1/43 Lola T70GT, Brands Hatch 1967

This is my model of the Lola T70GT entered by Sid Taylor Racing for the 1967 BOAC 500 race at Brands Hatch, and driven by Jack Brabham and Denny Hulme.  It started from pole position, but retired with clutch problems.

It is the Automodelli Studio (ex Marsh Models) resin and metal kit.

spacer.png

It was a reasonably straight forward build, but I added a few extra details.

spacer.png

I substituted the seat harness with Racing 43 and Renaissance parts, scratch built the small extinguisher in the cockpit, and added the mesh covers over the carburettors.  These were made with frames of rose wire and surplus mesh from a finished Marsh Can-Am Lola.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The body was airbrushed with Revell 04 white, the rest being Humbrol enamels.  I replaced the kit's green stripes with equivalent decals from Fantasy Printshop, and the race numbers came from an old Tenariv decal sheet.

Trevor

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, Andy J said:

The more I see these 1/43 kits the more I think i may have to try building a couple of my own 🤔

Thanks very much.  They are often relatively simple kits, but super detailed kits are also out there.  I prefer the simpler kind, and then add details of my own, such as on this one.  

Trevor

1 minute ago, klubman01 said:

Thanks very much.  They are often relatively simple kits, but super detailed kits are also out there.  I prefer the simpler kind, and then add details of my own, such as on this one.  

Trevor

So could you suggest a few manufacturers of these kits Trevor then I will have a better idea of what I'm looking for 🙂👍

Certainly.  Depending on what sort of model you wish to make, there is the British Marsh Models who make, mainly, Can-Am and Le Mans type sports cars.  Tameo from Italy make excellent Formula One kits.  Plus there are several, now defunct, French companies such as Record, Starter and Provence Moulage which can still be found on eBay, etc.  There are loads of accessories, decals, etc. from a whole sub-set of outfits such as Indycals and Le Mans Decals.

Your best bet, I suggest, is to visit the Grand Prix Models website.  GPM are pretty much the shop for 1/43 scale.  

What I like best about 1/43 is the shear variety of kits available, many of which would not be touched by the large companies who produce injection moulded kits.  1/43 kits tend to be short run and relatively simple to produce, either in resin or white metal.  My main interests are Can-Am and Le Mans type sports racers and I've managed to get pretty much everything on my wish list.  I also like the fact that the finished model fits in the box it came in, thus making storage so much easier.

Hope that points you to the path of 1/43 scale models.

Trevor

• Like 1

1 minute ago, klubman01 said:

Certainly.  Depending on what sort of model you wish to make, there is the British Marsh Models who make, mainly, Can-Am and Le Mans type sports cars.  Tameo from Italy make excellent Formula One kits.  Plus there are several, now defunct, French companies such as Record, Starter and Provence Moulage which can still be found on eBay, etc.  There are loads of accessories, decals, etc. from a whole sub-set of outfits such as Indycals and Le Mans Decals.

Your best bet, I suggest, is to visit the Grand Prix Models website.  GPM are pretty much the shop for 1/43 scale.  

What I like best about 1/43 is the shear variety of kits available, many of which would not be touched by the large companies who produce injection moulded kits.  1/43 kits tend to be short run and relatively simple to produce, either in resin or white metal.  My main interests are Can-Am and Le Mans type sports racers and I've managed to get pretty much everything on my wish list.  I also like the fact that the finished model fits in the box it came in, thus making storage so much easier.

Hope that points you to the path of 1/43 scale models.

Trevor

Brilliant thanks Trevor I'm off to have a look right now 👍

• Like 1

I love this model Trevor,Marsh Models are definitely a big step ahead in the detail department.i have a Tenariv kit which is pretty basic in comparison,obviously it's not been built yet. Andy you could always just search for 1/43 kit on eBay - I noticed that both klubman  and myself have both listed some kits this week! There are some ridiculous prices asked by some people however. Chris.

• Like 1

Thanks Rab.  I have a lot of detail parts by Renaissance.  Such a wide range, and always useful for adding that bit of extra detail.

Cheers Chris.  Gotta like Marsh Models.  Just the right amount of complexity, scope to add a bit of detail, nice decals, and a proper instruction sheet, unlike Starter or PM which just had a photo or two.

Andy, as Chris says, there are plenty to be had on eBay.  Just be aware that shipping costs from the States are quite high if you buy from an American seller.

Trevor

• Like 1

Excellent build of an iconic car and you have achieved what is so difficult in 1/43 scale - realism and depth in the finishes both inside and out, particularly with white which is such a difficult colour in scale. I have the Automodelli/ Marsh T70 kit in the Brian Muir Norisring configuration with it half finished and on the bench. Well done - you show what 1/43 can present covering great subjects that will never be seen in larger scales.

Steve.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fazmodeller said:

Excellent build of an iconic car and you have achieved what is so difficult in 1/43 scale - realism and depth in the finishes both inside and out, particularly with white which is such a difficult colour in scale. I have the Automodelli/ Marsh T70 kit in the Brian Muir Norisring configuration with it half finished and on the bench. Well done - you show what 1/43 can present covering great subjects that will never be seen in larger scales.

Steve.

spacer.png

Thanks Steve.

Yours is looking good so far.  The biggest fit issue I encountered was the alignment of chassis to body at the rear.  I needed to perform a bit of surgery to achieve the correct position of the rear axle.  The rest, being ex-Marsh, went together much as expected.  I look forward to seeing the model.

Thanks for your kind words regarding the finish.  White is not the easiest colour to work with, but quite a few of my particular favourites are finished in white (Chaparrals, early Porsches, etc.) so I now have a bit more experience.  Thin coats of paint carefully polished works for me.  (Black is another colour that responds to similar treatment.)  I don't apply a clearcoat, preferring a slightly duller finish.  The modern, high gloss, finishes on modern cars are not appropriate to cars from the sixties and seventies.

Trevor

• Like 2

On 25/09/2020 at 07:07, klubman01 said:

Gotta like Marsh Models. 

Are they actually still producing kits do you know Trevor? I was mooching around their website last week and all I could see for sale were handbuilts.

That'a a beautiful little Lola, another 1/43rd jewel appearing in RFI! Like Steve I am really impressed with the finish you've got, it looks beautifully in scale - lovely model all round!

Keith

PS I think @Andy J has taken the bait, I don't think it'll be long before we see some emerging from his bench! And I must crack on with the few I've got left - far too much inspiration on here recently! :)

• Haha 1

Yes,Marsh Models are very much still in action. Sign up for their news e mail,I got one last week of their latest 1/32 airplane kit.

Their newest car release is the Gilles Villeneuve Can Am Wolf Dallara,and I'm  sorely tempted by this one! Before that they have made  

a raft of Ferrari 330P4 and Ferrari 312P the open cars of 170/71. I agree about their website,it's very out of date but John Simons is still going strong. Chris.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

PS I think @Andy J has taken the bait, I don't think it'll be long before we see some emerging from his bench! And I must crack on with the few I've got left - far too much inspiration on here recently! :)

I hope you are right.  Always good to see another convert to the true path!

BM seems to have a growing number of 1/43 modellers and fans.  Long may that continue.

Trevor 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, klubman01 said:

I hope you are right.  Always good to see another convert to the true path!

BM seems to have a growing number of 1/43 modellers and fans.  Long may that continue.

Trevor 

Indeed, come to the dark side, we have tweezers, magnifiers and severe eyestrain. 

Rab

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I have indeed and a couple will be finding there way into my stash. However they will be future builds as after the Corolla is finished im building a vehicle with a lot more than 4 wheels 😉