3D Printing Cold Weather (Garage/Shed) Fix - Anycubic Photon

wellsprop

Hi all,

Since summer abruptly ended this Monday gone, I have had significant problems with my Anycubic Photon printer, multiple failed prints despite having no issues previously. I cleaned, reset and aligned everything, but to no avail, therefore the cold weather must be to blame.

My printer is out in my garage, which has been very hot throughout the summer 20-30 degrees easily and retains the heat overnight. Since it's got cold, it's been going down below 10 degrees, which has led to multiple failed prints.

Here's my solution

IMGP0950

IMGP0952

IMGP0953

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AIICIOO-Reptile-Heat-Warmer-Thermostat/dp/B083HTFVDF/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=100884513262&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwwab7BRBAEiwAapqpTOhzyrXTcQxyahJ8LyA9W5HN_8KAxhcYfkV25tYn6gcyf4oe6cESIBoCa-AQAvD_BwE&hvadid=445889290454&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9045663&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9376490572805432887&hvtargid=kwd-300346743099&hydadcr=7168_1741700&keywords=heat+pad+with+thermostat&qid=1600779227&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-21

I bought the above reptile heater mat with thermostat from amazon for £35 and slid the mat around the back of the z axis and taped the thermostat to the inside of the printer. I cut a small slot into the door through which the cables exit.

I set the thermostat to 28 degrees and put the upturned box (in which the printer arrived) over the top of the printer.

Results? No failed prints last night (it was even chillier last night too!).

Cheers

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Ben, I shall probably invest in one of those; however, I will look into laying it flat and building an aperture around it, with the printer raised a cm or so above it. 

cheers,

Mike

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

Thanks Ben, I shall probably invest in one of those; however, I will look into laying it flat and building an aperture around it, with the printer raised a cm or so above it. 

cheers,

Mike

That's what I did at first, with the box placed over the top. I found it didn't hold heat so well. It would probably be worth creating some sort of well insulated box to put over the whole thing if you go down that route.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bit of an update, in the last couple weeks it has got VERY cold here, dropping below freezing overnight (the garage must go down to just above freezing).

I've had to put the plastic bag that the printer came in over the printer, before putting the box over the top to make sure it's insulated enough - it stays at a toasty 28 degrees c.