Sopwith Pup "Gnome"

Thanks again for the comments chaps.

5 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

really unusual scheme that must have been difficult to achieve, I wonder what was the point of it?

The aircraft was a trainer, so the scheme was probably for visibility.

5 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

The wood finish round the cockpit is lovely, is it a decal or paint effect?

It's done with paint. A pale wood base coat, then a darker brown acrylic brushed over and wiped off with a sponge to create the grain

Wingnut+Wings+Sopwith+Pup+Gnome+Build+21

Andy:cat:

• Like 1

Wow, Andy, just simply Wow!!

That is one of the best finished WnW kits that I have seen on here and quite possibly one of the very best model aircraft I've ever seen. It could easily have been the original aircraft photographed in a studio setting and no-one would be any wiser.

Anyway, there are few superlatives, certainly none that I can think of, that would do your work justice.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Do the WnW tell you what unit it was serving with at the time??

It was at the School of Special Flying, at Gosport, where the system of flying training we all use today was pretty well invented. It is worth looking into the work they did (and the lives they saved) under Robert Smith Barry. Instructors were allowed their own aircraft to hone their skills, as if the instructors could not fly to the edge of the envelope, how could they teach pilots to avoid it safely. This Pup was used by Harold Balfour who became Secretary of State for Air in World War Two.

It is a great model of a surprisingly significant aeroplane. 

much better than my attempt....

• Thanks 2

On 26 September 2020 at 3:25 PM, Andy Moore said:

Thanks again for the comments chaps.

The aircraft was a trainer, so the scheme was probably for visibility.

It's done with paint. A pale wood base coat, then a darker brown acrylic brushed over and wiped off with a sponge to create the grain

Wingnut+Wings+Sopwith+Pup+Gnome+Build+21

It looks great, I usually go for oil on an acrylic base coat, but I might try your method next time as it would dry a lot quicker. The leather trim on the cockpit edge also looks good, any tips there if I may ask?

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, sanfrandragon said:

It looks great, I usually go for oil on an acrylic base coat, but I might try your method next time as it would dry a lot quicker. The leather trim on the cockpit edge also looks good, any tips there if I may ask?

Thanks, the acrylics are definitely quicker to work with, and a far less delicate one dry.  They're quite blendable too if you add a little drying retarder or glaze medium.

The leather trim is just a thinned coat of Vallejo Cavelry Brown over the base coat I'd applied for the wood. Later on I added an enamel pin wash around the stitching to bring out the detail more.

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/30/2020 at 8:54 AM, MikeC said:

Absolutely stunning.  :goodjob:

I was planning this scheme myself, that's pure inspiration to get on with it.

And I'm doing it; you can see it over on the LSP forum, I won't post a link as I don't want to hijack your thread, and it may well be against forum regs.  I've just finished painting the black, and wanted to ask: did you paint the fuselage stripes or use the decals provided?

• Thanks 1

R U kidding me?

That is actually astonishing!

The realism is incredible....all with restraint and just beautiful precision and execution

Make some more aircraft! :) 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MikeC said:

I've just finished painting the black, and wanted to ask: did you paint the fuselage stripes or use the decals provided?

I painted all the stripes. It was a bit more fiddly, but it meant I could get a consistent black shade over the whole aircraft. The decal stripes were too much of a pure black for my taste.

I just checked out your build on LSP, and it looks excellent. I used the same 10mm spacing as you on the wing stripes, which was indeed very handy.