfight' going on at near enough zero feet?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Nice choice. Brand new to me, along with about half the Heller range, it will be good to see it come together Dave.

The box top painting looks interesting, I've only just noticed the other plane in the picture. Is there a 'dogfight' going on at near enough zero feet?

A lot of these were used as fighter trainers so it's probably just some combat training going on.

Great choice! Another great Heller classic and another great Heller subject. I'll be watching with interest. Remember my modelling buddy building this back in the 80s, and I can still hear his swearing as the undertrollies kept splaying outwards. Might need a little re-enforcement. Yet another one to follow with interest! It's going to be a full time job keeping up with all the action here!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Great choice Dave. Funny you should choose that one. I do believe I might still have that kit. I don't have many 1/72 kits, but I think that is one of them.

Well you know what to do with it now don't you Greg...... Join us here and build it! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update #1 - A somewhat slow start. 

Now that my BoB Hurricane is all finished and ‘Galleried’ it’s time to put some serious modelling effort into this huge GB... Wow, I could not believe that this thread was forth from the very bottom and well and truly stuck on the last page! OK.. time to revive it a little. 

This Heller kit is quite fiddly, however an overall nice product that we’ve come to expect from this era of Heller kits. Whilst performing the usual Dry Run inspections, it seemed a little confusing where the cockpit floor and rear bulkhead should be glued and positioned. I tried a few different ways, but the best way by far was to glue both fuselage parts first, then slide the cockpit floor in place and attach the rear bulkhead after that. Prior to gluing, I added a few sections of plastic strip to busy the Cockpit area up a little... (My interpretation only). 

As I’m building Heller’s Heinkel He 112 as well, it made sense to assemble and paint both cockpits at the same time, so excuse the similar photos that I’ll be initially posting in each of these threads. A few coats of Model Masters RLM 02 where applied, some fabric seat belts added and a odd looking Instrument panel decal applied that might need to be touched up with black paint to tone it down a little. I’m hoping I can get this one to the paint stage rather quickly and may rely on a good mate across the Tasman to come to my aid with some homemade decals! ... thanks in advance @Greg Law

Cheers.. Dave 

50463932198_bce9cea4ce_b.jpg

50463932168_9a9130e9b6_b.jpg

50463932183_929ecd17a7_b.jpg

50465070906_b37db7fe11_b.jpg

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Greg Law said:

Dave what helps this model is to open one of the side doors. It allows you to see into the cockpit. 

That’s not a bad idea. Not sure the cockpit’s got enough in it though. I’ll give it some thought. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 25/09/2020 at 13:07, Rabbit Leader said:

this subject is so far away from my normal comfort zone. If it wasn’t for this GB, I’d never build anything like this,

Right! That's exactly how I feel. It's a lot of fun to do something completely different. Nice work there on the cockpit detail.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

This seems to have slipped to the last page

You're being awfully nice about it Pat ... This is like saying you're not angry, just disappointed 😆

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

You're being awfully nice about it Pat ... This is like saying you're not angry, just disappointed 😆

Just for once I tried to play good cop...

Hours of rehearsal in front of the mirror, countless redrafts ....

And you see straight through me !

Back to the drawing board :whistle:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Just for once I tried to play good cop...

See, I always believed there was a little glimmer of hope in you Pat!

Now to be honest, there was some small progress on this little Fw however nothing worthy to document. I’ve had a few weeks of frustration at work (see below), however am now on holidays so will get back onto the ‘Eller Orse’ shortly. 

Cheers.. Dave

(p.s. Never say the words Hindsight to a Forward Planner... they don’t like it!) 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Oy Dave

Holiday time is over mate, we have an additional 2 weeks extension on this GB to complete as many of these builds as possible. 

Now chop chop.

My brief period of good cop, further up this build thread was never going to last, who did I think I was kidding  ! :wink:

Cheers Pat