Hello everyone... This is the first of many tributes to minority pilots that flew for the allies. Flight Sergeant James Joseph Hyde flew with 132 Squadron flying Spitfires.

3PRW9cs.jpg

First with Mk.V’s and eventually Mk.IX’s shown here with his squadron’s mascot “Dingo”. Here is  the clip about his service from the Caribbean aircrew website. 
2zf2bsU.jpg

https://www.caribbeanaircrew-ww2.com/

Sadly J.J.Hyde lost his life on September the 25th 1944, seventy six years ago tomorrow. He was flying air support over the Arnhem area around Nijmegen for the trapped British Para’s. His flight was intercepted by Fw.190’s & BF-109G’s of Jg.26. In the ensuing dogfight Jg.26 claimed four spitfires one of which was Hyde’s. So I show him honor and respect by building this Spitfire. It is an 1/72 Eduard Mk.IXe in the markings of his personal aircraft PL316 coded FF*S. 
LFJCEdK.jpg

A1LHspy.jpg

B7dXjRr.jpg

g051Epk.jpg

SSMjCa4.jpg

Gt8uwto.jpg

9kCOejl.jpg

YJHJ83U.jpg

vPRBVA3.jpg

PibfMeh.jpg

Again one simple word Respect ! :poppy:

L3Z38mE.jpg
Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 64
  • Thanks 6

Love that first colour photo of James with his dog, & that Spitfire model is superb tribute.

Always good to hear about international & commonwealth pilots flying in the RAF during WW2.

I was once asked by someone in Burma doing research of a Burmese Hawker Typhoon pilot for use of a photo of a Typhoon cockpit, & was quite surprised to hear about this chap. Sadly I've forgotten the pilots name only that he flew from RAF Warmwell.

Martin

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

I was once asked by someone in Burma doing research of a Burmese Hawker Typhoon pilot for use of a photo of a Typhoon cockpit, & was quite surprised to hear about this chap. Sadly I've forgotten the pilots name only that he flew from RAF Warmwell.

I think he might be mentioned in the thread that I started, I seem to recall a similar reference. Hydes Spitfire will only be the first I will try to do. There is a Beaufighter Pilot in the thread and that may be my next build in the Respect series. 

• Like 1

I couldn't find reference to the Burmese pilot in there.

I had pics of the Duxford located Typhoon cockpit on Flickr & some chap was doing a government funded Burmese WW2 website & had details on the pilot. I'd have to dig into my Flickr messages to find more details on the pilot.

Look forward to seeing the Beaufighter & the subject is a superb reason for building a particular aircraft, instead of building with decals from out of the box.

Martin

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

I think he's the chap on the right on the wing

3070226855_c00e5c8845_h.jpgHawker Typhoon IB by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

a bit of searching brings up

"Flt Lt Htin Yain Lao was a Burmese RAFVR pilot on 257 (Burma) sqn. According to Roger A Freeman's "The Royal Air Force of World War Two in Colour", he was the only Burmese airman in Europe. He was killed when his aircraft crashed in a snowstorm returning from an Op on 20 Jan '45.

20 January 1945
257 Squadron
Typhoon IB RB319 'V'
F/L. M Y. Lao +
Crashed in bad weather south west of Utrecht.

F/L.Lao was the second of four Burmese pilots who had joined 257 (Burma) Squadron in 1943 to die.

'2nd Tactical Air Force' Vol.3 - Shores/Thomas"

I expect @Chris Thomas  would know if the photo is the pilot above.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Troy, thanks for that fantastic photo & those details.

My memory is terrible! As a result it was really bugging me so I've just had a look back into my flickr messages from the chap who purchased my Typhoon cockpit photo from me.

The request was to include the photograph for a ducumentary being made about this chap..

Henry Talalla.

Best I could find was this history of Henry & his brother Cyril.

Not sure what happened to the aforementioned documentary as this link doesn't include my cockpit photo!

http://viweb.school/talalla-bros.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Respect indeed and may he rest in peace. What a lovely way to keep his memory alive. 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nice job!  So unusual to see a "bombed-up" Spitfire, too.  Good to pay tribute here on/about the anniversary of Market Garden and to contrast our treatment (in the U.S.) of black airmen with that of the Commonwealth.

Im planning on a Tuskegee build also but need to find decals. They're all out of production or sold out. 

• Like 2

Spectacular and well-deserved tribute, Dennis! Great idea fot a series of builds, as well.

25 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im planning on a Tuskegee build also but need to find decals. They're all out of production or sold out. 

Not sure what you're planning, but decals for Lt. Col. Lee "Buddy" Archer's "Ina the Macon Belle" were included in Pegasus' 1/48 'Easy Build' P-51B. I've probably got the left-over sheet tucked away somewhere if you're interested.

Once again, great work!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

Spectacular and well-deserved tribute, Dennis! Great idea fot a series of builds, as well.

Not sure what you're planning, but decals for Lt. Col. Lee "Buddy" Archer's "Ina the Macon Belle" were included in Pegasus' 1/48 'Easy Build' P-51B. I've probably got the left-over sheet tucked away somewhere if you're interested.

Once again, great work!

Thanks with everything going on in the world I thought it best to do something like this to pay respects to those that served. ... I will P/M you regards the decals. 

16 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Nice tribute. I'd like to build more models featuring Irishmen who flew and fought in the RAF. So far I've only managed one of Brendan Finucane's Spitfires. I'd like to have a go at David Lord's Dakota.

Thank you... A grand idea I look forward to the Dak. :thumbsup:

• Like 1