Heston Type 5 Racer...I must be barking!

Courageous

Great choice of subject Stuart, and a Vacform! Will enjoy watching this one. Having built three vac forms in my entire life (one was about 30 years ago, the other two very recent), I have a fascination for them.

Good luck!

Terry

• Like 1

50405408446_640ddbfd13_c.jpg
If you’re going down the weird racer theme you couldn’t do any better than a 1921 Bristol racer ( on the left) the one in the right is a 1913 Depredussin, both 1/32 both scratchbuilt. I think you can get kits of both in 1/72 @Moa has built a Bristol fairly recently and a Depredussin a while back too.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

Well, in at the deep end as they say.

20201004-220035.jpg

Sanding down these fuselage halves were a bit of a chore, not helping with the thinness of the plastic, bending all over the place. I'm hoping that I've taken enough at the tail end but we'll see. The side walls had stringers and frames added and will need other bits added too but seeing that no cockpit pics exist, it'll be some artistic license. I tried to use the central former as best I can but the vac lacked definition, so i cut it in half for best fit and cemented it into one half. I lengthened the floor as I wasn't happy where the former wanted it to stop. A definite pain was the making of the cockpit rear wall. Not having a profile gauge of any sorts, it was the case of whittling/ sanding until it fitted. The mating half does fit rather well but strategic fixing tabs will need to be fitted to aid cementing.

Cockpit still needs obvious things like an i/p, peddles, control column and seat/  harness. Also need to fit out the radiator intake and radiator tail exhaust.

Stuart

• Like 13

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Stuart especially as you have no profile gauge too.

Cheers Chris, the gauge is something else I've been meaning to buy. :think:

8 hours ago, Moa said:

That is looking really good, Stuart!

Thanks Moa, it's your subliminal thoughts getting into my head...even from thousands of miles away.

Stuart

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

Well, in at the deep end as they say.

20201004-220035.jpg

Sanding down these fuselage halves were a bit of a chore, not helping with the thinness of the plastic, bending all over the place. I'm hoping that I've taken enough at the tail end but we'll see. The side walls had stringers and frames added and will need other bits added too but seeing that no cockpit pics exist, it'll be some artistic license. I tried to use the central former as best I can but the vac lacked definition, so i cut it in half for best fit and cemented it into one half. I lengthened the floor as I wasn't happy where the former wanted it to stop. A definite pain was the making of the cockpit rear wall. Not having a profile gauge of any sorts, it was the case of whittling/ sanding until it fitted. The mating half does fit rather well but strategic fixing tabs will need to be fitted to aid cementing.

Cockpit still needs obvious things like an i/p, peddles, control column and seat/  harness. Also need to fit out the radiator intake and radiator tail exhaust.

Stuart

I have an Airframe Mew Gull to build or blend with a Kiwi resin kit and I wondered what you did with that former - thanks for the demonstration.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

Blue tack or plasticine also work if you don’t have a profile gauge. I

Cheers Marlo, thanks for the tip.

2 hours ago, rossm said:

I wondered what you did with that former

Nothing much really. I reduced the height of the vertical walls so as to get adhesive surface without pushing the fuselage apart. I will then need to add plastic to the face of the former to give the other fuselage something to glue onto. HTH

Stuart

Cockpit- Take Two

Former.jpg

This 'ere pic show the central former that's supposed to run down the spine of the model, ok. The cut-out is the cockpit section and the Mk 1 cockpit was born and boxed in accordingly. Unfortunately, the raised section in the middle of the cockpit is in fact the seat, making my cockpit floor about 3.5mm too high. This was confirmed when I tried to place a scale seat/ pilot and found that the pilot's head was sticking outside :rage:

20201009-171014.jpg

Here is the Mk 2 cockpit, lowered by 3.5mm. Additional stringers and frames were added, and for added strength I added a firewall between the cockpit and engine. Thought it would be nice to give him a headrest too. Now I was happy, additional plastic was added around the perimeter to aid gluing. Made a seat, an i/p, rudder pedals, quadrants for the throttle and undercarriage up/down and control stick.

20201009-174344.jpg

Here's a view of the radiator exhaust with its odd arrangement. The shape is a little pants at the bottom but I'm hoping that I'll sort that when the halves are joined together.

I now encountered the same problem as @Moa had when he put the halves together and offered up the spinner...

20201009-174416.jpg

more trouble to deal with :rage::rage:. So, seeing that this is a virgin kit and not a started one as in Moa's case, either the spinner is too big or the fuselage is wrong, my money is on the fuselage, either way, it needs sorting.

Stuart

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Great work so far Stuart, lucky to find out about the cockpit floor before it was too late, mind you you could have said trumpeter designed it !!!

I am sure that this is going to be a stunner when complete fella  after the lovely Saro and Bugattis. 

Chris

44 minutes ago, Courageous said:

either the spinner is too big or the fuselage is wrong, my money is on the fuselage,

I'd tend to agree looking at the picture, although if you shortened the spinner at some point it would meet the diameter of the fuselage I guess. I guess there are no plans to check?

Champion work at any rate!

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

You are doing a fantastic job there. And you will surely solve the issues. Your work is meticulous and effective.

Thanks, much appreciated, I just hope I can live up to such praise.

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

I am sure that this is going to be a stunner when complete fella

Cheers Chris, early days yet but having fun along with a little frustration.

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

Looking very nice, good work. I'm sure you will find a solution to the nose as well.

Thanks Jörgen, I could copy Moa's solution...

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Champion work at any rate!

Cheers Terry. I have taken a look at your suggestion, 'shortened the spinner at some point it would meet the diameter of the fuselage' but this method would produce a 'chin' that doesn't exist. The drawings I have, show that the spinner is correct, so I reckon I will be using Moa's method to correct this issue.

Stuart

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

Cockpit- Take Two

Former.jpg

This 'ere pic show the central former that's supposed to run down the spine of the model, ok. The cut-out is the cockpit section and the Mk 1 cockpit was born and boxed in accordingly. Unfortunately, the raised section in the middle of the cockpit is in fact the seat, making my cockpit floor about 3.5mm too high. This was confirmed when I tried to place a scale seat/ pilot and found that the pilot's head was sticking outside :rage:

Stuart

That gives me an even better idea of what to do with the former in my Mew Gull than your first post about it 😁

• Like 1

Too many things grabbing my time...

20201014-221006.jpg

From left to right; seat with belts, rudder peddles, undercarriage hand-pump, throttle quadrant and control column.

20201014-221245.jpg

An i/p with a few dials and placards.

20201014-222804.jpg

Starboard side of cockpit with bits fitted.

20201014-222817.jpg

Ports side with throttle quadrant fitted.

20201014-223359.jpg

The start of gluing halves together.

Stuart

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Moa said:

Beautiful work, Stuart!

You are properly dressing that thing up!

Cheers matey. No room for a toilet, maybe a bucket...:rofl:. I would consider this the easy bit, the wings and their mating will be a bit more tricky.

Stuart

• Like 1