Studio27 PC4 and other DFV cars 1/20

Stickframe

HI Ron, thanks!  in the process though, I am getting a bit burned out 😅  I need to soldier on and get moving!!  Leaving bits and pieces scattered about will just lead to me breaking or losing them 😁  I have painted the base color on the body, but ran out of clearcoat, so am waiting for a new supply to arrive.  I really want to get the car assembled, but of course, not that easy - I need to build another rack for this to be sitting on!  And, unlike the previous two, I'll need to be a bit more careful with the height and placement so the "dangling" rear end parts can be firmly attached to the dio base - see? I just keep talking myself out of finishing!  

Cheers and stay well - 

Nick 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stickframe said:

HI Ron, thanks!  in the process though, I am getting a bit burned out 😅  I need to soldier on and get moving!!  Leaving bits and pieces scattered about will just lead to me breaking or losing them 😁  I have painted the base color on the body, but ran out of clearcoat, so am waiting for a new supply to arrive.  I really want to get the car assembled, but of course, not that easy - I need to build another rack for this to be sitting on!  And, unlike the previous two, I'll need to be a bit more careful with the height and placement so the "dangling" rear end parts can be firmly attached to the dio base - see? I just keep talking myself out of finishing!  

Cheers and stay well - 

Nick 

Believe me mate...I know the feeling only too well now :)

Every time I say no more bloody detail...guess what........

• Haha 1

Funny you'd say that, Ron.....haha - After seeing Malc's work on the rear end of his F1......well, I realized I "needed" to add another never to be seen again part - the bracket that is installed under the trans, that the lower control arms would attach to.  So, I went ahead and added one of those, making if from .32" thick alu, and adding some small metal bolt heads - clearly a crucial add to the project! 😁

51078864568_5dec48bc1c_b.jpg

51078864558_61481ba1b1_b.jpg

And there you have it - another "crucial" detail never to be seen again!  the control arms are dryfit - they will eventually be attached to the lower part of the respective hub assemblies.  BTW, I also discovered the Tamiya trans comes with three, rather than four protruding mounting studs for this bracket, I'm guessing to make establishing mounting orientation of the plastic part easier.  This doesn't really help when doing what I did, and instead it makes locating the alu bracket a bit awkward - oh, and the oil drain plug that sticks out from the trans doesn't help either!  It is conveniently located immediately behind the mounting location of the new bracket/tab used for the control arms, making it very difficult to drill out/open using the tools I have.   

And below, how it will be used:

51078864488_b4ec4766f9_b.jpg

51079656382_7c531695e2_b.jpg

51079560001_99e935f89b_b.jpg

Technically, that should probably be a trans jack, and not just a floor jack - but come on! I don't have it in me to build another! 😁  or, at least not now - haha

Something else I thought about again, was what if a guy really wanted to do all of these add ons, and then attach it all to the rear end of the car?  As noted before, I think I'd build two kits in parallel.  One in plastic, oob, to establish and ensure dimensional correctness.  Next though, I might use the kit provided drive shaft/propellers for stability on the modified version.  While I'll bet with enough time and motivation, a guy could duplicate all of this and make it fit, it seems that in order to counter the sag that comes with "apparent" metal fasteners (that is bolt and nuts that look real, but don't actually have threads for tightening) the oob plastic shaft would be best to actually set and hold the desired hub spindle centerline and keep the suspension from sagging. And, considering Ron's recent adventures with U-joints, I have to concede, I don't think I know how to/have the skill required to make dimensionally correct U-joints that also function, or in this case, that I could fix to establish ride height.  And, no, I don't think I could achieve the same using the metal shocks/springs - they are hard enough to manipulate as this size as it is!

While I'm waiting for some clear coat to arrive for the body, maybe I'll paint this up.

Happy model building gents -

Nick 

• Like 2

Hi Ron,

Thanks for that! I appreciate it - no doubt subconsciously pushes me to keep trying!  I enjoy the build, and you're right, it's now hard for me to do oob - seems not so much my thing anymore.

And for today, another car about done - aside from the throttle linkage and attaching four more lower control arms on the rear suspension - here we go:

51090605917_4e173ca819_h.jpg

51090521851_62efd70a60_b.jpg

51090605897_4c3ca1b430_b.jpg

51090605877_8a75f647b9_b.jpg

51090521831_4e6d3c8e25_h.jpg

51090595559_cfbd7f947e_b.jpg

51090605852_9e89ea5438_b.jpg

51090605847_657481869e_h.jpg

After all that, decided to build a trans jack - pretty straight forward - bottle jack on rolling deck (looks like a lawn mower!) with adapter plate on top to hold trans...

51091327105_fda59e4b45_h.jpg

51090605812_32aac82426_h.jpg

Too bad about the dust particles here and there - they're not in the paint, just on top of it.  To get the blue shade, mixed Vallejo French and Arctic Blue, then a few layers of Alclad Aqua Gloss II - and a nice finish!  

So from here, back to the dio I suppose - plenty to do there, including figures!

On we go gents - happy model building and stay well  -

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 3

HI Ron, yep, will do, and thanks!   I think I'll be back on the dio shortly.  Work has been keeping me busy, hence the painfully slow build of this car!  even now, on Saturday!  I'm just sneaking away for a quick reply.  I've got a project going that is a challenge, and this is a nice distraction! which is why I got into model building in the first place!  😁  The dio is big, but not huge - maybe a 20" x 30" or so. base.  I've been adding odds and ends to it also, but nothing big or interesting enough to post.  But, more interesting will come.  I think once these cars in various states of disrepair get placed in the shop, it will make sense. 

I've scouted out an outdoor location for photos.  There's a big community park area near me - it's odd - just paved with some benches, which I think was used for food trucks/gatherings etc pre-pandemic.  It's surrounded though by old low rise low rise industrial buildings - plenty of big sky.  My plan is to photo the shop there, as the backdrop might be nice, and it's isolated enough that I won't have people/kids/dogs in the background! I can take pics of individual vehicles in the park in front of my place, but need to keep an eye out for out of scale variables 😁 

So on we go - when work lets up some, I'll get back to the project, though I haven't decided where to start.  I already built "roll up doors" for the shop, but I don't like the way they turned out yet - I left them a bit too long, so they'll get cut down - too bad, as they're already painted! at least not installed!

Take care

Cheers

Nick 

Hi guys,

Thanks for leaving some notes 🙂 -  I think I'll be going back to posting follow on work in the dio section of the forums.  Will get into figure painting, finishing/installing walls, building the roof, and adding details like more tools, spare parts and so on.  In any case, I'll post car-oriented images here as they come along.  It seems car work will include making a couple of throttle linkages, adding brake lines, more various wires and hoses dangling from cars, and such.

Thanks for checking it out - and swing on by the dio wip area now and then to see what's happening!

Nick 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys,

Well, I have been spending more time on the dio lately, and it's coming right along:

51115451967_530e308b0e_b.jpg

And also decided, this build needs a shop truck.  There are not too many to choose from at 1/20 scale, so I settled on an AMT 1993 GMC Sonoma 4x4.  Not a bad kit - but, the suspension they provide, well, it's odd - not like any GMC I've seen.  So, I reworked it to look more realistic, but that doesn't matter much as I added a flat bed, so you can't see down there anyway!  First, the WIP, some kit, some scratch:

51123331677_574acd5603_b.jpg

And with some paint:

51129927754_78c86c395e_b.jpg

51130082098_e254716094_b.jpg

51129913777_c72ea53782_h.jpg

51130984405_cc53180349_b.jpg

51129927689_ff53a7d49e_b.jpg

I scuffed it up a bit, and will likely add a light dust wash.  The parts in the bed are from the PC4.  I used seatbelt material for the tie down straps - the idea is the nose is either being loaded or unloaded, while the tail still strapped in tight.

Thanks for having a look - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 3

Well you got that truck done a bit quick mate...looks the business...only two small criticisms...me being me...scene has an English feel to it...truck is more other side of pond...and tyres are too damn clean!

Other than those minor personal points of view...all good...usual superb results :)

Ron

• Thanks 1

Good evening
oops, I missed your topic.
Your work is beautiful and what about your dio.
Your machine tools and other workshop tools are superb...I love this kind of creation from scratch, it gives a real added value to the whole.
I will follow your work closely. 

• Thanks 1

@silver911, hi Ron, thanks, and good points as always!  Regarding the tires....well, I sanded them with a coarse sanding block,  but I think I'll need to add a dust wash to knock the shine back, and to give them a more used look.  As for the geography - another interesting point!  This building is based on several prototypes that are located near where I live, which is directly east of San Francisco, across the bay.  It turns out that in the 1930's the area was primarily light industrial, including many metal and sheet metal working shops.  Many of the buildings are wood frame construction with corrugated metal siding (I have no idea why they weren't metal framed buildings?) - and, even a few clad with wood siding.  The small shed certainly looks like the original Cosworth shop, which someone posted a pic of early in the thread.  The Cosworth shop is even more remarkable because of how small it is!  it looks like a deep, single stall width garage, that cranked out the best racers of the day!  

@Ghost69, thanks very much, I appreciate you taking the time to stop by.  I do enjoy scratch building, actually much more than finishing (painting) models!  Next for this will be painting figures, which is not something I'm looking forward to, but I have an approach in mind.  Once the figures are done, I'll install them, the cars, and various tools, then, build the roof!  

Cheers, stay well, and thanks for having a look - 

Nick 

• Like 1

Fair comment Nick...it just looks kind of an English shop to me personally...hence my comments.

A cotton bud (Q Tip) dampened in Lacquer thinner should take the shine off those tyres...followed by your wash.

Keep well mate :)

Ron

• 1 month later...

Hello gents, for those of you who'd like to see it, this dio is now done - I attached a couple of pics here, and attach the link to the ready for inspection area in the dio section:

Here we go:

51213486708_eb25f689f2_h.jpg

51212555832_b92a75eb2b_b.jpg

51212556117_faea81b89a_b.jpg

This turned into a pretty fun project  - ok, 

Thanks for having a look

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 4

Well that's spoilt my fun...and I had a long list still for you to add...what am I going to do for my fix of dio fun now!

Honestly Nick...there really aren't the words to genuinely praise this high enough...quite simply...a masterclass of of skill/innovation and endurance.

Much respect mate :)

Ron

• Thanks 1

@silver911  Ron!  thanks very much for leaving a note!

Your fingerprints can be found all over this build! In the form of specific objects and finishes, and more importantly, in the form of an overarching attitude, or intent - to keep modeling, repairing, redoing, until it looks right.  This must sound weird, but what I have realized is that there are two ways to look at an object.  One is what your mind's eye shows, and the other, what it actually looks like!!  I kept thinking about your builds - the Renault, or the 312.  Not so much as to try to copy either, but to consider your approach and desired end result, and the to address the question - "does this look real?"   or at least, convincing! And how do subtle variance in texture. materials, and finishes change the outcome. 

The concrete floor and transition to asphalt driveway, and stains on both being a prime example - there simply aren't the paints etc that you apply to "get" the finish.  There are several layers, airbrush, hand brush, pastels, lacquers....for what? to try to get them to look right!

I've started a new project, and might just start it in the dio section, as it will be a dio.  There will be civilian vehicles, but pretty heavily modified, so maybe not the best for here?   I hope you get a chance to see this too - your thoughts and comments appreciated! 😁

Cheers

Nick