Boeing Sabre

Paul J

Hello. Another shelf of doom that was brought in to being again for completion. Just finished it yesterday, the last sunny warm day of the season.  Heller kit but from an Airfix boxing of it as a Canadair CL-13B Sabre N8686F ( ex RCAF)operated by Boeing. ( The actual real airframe is preserved in the Museum at Seattle ( I think) in its former RCAF finish but with the attachments to the gun panels still in place).

As for the build, I bought this  cheap with the main canopy missing that was easily sorted as I had a spare complete one that once belonged to the 1/72nd Hasegawa kit from at least the early 1970s!  It just needed a little packing around the sides of the windshield base to close the small gaps otherwise a  perfect fit.  Usual appliance white aerosol applied for the overall main colour.  All decals from JBOT Decals.  I also added from scrap pieces of plastic card, what appear to be either camera ports or something to the gun cover panels. Obviously something to do with the job it did as a chase plane for Boeing.   There should  also be  a boom on port wing tip that I have yet to add when I find something suitable.

Ua8K9Y.jpg

cKVeI5.jpg

QFb6Ru.jpg

Note the 'sugar scoops' near the wing root trailing edges and fuselage underside
52e8eN.jpg

UIz3u6.jpg

xABPpG.jpg

bEEEpJ.jpg

5JwQGw.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Moa said:

Blast me! A CIVIL Sabre!

Truly delicious!!

Excellent choice and excellent job!

Cheers

Thought you might like it .;)

I have a few more civil types in the pipeline.....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Britman said:

Very nice indeed. Is this the same aircraft that I believe was painted yellow in the 1960's ?

Yes. With different coloured stripes.  The option was available on the same JBOT decal set. I parted mine to Julien here.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Britman said:

Very nice indeed. Is this the same aircraft that I believe was painted yellow in the 1960's ?

Not the same aircraft. Same registration, but different colours. I think Boeing had three Sabre chase planes, all registered N8686F.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Not the same aircraft. Same registration, but different colours. I think Boeing had three Sabre chase planes, all registered N8686F.

That will lead to a lot of confusion.🥴 Typical.  And why use the same reg 3 times.... dur?