Amiot 143 numéro deux, de nombreux L390

TonyW

14 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear Tony

Have you thought of giving Colourcoats a try? They have all the right French colours and easily available in the UK via post.

regards Toby

I've taken a look there Toby. Thanks for the pointer.

It's not so much the actual colours that's holding me up, I have a ton of different shades of pretty much anything French and that's without starting doing custom mixes! The spanner in my works is getting things to resemble the pictures out there. They may be B+W but my eye see's them in ways that doesn't always translate to paint tins, if that makes any sense?

Adding to my self inflicted problems, there's the different takes on the subject over the years in all kinds of publications as well as more than one choice of current colours.

My walking away from this build for a while is doing me a power of good. More info keeps turning up that will help the build and with luck, by the time I get back on its case I'll have a better idea of how to proceed. In theory anyway...

Tony.

• Like 1

Hi Tony

I went through a similar stage with my Airfix B17 "Bit of Lace" there was lots of conflicting information and opinions, so eventually I found one colour photo I liked and stuck with that.

I'm confident you will resolve this in your own way to see this one completed. 

Best of luck 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 9:55 AM, TonyW said:

Blue, blue/grey or chamois?... This period shot of the nose of a Potez bomber doesn't help. Lovely and clear and informative even though it's the wrong plane.There's probably camera flash involved here, just to confuse even more.

in two editions(1935 & 1936) of french Air Ministry specifications it was written: "intérieurs de couleur neutre , foncée et mate"

Several constructors(MS, Late, Potez, Breguet....) use blue grey until 1939

Great work on this antediluvian flying bus

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been advancing to the rear with the Amiot build. The paintjob so far just doesn't work for me.  The colours are OK, it's more the application. Things look a bit thick and untidy from where I'm sitting.

Best I take a deep breath, and do something about it...

20201014-153249.jpg

20201112-133043.jpg

And after a night under bleach, I'm right back where I started!

20201114-111256.jpg

I think this counts as progress?

• Like 1

So far I've avoided these French camo schemes like the plague, because they don't seem to lend themselves to brush painting and that's all I do! I mean, I have seen brush painted examples that are beautifully done, but it seems difficult to get right. My LeO I chickened out and am doing a Luftwaffe splinter scheme, Amiot all black, Potez 540 all beige, Bloch 210 all green... but as I now have pretty much every Musée boxing and they all come with French schemes sooner or later I'm not going to be able to avoid it...

Courage, mon ami! I'm sure after a breather you'll come back to this reinvigorated. A tactical retreat is often the wisest form of progress.

• Thanks 1

It's not beaten me yet, not by a long shot. I know I can do better though, so best I just get on with it. I'm still enjoying the build and there's loads of time still left.

What could possibly go wrong?

Tony.

• Like 1