1/48 HKM Lancaster

NealParkes

Hi guys,

I don’t know if anyone may have already seen this, but over on facebook at Model Kits for Less ran by Mike Jolly there is a post enquiring about interest in a potential 48th scale Lancaster from HKM. Mike and his team are trying to gather interest and get HKM to scale down their 32nd Lanc, this could be awesome! So if you are on facebook why not take a look, also just as a disclaimer I have no ties to Mike Jolly other than being a very satisfied customer of his.

Neal

50381964632_c10420e7b4_o.jpgUntitled by Neal, on Flickr

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Acky190 said:

I honestly think you'd have more luck trying to get Airfix to commit to up-scaling the new Buccaneer kits! 

Well they must have been in contact with HKM as they got authorisation to use the artwork and poll the public, so if it was defined no goer surely HKM would have said “no you can’t use the artwork and no point polling anyone”. Also HKM have set the precedent with the B-17 and there is a need for a new 48th scale Lanc as the Tamiya kit is quite long in the tooth now.

Edited by NealParkes
update

Neil, I'm not questioning whether Mike and Co have been in Comms with HKM merely that it's going to take a huge amount of pre orders before any company is going to be willing to invest the vast sums of money required for a completely new tooling, no matter how badly needed it may be. A decent case in point being the Airfix Nimrod, people had said for years what a bestseller it would be, a year or two after launch and even up until a year or two ago you could pick them up for less than £18. 

Considering the price of the older Tamiya Lanc a HKM version would be most welcome and the price would seem reasonable.  Their 1/48 B-17 had great reviews as well as their 1/32 Lanc so I would expect this would be welcomed be the modeler community.

I would buy a HKM 48th Lanc. I bought their 1/32 B-17G, decided I would have nowhere to put the beast and sold it on. I was very pleased to be able to buy the 1/48 B-17 when they released it as it's a far more manageable scale for me (as much as I wanted the 32nd kit) . It's a good model, and as much as I love the venerable old Monogram kit, the HKM B-17 is streets ahead. I think there would be a market for a new 1/48th Lancaster.

Steve

On 9/25/2020 at 12:04 PM, Acky190 said:

Neil, I'm not questioning whether Mike and Co have been in Comms with HKM merely that it's going to take a huge amount of pre orders before any company is going to be willing to invest the vast sums of money required for a completely new tooling, no matter how badly needed it may be. 

Surely a 1:48 Lancaster is going to hugely popular and well worth producing, more so than a 1:32 one which two different manufacturers developed, and one brought to the market.

The Lancaster is a very popular and well known subject, it doesn't have any parallel to the Nimrod kit, and that's coming from someone who prefers Nimrods.

I would welcome a new 1/48 scale Lancaster, if for no other reason than it's a good all round scale. At a time when we see a move to 1/32 scale aircraft there are limits to how many will sell, the bigger the subject. 1/32 is perfect for anything from single engined to smaller twins, but for a lanc, I can't see many modellers having space.

For many years, the Tamiya kit has been the only offering, but a bit of choice wouldnt harm.

I seem to remember it being mentioned talk of a 1/48 HKM Lancaster too, not sure how many early variant HKM 1/48 B-17's sold? would depend on that too I suppose, but seem to remember semi promises of more 1/48 B-17s in future and hints of Lancs too ???

No promises were made, just hints from the grapevine that came out after release of the first HKM 1/48 early B-17 ... its a good kit, more shape accurate than their 1/32 ones nose wise ... have one, but if it never sold enough, maybe that's because guys were waiting for a later semi promised model B-17 with stagerred waist gun positions, would have preferred that myself and to do "Bit of Lace" so maybe, just maybe, early HK B-17s never sold that well and they think we don't like them? so no more 1/48 B-17's or Lancs either ??

Just a thought.

2 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I think there would be a market for a new 1/48th Lancaster.

1 hour ago, Radpoe Spitfire said:

the Tamiya kit has been the only offering, but a bit of choice wouldnt harm.

The Tamiya kit, while looking the part,  has plenty of detail issues.

One thing, I saw some a series of problems/glitches listed for the 1/32nd HKM kit, (discussed on Large Scale planes?)   as a mish mash of airframe detail IIRC,  if they took onboard those issues that would be great.

Not helped that these Lancaster airframes  are in classic British fashion to an extent arcane, confusion and dotted with yes, mostly except in this case ... details.

There are enough Lancaster experts about that these can be sorted out though.

Be interesting as well, now Eduard have just done a Spitfire with the correct raised rivets on the rear fuselage, if HKM could try to replicate the real external structure that would be great.