1/35 M50A1 Ontos USMC

Creepy Pete

I've been reading Mark Bowden's book Hue 1968 recently, and one of the things the USMC brought into Hue to turn it into a big pile of rubble, was the M50 Ontos. This was a US Army hand-me-down small tracked vehicle with 6 recoilles rifles mounted on top of it. These proved quite usuable in blasting holes in walls, allowing infantry to go through buildings and walls, rather than use the streets where they an easy target for snipers.

I'm using the Academy kit, which was first released about 10 years ago, so it's quite a decent modern kit. It comes with some PE for things like fender braces, light covers and perforated exhaust covers. The tracks are the rubber band type, which is actually much like the real thing. I haven't build any armor in years, so stuff like weathering will be a nice challenge.

I've completed the lower hull:

s03j6nC.jpg

And added many parts to the upper hull:

llPMlL6.jpg

Next up will be the turret with the rifles.

• Like 3

welcome along Pete with a great choice!!!!  :thumbsup:

As Craig mentioned these things do show up in quite a few newsreels......ot to sure why.

Will be interested to see how this one builds up, the detail on the hull looks nice.

Well good luck with a interesting build than will intrigue many.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to working on this one, now that the RT-33 is on hold for a bit.

I've added the PE bits around the exhaust. First time I tried rolled up PE on a kit, and I guess it turned out decent.

MrJtYvI.jpg

Then I sprayed the whole thing with Alclad primer. The black primer is some leftover from the RT-33, and the grey was done today.

ZY5ibTL.jpg

Next up, the olive drab.

• Like 4

A small update. I have sprayed the whole thing with MRP's olive drab, and then gave it a Tamiya clear coat. I used some of that Tamiya panelline accent stuff, but more weathering is needed. I'm not really an experienced armor modeler, so there is a learning curve, but it is a fun experience so far. Also, I have to figure out how to paint the tracks, fun fun fun.

dFuVQUI.jpg

• Like 2

Ooh, shiny!!

Should make a great base for the decals.

For painting tracks I start with black then move on to a gun metal colour and then dry brush with a lighter steel colour before adding some dirt and grime, mind you I am only an armour novice too so I am sure someone more knowledgeable will have a better way of doing it.

very shiny and very nice!

Craig's method for the tracks is the way to go.

Dirt and grim is the best part of the build!!!  :D I've only started playing with it a few models ago, it's lots of fun and very messy. Pigments mixed with enamel paints works very well, or just wet down the pigment with a little enamel thinners (use the opposite of the paint type the top coat is) to make a paste then splodge it on. you can build it up by adding more dry pigment while it's wet. Go too heavy, just let it dry and dust it off, or again use a wee bit of thinners on a cotton bud to remove unwanted.

It's just takes some practice , but the results are amazing and it fun.

Below is my first real attempt using pigments.

IMG_2009-XL.jpg

IMG_2014-XL.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Calling this one done. I've used some Mig dry light soil mud stuff and "airfield dirt" (who knew airfields get so dirty) pigments on it. I think it looks decent for an urban environment like Hue or something. I'm quite pleased with it, considering it's my first armor kit in ages, and the first one I attempted to weather.

ML1cLX2.jpg

More pics in the gallery.

• Like 5

absolutely awesome!!!!!  :thumbsup:

You nailed it with the "mud" finish, looks just right, the difference between the un-weathered and weathered is amazing, it really show up the difference. From a model to something that looks really realistic. For a first attempt top marks!

I hope you enjoyed this build and it's opened the way for more AFV's and great to see you've learnt a new skill. Again well done on an awesome looking model. :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

Thanks! Yeah, it does inspire me to build some more armor in the future. A guy at work used to be a Leopard 1 driver in the army when he was young, and I'd like to build one for him for when he retires, so I need some practice.

Funnily enough I have proposed a Leopard STGB.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1