Grey bars with numbers instead of pictures

Hi all, Pete in RI here. I am starting to have issues seeing pictures on threads. It started on my android phone, not being able to see Mike Norris's pics, but could see them on my PC. Now I can't see Moerien's HMS Victory pics on my PC, just get grey bars with a bunch of numbers in them. I right click on the bar and try to open them in the options given to no avail. Any idea's?? Regards, Pete in RI

4 hours ago, europapete said:

Hi all, Pete in RI here. I am starting to have issues seeing pictures on threads. It started on my android phone, not being able to see Mike Norris's pics, but could see them on my PC. Now I can't see Moerien's HMS Victory pics on my PC, just get grey bars with a bunch of numbers in them. I right click on the bar and try to open them in the options given to no avail. Any idea's?? Regards, Pete in RI

It probably has to do with photo size and time to upload them. There have been a few discussions since last year on the subject. 

A moderator can probably explain this better Im not the best when it comes to tech. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

6 hours ago, Julien said:

This is a problem with the way the pictures are hosted, not the site or the size of the pictures.

Julien, perhaps you could expand on that. Occasionally I get the grey bar when using Chrome. Sometimes switching to Firefox solves the issue but not always. It often seems that other BM users can see what I can't. I'm confused.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Julien, perhaps you could expand on that. Occasionally I get the grey bar when using Chrome. Sometimes switching to Firefox solves the issue but not always. It often seems that other BM users can see what I can't. I'm confused.

Hi Dennis, do you have the same issue?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Julien said:

This is a problem with the way the pictures are hosted, not the site or the size of the pictures.

Are you shure about that?

I've occasionally got the flashing grey bar on my own photos

I believe it is the hosting site. It only allows a posted image to be viewed for a certain amount of time. In Post #3, I can see the newest photos, but at the top of the page, only flickering grey.

The images in question seem to have been hosted by IPSImage.

Chris

17 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Are you shure about that?

I've occasionally got the flashing grey bar on my own photos

Yes, it is not a speed problem or a BM problem it is a hosting issue, 

On 9/25/2020 at 2:59 PM, Vinnie said:

Hi Dennis, do you have the same issue?

Sometimes, I have found as traffic slows down on the forum between 2am and 8am U.K. time most pictures appear. However during busier times I run into more blinking grey boxes or grey bars with numbers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sometimes, I have found as traffic slows down on the forum between 2am and 8am U.K. time most pictures appear. However during busier times I run into more blinking grey boxes or grey bars with numbers. 

I'm glad you said that,I thought it was Me being part of the old grey set.Phew !!! 

Jim

• Like 1

Yes. well. 

There are several picture laden sites such as Pinterest, Facebook and Google photos that require some sort of authentication to be able to see the pictures.

In case of GPhoto and Facebook, there is an added obstacle in that the links you post contain a socalled auth token in the URL which expires - in that case it's permanent grey pixels.

• Like 2