Longbow's Adventures in Plastic. The drifted Thread...

Longbow

Okay. Scratch that. 

The 445 with the creeping Panther is definitely GD at Kursk. 

The 445 with black numbers, white outline, is 51 Abt at Kursk. 

Both vehicles should be green and brown over yellow, and are, judging the tonal difference in the pix. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

This may help you out.... 

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=215624

The tip vehicle is possibly Grossdeutchland. The lower two photos are definitely 51 Abt at Kursk. 

Top one is dunked Gelb with faded green and brown over spray. 

The false assumption I'd made was initially guessing it was the same vehicle,  Mea culpa.

The bottom two, of 51 Abt, is the one supplied by Dragon, again no wiser on colour but as most other are of the three tone variety I'm guessing this would be the same.

What identified the first as being Grossdeutchland?

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Darryl what colour are the numbers on the turret ....if there red outlined in white(first pic) then i would say the camo is rotbraun  but it is a very light misting so being that the front of the vehicle is were the crew would enter and exit the tank i would say that the build up of dust and dirt would fade what little colour is there....and the tools look natural to me (blade of the shovel)

Being honest I don't know, I'd guessed black with white outline, however I'd be happy to take a punt at red, with a light misting of camo... hang 100% authenticity if it looks good!

The shovel blade looks bare metal but the C - hook looks to have an overspray of camo. From something I was watching today on the YouTube (is that what the youth of today calls it?) It suggested the tools where fitted at the factory prior to being camouflaged.

Thanks chaps for the input and assistance!

• Like 1

There was more...

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Okay. Scratch that. 

The 445 with the creeping Panther is definitely GD at Kursk. 

The 445 with black numbers, white outline, is 51 Abt at Kursk. 

Both vehicles should be green and brown over yellow, and are, judging the tonal difference in the pix. 

51 Abt is the unit supplied but I could be tempted by another..

Thanks again

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Oh my... This thing has more wheels than a Panther. 

Are you sure....

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

OOOHHHER missus.......looking good bud....looking good :thumbsup:

And you can pack that in!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

More brilliant builds from you. Great work on the DD, looking forward seeing more progress.

For the second HVSS Sherman you’re planning, I did the same turret on one of my builds, using the Tamiya hull and dragon turret with the split loaders hatch, modified to represent the ‘second batch’ intermediate turret.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigfoot said:

More brilliant builds from you. Great work on the DD, looking forward seeing more progress.

For the second HVSS Sherman you’re planning, I did the same turret on one of my builds, using the Tamiya hull and dragon turret with the split loaders hatch, modified to represent the ‘second batch’ intermediate turret.

What a Fantastic build, and Wonderful first photo to work from !!

That you for pointing out the thread..... Can you please tag me with updates !!

Lee. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

There was more...

51 Abt is the unit supplied but I could be tempted by another..

Thanks again

Are you sure....

And you can pack that in!

The GD markings come in the Tamiya kit. 

I think whichever unit you build it will be awesome !! I’ve always loved the look of the Kursk Panthers. 

• Thanks 1

Hey, Steve, in your research on the "Orphan", you wouldn't happen to have come across any information on this one, in Cologne, would you ?

spacer.png

I'm pretty sure this is the same vehicle, from the front, due to the added side skirts.... And the fact that the serial number matches :D

So I have both front and back view.

spacer.png

Edited by Longbow
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Hey, Steve, in your research on the "Orphan", you wouldn't happen to have come across any information on this one, in Cologne, would you ?

I did indeed ....this one isn't an Orphan though but i did consider this one as it had some interesting mods done like the extended side skirts much like an HVSS ...It is however the same company as orphan...beautiful pics aren't they :coolio:

It has the second batch turret and as you can see the thread is present for the muzzle brake...it has the later horn instead of a siren...and still has the fittings for the drivers shield in place......the casting marks are visible on the side of the turret the small no-2 indicates second batch T23 turret and i did note down the turret id number but i can't find it at the moment. It also has the exhaust fume diffuser fitted and the raised 50cal stowage mounts and the turret ventilator can be seen.And not obvious but all the Shermans in this company were painted in olive no9 and black...also of interest is the way the crew have threaded the rope around the turret to hang kit and stowage...the pic was probably taken on Venloerstraße in Cologne on March 6, 1945

Edited by M3talpig
  • Thanks 1

Moving back from the Sherman there's the Pershing behind it...make a nice break from Shermans.

Just for a bit of wow factor add to the mix the Cologne Panther and a 1/35 model of the Cologne Cathedral....

.:idea:

Go on chaps you know you want to...:wicked:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Moving back from the Sherman there's the Pershing behind it...make a nice break from Shermans.

Just for a bit of wow factor add to the mix the Cologne Panther and a 1/35 model of the Cologne Cathedral....

.:idea:

Go on chaps you know you want to...:wicked:

I got this for you too, Darryl.... You may have seen it though :D

https://mikesresearch.com/2019/10/27/panthers-at-kursk-1943/

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Longbow said:

I got this for you too, Darryl.... You may have seen it though :D

https://mikesresearch.com/2019/10/27/panthers-at-kursk-1943/

Came across this yesterday, thanks all the same. 👍

Good site isn't it.

I have to do a creeping Panther on a Panther.

Cheers 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Came across this yesterday, thanks all the same. 👍

Good site isn't it.

I have to do a creeping Panther on a Panther.

Cheers 

That is probably my favorite Panther markings. The camo on those is so nice too, with the faded green and brown.