Heston Type 5 Racer...I must be barking!

Courageous

With the Bugatti racer now completed, time to look at the next one. For no particular reason other than it jumped into my hand, I'm going to try my hand at a 1/72 vacuform :pray:, a Heston Type 5 Racer.

46523454752-6f1e429e57-o.jpg

20200923-220505.jpg

Nice boxart.

20200923-220607.jpg

The plastic

20200923-220711.jpg

Can't go wrong with Arctic Decals

Our resident monk @Moa RFI: 

will hopefully point me in the right direction.

I have only ever done one vacuform but it was so long ago in 1/48, I can't remember any of it.

I'm sure it'll be fun.

Stuart

• Like 23

Hi Stuart

I went back to my thread, and noticed that neither spinner nor canopy were present in my kit.

I see you do have a spinner, but can't see a canopy. I have the master I made to Mattel-vac one, but run out of clear Mattel sheets.

If you think it may be useful, I can send that plug to you, but with the current mail shenanigans, cost of parcels, customs nuisances (and perhaps fees for you) and then having to send it back to me, not sure how practical that may be.

(if for some miracle you can send those Mattel clear sheets (not the awful substitutes sold online), then it may simplify things a bit.

Let me know.

Not sure how are you Re. references, but if you PM me I can send you what I have.

P/S: you lucky... I had to print my own decals! Mika's are far better!

• Like 2

Interesting; those vacform parts look to be quite ‘soft’ in that they seem to lack sharp definition, never mind detail.  The summary on @Moa‘s linked thread certainly seems fair from what I can see of the vacform sheets in your photo, Stuart. I think I would approach this as a kind of ‘assisted scratchbuild’, with a handy reference thread from the guru. Go for it!

Jon

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Moa said:

but can't see a canopy.

The spinner is there Moa, nice and safe but if any mishaps befall me, I know where to come, thanks. As for the reference, you have already sent that a while back, thanks again for that too.

6 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Looks like you have some work ahead of you to get the fair surface I see in the photo. 

Indeed and I may well have to enter the world of Alclad on this. That'll be a first, so the surfaces will have to be top notch :unsure:

24 minutes ago, Jonners said:

Interesting; those vacform parts look to be quite ‘soft’ in that they seem to lack sharp definition, never mind detail.

I agree Jon and I'll do my best to improve things.

Cheers guys for your early support.

Stuart

Well maybe later on but typical me I’ve found some Bugatti plans and in 1/32 it’s a manageable 242mm by 258mm, if I can find them I might even be able to carve the wing blanks out of the Caproni set. Will finish some more wip before I embark.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Napier racer do a 3D printed kit

That would be nice to see, Ice Man in the Maritime is doing 3D printed tanker, and that's impressive.

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

racer todo list.

We all have them. Would be nice to see your Bugatti AFTER your current WIP's.

Stuart

• Like 1

Nerve racking stuff!

20200925-151559-1.jpg

Fuselage halves marked and cut out. The wall thickness in some areas, mainly the front, is quite thin and I'm not confident that I can apply enough pressure during the sanding process without doing some damage...

20200925-151731-1.jpg

Canopy section needs to be removed :worry:

20200925-151654-1.jpg

The rear fuselage doesn't taper like 'normal' prop jobs, oh no, this is a cooling outlet and another area to be removed. 

20200925-151724-1.jpg

Adding insult to injury, this also needs to be removed as this is the radiator inlet. Fun and games here.

Stuart

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Will be interested in seeing you ssnd this down

Indeed it will and I'm not looking forward to it one bit. The amount to be sanded varies between 0.2-0.6 mm.

20200925-171103-1.jpg

Wings done, sort of. If I remove the wheel wells, it's all going to become very flexible, leave it there are try and sand it away :shrug:. Spinner out too, that looks simple enough to sand down.

Stuart

• Like 7

50382994972_b72a6273fa_c.jpg
The Bugatti scaled to 1/32 it’s not very much bigger than an A4?shery; will start a thread of my own as soon as I get my ebay order of Basswood :) you guys are such a bad influence :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

A Dramatic Build! Fascinating modeling genre!

Good and steady progress there. Step by step and an even keel (pun not intended) are the right approach.

The black marker used is a bit broad, that may be an issue when sanding up to the correct point, so extra care is needed.

But this is in very good hands. Nonetheless, we are biting our nails at the edge of the seat.

Onwards!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

What about a Gee Bee R 1 ??

CC

John Tarvin (Airframe) also had a Gee Bee kit.

Posted here at BM:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235053027-the-other-vac-gee-bee-r1-racer-airframe-172/

The photos uploaded there are linked to an old image storage site to which I do not belong anymore. So the images blink a lot when you get to the post, but eventually, after some time, upload (at least I can see them).

I have the vague recollection that I may have another, unbuilt.

So Stuart, if the Heston-Napier build happens to warm the cockles of your heart, and you still have an appetite for it, and I still do have it, I could send it to you, gratis.

49 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

What about a Gee Bee R 1 ??

A Model does a kitin 1/72, might have one in the stash...

42 minutes ago, Moa said:

The black marker used is a bit broad,

You're right but it's all I had at the time. Went shopping for supplies and a fine tipped Sharpie has appeared for the smaller stuff. @Moa, as you've built this same vac, did you remove the wheel well before sanding and if so how do you support such a weak structure during sanding? As for 'very good hands', thanks for the vote of confidence, we'll see.

Stuart 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Courageous said:

@Moaas you've built this same vac, did you remove the wheel well before sanding and if so how do you support such a weak structure during sanding? As for 'very good hands', thanks for the vote of confidence, we'll see.

Stuart 

I think I removed the wheel well after sanding*, for what I see in the in-process photos:

https://wingsofintent.blogspot.com/2014/05/airframe-172-vacuum-formed-heston-napier.html

Airframe kits are so flimsy, the plastic so thin, that is not easy to "flat-sand" pressing on the part as you would do with sturdier vac kits.

Hence the importance of a fine marker line to see where the limit of the sanding is.

*As stated in the WiP, I was gifted this kit with the parts already detached, some already over-sanded.

I did some additional flat-sanding on smaller parts, but the larger parts I believe in these Airframe kits (of which I built several) I worked with sanding sticks and "T" sander, paying attention to obtain a straight edge.

Makes sense?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1