Lockheed P2V-5 Neptune wheel wells

hsr

I am going to be building a Lockheed P2V-5 Neptune using the Hasegawa kit and the Blackbird conversion. I plan on building it in a gloss Sea Blue color scheme. Does anyone know what color I should paint the wheel wells and landing gear?

Thanks

According to The Official Monogram US Navy & Marine Corps Color Guide, volume 3, MIL-F-7179 dated 4/16/51, specified that interior structures such as bomb bays, baggage compartments, and other structures formerly painted with tinted or untinted zinc chromate primer were now required to be painted with  primer to be tinted to match nonspecular interior green, which was FS34151.  The landing gear struts seen in photos of P2V-5's in the overall glossy sea blue scheme had aluminum painted landing gear struts. P2V-5's in the seaplane grey/white or gull grey/white scheme had glossy insignia white landing gear struts and wheel bays. P2V-4's and earlier versions had sea blue landing gear struts, as seen on the famous P2V-2 Truculent Turtle on display at the National Museum of Naval Aviation at Pensacola. See the  Neptune website link below which has a lot of useful information, in case you don't already have it. Hope this helps.

Mike

https://p2vneptune.com/v135.shtml

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

According to The Official Monogram US Navy & Marine Corps Color Guide, volume 3, MIL-F-7179 dated 4/16/51, specified that interior structures such as bomb bays, baggage compartments, and other structures formerly painted with tinted or untinted zinc chromate primer were now required to be painted with  primer to be tinted to match nonspecular interior green, which was FS34151.  The landing gear struts seen in photos of P2V-5's in the overall glossy sea blue scheme had aluminum painted landing gear struts. P2V-5's in the seaplane grey/white or gull grey/white scheme had glossy insignia white landing gear struts and wheel bays. P2V-4's and earlier versions had sea blue landing gear struts, as seen on the famous P2V-2 Truculent Turtle on display at the National Museum of Naval Aviation at Pensacola. See the  Neptune website link below which has a lot of useful information, in case you don't already have it. Hope this helps.

Mike

https://p2vneptune.com/v135.shtml

Thanks for that Mike. Storing it away for when I tackle my 1/144 Neptune's!

Terry

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

According to The Official Monogram US Navy & Marine Corps Color Guide, volume 3

I have to get that book.

Thanks Mike. Most helpful as usual.

Howard