Amiot 143 numéro deux, de nombreux L390

TonyW

More progress.

The clear windows have been sanded and polished back to clarity, or at least as far as I can get them. There seems to be some kind of wavyness inside the clear plastic that I can't get out.

20201013-134213.jpg

I can read clearly enough through the glass but it's not as clear as I wanted. Rather than give up, I hit the interior with a coat of blue grey to see how things looked...

20201013-134259.jpg

Hmmm. just about nothing is visible in there.

Adding a rough coat of black to the outside made things appear even darker in there...

20201013-135013.jpg

I'm starting to think detailing the inside would be a waste of time and effort.

Check out this shot of a pair of the Advanced Striking Forces planes.

That picture seems so sad to me. The front line guys suffering again for the mistakes of their senior officers and politicians. Heart breaking really.

20201013-192349.jpg

Enough gloomy thoughts, back to the model...

Notice that although there's a quite distinctive handrail running through the lower cabin, the rest seems empty! I'll add the handrail and maybe the lower control column but that's going to be enough for me downstairs. The upper cockpit will need a bit of help as, rather surprisingly, quite a lot can be seen through the glazing!

I've also been messing around with colours again.

20201013-143331.jpg

The starboard wing got a satin clearcoat that has changed the colours quite a bit! The Chocolate in particular has darkened a lot. One tail surface got its green changed to Humbrol 159 to see how that looked. The elevator got a coat of clear as well. That shifted the green a bit as well. I suppose the darker wing could be said to be covered in dew or rain? Either way, what went on as one colour has moved over a bit once varnished.

More later.

Tony.

• Like 5

The experiments are working well Tony. The lower nose glazing in particular looks mighty fine to me, I’d be extremely happy to obtain that clear finish. Now although I know nothing about French colours, that right hori stab would be my choice for the final three colours, the olive drab looks better than the bright green (to my untrained eye anyway?).

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

According to my sources they are both valid colours, but exactly which the Amiot had I have no idea. If I were doing it I would probably agree with you, but I would probably go with a slightly darker OD, but it is as ever, a case of what Tony decides he likes. French colours are not perhaps that well documented on this side of "La Manche".

Pete

• Like 2

More faffing about with the camouflage colours. This time the green has been replaced with a 50/50 mix of Humbrol 159 and a Humbrol Authentic green, can't remember the number, but its in the picture...

20201014-153249.jpg

The Chocolate got redone as well as I like the toned down pre varnished look more. The Blue Grey will get redone later. The whole finish is a bit patchy but I quite like that, it looks a bit worn.  I'm happy with the colours now. They seem somewhere between that shown in sixties Profiles and other period references and the current fashion colours. They look balanced together.

A bit of dry brushing with an earth colour is on the cards but it will be subtle.

Interior is next, to whatever level looks OK to me, then it's button up time. 

Tony.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, TonyW said:

Interior is next

As long as you get the upstairs-downstairs driving seats in any interior detailing works for me!

I think we’ve all (OK: not Heather) got a bit of homework to do on those colour schemes. I still don’t know which colours I want to use on my next build!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

As long as you get the upstairs-downstairs driving seats in any interior detailing works for me!

I think we’ve all (OK: not Heather) got a bit of homework to do on those colour schemes. I still don’t know which colours I want to use on my next build!

Regards,

Adrian

The oddball driving arrangements are a must. I'm with you there Adrian.

Colour wise, I'm heading towards what I think is right. If that is right is another matter but until untouched, pristine, accurate colour pictures turn up showing every detail of every plane I want to build, from all angles, in all lighting situations, that will have to do!

A lot depends on how your mind see's things. I have a limited library with French content. Most of it is current to the kits first release dates. Most colour views show quite bright colours. I know printing process methods can swing colours all over the place but these images are what were there at the time of the Heller kit releases. Hellers called out colours could be a bit loud as well. Humbrol 13 for one of the greens is one instance. I've also bought a couple of more current references for this GB and they show much more muted colours. I have no idea where the references got their information from. My fault there, but how far into this can you go?

If the early works were grossly inaccurate, I'm sure the modellers of the time would have had the subject pulled apart pretty soon. At the time of the kits first release there would have been people still alive and young enough to have had clear memories of the forties in the same way that my parents did. It was all twenty or thirty years ago for them, much like the 1990's are for us! Maybe they did and I've just missed it all! Just about everything French is all new to me and all the more interesting for that.

The nature of things around us influencing us leads me to follow what might be a cop out path. I'll follow all the fashions!

I'll build a few just as Heller and the period references say, bright colours and all. Period builds, just the way I like 'em. They will probably look a bit toy like, much like when I build early Airfix straight out the box. I'm happy with that.

I'll also repeat what I've done with the Amiot, and mute paints to look right to me, but with more of a desire to get closer to the probable finish the plane might have worn. The 'probable' and 'might' in that statement worry me.

Then there's the currently available dedicated colours. They all differ very  slightly to each other and all will look fine to todays eyes as that's what we are told is correct. 

All in all, a bloody minefield to cross. Think of the satisfaction of getting to the other side without incident!

Today see's a bit of interior work on the Amiot.

Blue, blue/grey or chamois?... This period shot of the nose of a Potez bomber doesn't help. Lovely and clear and informative even though it's the wrong plane.There's probably camera flash involved here, just to confuse even more.

20201012-141434.jpg

Tony, out on a limb...

• Like 6

Couldn't agree more Tony!

That picture of the Potez nose is fabulous. It needs a potted plant or two. Until I realised it's a corrugated shed wall, I was wondering if they'd fitted vertical blinds to all the windows!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Potez shot is from this early seventies French book...

20201012-141334.jpg

A goldmine of information although my lack of French is a bit of a holdup. I reasoned that at 400 pages, there had to be something of interest and use to me. I was right, it's worth it for the photographs alone.

It has a chapter on aero engines with crystal clear images throughout, ditto the armament chapter. Clear shots of the many different guns French aircraft carried. They are every bit as odd as the planes themselves. Some of the turret arrangements have to be seen to be believed.

I found a UK seller that had the book in near new condition and for quite a bit less than Internet copies out there. It turned up well wrapped in brown paper with a really nice shop label. I thought the service so good, I phoned the shop, Broadhursts of Southport, and told them so. Beats Amazon any day. Advert ends.

Here's the French bombs, including early cluster bombs! The Heller supplied ones are not as toy like as I first thought.

20201012-141629.jpg

Tony.

• Like 6

That fits a pattern I have seen several times. A seller in the States asking an astronomical price for a book that can often be found elsewhere for far less. A few years back I was looking for a copy of Putnam's  "The German Giants" by Grosz and somebody wanted the equivalent of £180. I found one of the earlier prints with a tatty dustcover for £15, but could also have had the same later edition in good condition for £25. Presumably somebody does pay the outrageous price from time to time, but I certainly won't.

Pete

• Like 1

It is because of competing algorithms - this book has been listed as sold at a raised price so every large dealer's software raises the price, and somehow this just keeps spiralling upwards.  These dealers deal in such large numbers of books that they cannot keep a check for sillies like this.

However, Caraktere are advertising a new work on French Bombers 1939-42 to go with their French Fighters 1939-42 and their superb Camouflage and Markings book.  Should be very helpful for this GB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TonyW said:

20201012-141434.jpg

Tony, out on a limb...

This is lovely though. I feel the addition of velvet curtains with pelmets and tiebacks and a chaise longue or two might add something to the ambience of the aircraft.

• Haha 4

On 10/15/2020 at 8:55 AM, TonyW said:

The oddball driving arrangements are a must. I'm with you there Adrian.

Colour wise, I'm heading towards what I think is right. If that is right is another matter but until untouched, pristine, accurate colour pictures turn up showing every detail of every plane I want to build, from all angles, in all lighting situations, that will have to do!

A lot depends on how your mind see's things. I have a limited library with French content. Most of it is current to the kits first release dates. Most colour views show quite bright colours. I know printing process methods can swing colours all over the place but these images are what were there at the time of the Heller kit releases. Hellers called out colours could be a bit loud as well. Humbrol 13 for one of the greens is one instance. I've also bought a couple of more current references for this GB and they show much more muted colours. I have no idea where the references got their information from. My fault there, but how far into this can you go?

If the early works were grossly inaccurate, I'm sure the modellers of the time would have had the subject pulled apart pretty soon. At the time of the kits first release there would have been people still alive and young enough to have had clear memories of the forties in the same way that my parents did. It was all twenty or thirty years ago for them, much like the 1990's are for us! Maybe they did and I've just missed it all! Just about everything French is all new to me and all the more interesting for that.

The nature of things around us influencing us leads me to follow what might be a cop out path. I'll follow all the fashions!

I'll build a few just as Heller and the period references say, bright colours and all. Period builds, just the way I like 'em. They will probably look a bit toy like, much like when I build early Airfix straight out the box. I'm happy with that.

I'll also repeat what I've done with the Amiot, and mute paints to look right to me, but with more of a desire to get closer to the probable finish the plane might have worn. The 'probable' and 'might' in that statement worry me.

Then there's the currently available dedicated colours. They all differ very  slightly to each other and all will look fine to todays eyes as that's what we are told is correct. 

All in all, a bloody minefield to cross. Think of the satisfaction of getting to the other side without incident!

Today see's a bit of interior work on the Amiot.

Blue, blue/grey or chamois?... This period shot of the nose of a Potez bomber doesn't help. Lovely and clear and informative even though it's the wrong plane.There's probably camera flash involved here, just to confuse even more.

20201012-141434.jpg

Tony, out on a limb...

There's a mix of a darker shade (blue?) and Chamois (around the windows)... my view ;). I love the picnic chair and table ;)

Martin

I made the mistake of searching the internet for Amiot 143 Interior information yesterday. I found a ton of stuff Amiot 143 related and the discovery has changed the direction of the build. My simple, bare bones build has gone out the window a bit.

I've printed a pile of A4 sheets off with all kinds of  Amiot and GB related info.

20201017-165008.jpg

I'm going to have a stab at filling up the interior a bit more than I at first planned.

Browsing the images out there, I found myself getting more and more drawn into the subject and one thing has led to another. For instance, a couple of pictures showed a ladder inside the plane. One shot showed it sideways on, running from the lower deck to the cockpit, the next shot showed it at 90 degrees to that! It puzzled me a bit until I found that the ladder is carried loose inside the plane on a rack on the starboard side. It's used for access between decks and getting in and out of the plane. Fascinating. 

This of course puts completion of this one back a bit. I think it's only right to open up a couple of simpler kits so I can get a completion or two under my belt here. How's that for an excuse to start more builds!

Tony.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

This ones been put on a back burner Adrian, it was starting to be a chore.

I've found yet more info on the thing that will help with the build once I get back to it, and I'm sure I'll have it done before the GB ends. 

Tony.

• Like 1

Tony - I apologise for seeming to making light of your issues with the build. I’m pretty sure I have the same sort of issues with most of mine, and I hope after you have stepped away for a bit you will be back on it with renewed enthusiasm.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

No need for any apology Adrian, it's always good to have a bit of feedback in a thread. Making light helps a whole lot more than frowning about things.

The Amiot is really growing on me although, as usual, my learning curve is a vertical line. The worry here is that I know I can do better with it and I'm starting to think I should strip the paint off and begin again! Hence taking a step back on it, I don't want to stall the thing completely, yet the paintjob is starting to niggle a bit. I'll get there in the end.

Tony.