T-28S Fennec EALA Escadron d'Aviation Légére d"Appui 3/5 Mecheria Algeria 1961

TEMPESTMK5

Good morning

For my first build for this Gb I will build the T-28 Fennec already presented by Wez ..

I don't think that I will be able to start soon as I would like to finish my Academy F 5B for thr MTO III GB and maybe add something else before I begin the T-28  ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 5

Wow!!! That’s three Trojans / Fennec’s already and this WIP GB section is not even 24 hours old! You’ll be pleased to know I managed to acquire one of these just yesterday Patrice, so might even add to this growing Trojan total once I get a few others finished. Welcome aboard and all the best.

Cheers.. Dave 

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Wow!!! That’s three Trojans / Fennec’s already and this WIP GB section is not even 24 hours old! You’ll be pleased to know I managed to acquire one of these just yesterday Patrice, so might even add to this growing Trojan total once I get a few others finished. Welcome aboard and all the best.

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave

I am very pleased to read that you managed to get one yesterday and I hope that you will decide to join us on this T-28 mini Gb ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 2

• TEMPESTMK5 changed the title to T-28S Fennec EALA Escadron d'Aviation Légére d"Appui 3/5 Mecheria Algeria 1961

Good evening

Today I started the T28 Fennec that I will represent in the makings of an aircraft of the EALA 9/72 (Escadrille d'Aviation Légére d"Appui) ''Petits Princes'' of Escadron d'Aviation Légére d"Appui 3/5 basé à Mecheria en 1961 ..

201025074636817508.jpg

The box art
20102507464027302.jpg

The sprues
 201025074634326370.jpg
On this new box we find new parts for the gun pods

The decals sheet
 201025074631516832.jpg

I am using the Pavla resin set for the and Quickboost resin engine
201025074630823403.jpg

My reference
201025074633283390.jpg

I started by filling the ventral air brake
 201025075117295640.jpg

I opened the exhaust pipes
201025075117988668.jpg

I started to paint the cockpit bath tube
 201025075117543422.jpg

Patrice

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The cover photo of the book, the lead Fennec whats the story on the two tone colors ? Im interested in the markings ? 

Actually I am too Patrice, that looks most interesting. 

I'm quite impressed by some of these excellent looking French Aviation publications. I've never seen these before so there must be a good website / bookshop somewhere which has all these listed. Anyone have any good website links? 

Now that's a great start Patrice and I'm very impressed by these new Heller boxes and their great decal sheets. This one comes complete with new gun packs so I'd better get myself one before too long. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Patrice,

Good start.

Regarding the cockpit, my research tells me that as these aircraft were all converted from T-28A's they all started out with a black cockpit interior, this seems to be borne out by the photos in the Crosnier book and on Frenchwings.net.  That said. the conventional wisdom is that all of these aircraft had the high canopy but the photographs don't bear that out.  I'm wondering whether the ones with the low canopy had grey cockpits.  Certainly, the Pavla cockpit gives the low cockpit turn over structure, not the large inverted v of the high canopied versions.

I'd like to get hold of that book, where can I get one from?

• Thanks 1

Good morning my friends

Thank you for your interest

This is what I found about this 2 tone T 28 

"A first plane was aquired in 1959 and delivered to Sud-Aviation who is in charged of the transformation. That plane is NA 174-131 (sérial 51-3593) and is registered N79Z for her transfer to France. That registration will never be changed. That plane becomes the "FENNEC3 n°1 which is delivereed to the French air forces in August 1959 and immediately turned to the CEV (flight test center) for the official tests. The aircraft will crash on April 16''

http://all-aero.com/index.php/53-planes-l-m-n-o/7385-north-american-t-28-trojan

https://fennec.pfiquet.be/ganivet.htm#First_test_flights

This book can be bought from APPA  https://www.facebook.com/APPA-Association-pour-la-Préservation-du-Patrimoine-Aéronautique-1814285485525039/

I don't know if they ship their book abroad but don't hesitate to ask them I am sure that they will be happy to know that their works interest people abroad ..

Patrice

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I'm quite impressed by some of these excellent looking French Aviation publications.

Hi Dave, 

There are some excellent French aviation books. If you can read French they are even more useful. I have the superb "Les Skyraiders Francais" (EM 37), the equally good "Super Mystere B2" also from EM 37, the "The F-100D/F Super Sabre dans le Armee de l'air" - another from EM 37, the two North African books from Grossnire and the more recent Leo 45 Tome 2 reference from Meunier. I'd recommend them all. Unlike others the French seem to giveyou a wealth of images, an extraordinary level of detail and a comprehensive picture of the subject.  Try one! :)

Martin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Patrice,

Good start.

Regarding the cockpit, my research tells me that as these aircraft were all converted from T-28A's they all started out with a black cockpit interior, this seems to be borne out by the photos in the Crosnier book and on Frenchwings.net.  That said. the conventional wisdom is that all of these aircraft had the high canopy but the photographs don't bear that out.  I'm wondering whether the ones with the low canopy had grey cockpits.  Certainly, the Pavla cockpit gives the low cockpit turn over structure, not the large inverted v of the high canopied versions.

I'd like to get hold of that book, where can I get one from?

Absolutely, Wez. As you know, when building a Fennec you need to get photos of the specific airframe in order to know the canopy type. The lower type, again as you know, can be sourced from Rob Taurus.  I'm interested in that book too!!! ;) Like always, I feel an urge to sray from my build plan, eager to build a Fennec now! ;)

Martin

8 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

If you can read French they are even more useful.

Unfortunately Martin, my French is restricted to one rather rude word involving three people, however we do have google translate, so I could eventually work the text out this way. Also one of our best friends is as a French as Joan of Arc, so perhaps she could come to my aid as well. Those North African books look to be good inspiration for many modelling subjects, so that’s were I might start. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Maybe it is time to try to learn french 😉

You’ve got a point there Patrice, but that’s just too obvious for a silly Australian to understand! 
Cheers.. Dave 

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You’ve got a point there Patrice, but that’s just too obvious for a silly Australian to understand! 
Cheers.. Dave 

Dave it is never too late to learn ...

Best Regards

Patrice

Avions-Bateaux have some interesting titles, I'm eyeing their books on the Vampire/Mistral although the one I'm really looking forward to is their promised book on the Fouga Magister.

Reverso is a good translator, it gives context which is useful.

I've found Duolingo a great help while trying to learn French and other languages.

Patrice, I can see now I'm looking on a monitor rather than on my phone that your cockpit is black :doh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Patrice,

Does your big boys book of Fennec stuff give any details on the seats?  Did they have back and seat pads, if so, what colour, also, what colour were the seatbelts?

Thanks for any information.

On 10/26/2020 at 10:57 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

my French is restricted to one rather rude word involving three people

If it’s the one I’m thinking of, strictly speaking it’s three words 😁

13 hours ago, Wez said:

Patrice,

Does your big boys book of Fennec stuff give any details on the seats?  Did they have back and seat pads, if so, what colour, also, what colour were the seatbelts?

Thanks for any information.

Good morning Wez

Alas no this book deals more with the operational use of the T 28, there are some pictures of the guns pods anr rockets but I think they are already available there 

http://avions-de-la-guerre-d-algerie.over-blog.com/article-24140042.html

Best regards

Patrice

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the link Patrice, always great to see good quality photos and there’s a few nice shots in that lot. I’m getting quite tempted to start mine after seeing these great builds, need to source some new decals though as mine from an older kit box and not that great. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Good evening

This week end I rescribed the fuselage and wings

201101061801461366.jpg

201101061801659047.jpg

I also placed the seats and stickc in the "bathtube"

201101061800673175.jpg

201101061800885295.jpg

And I prepared the propeller

201101061801938819.jpg

Patrice