Longbow's Adventures in Plastic. The drifted Thread...

Longbow

Hi Guys.... Hope everyone id doing well and not causing too much mischief.

I had So much fun with the M10, that I figured I'd step into the "Green" a little. 

I suddenly found myself with more than one project going, and a number of Shermans on the go, or on the way, dependent upon which way you look at things.

An Easy 8 was started last night, after completion of the Stug III G. The kit is the regular Tamiya rendition of a European theater vehicle, and looks like Fury, but will not be finished as the film star ;)

A Duplex Drive Sherman, which i see as being a long-term build, has actually been started after a plethora of research material was dug up. 

On the way is also the Tamiya M1 Super Sherman, which will be built as a M4 A1 76 (W) US vehicle, late in the war. 

To go with the 76, and also on the way, are a box of the Mini Art ETO US tanker figures, which will all receive new Alpine heads and conversions to the poses and arm. And yes, one day I will have a figure marathon, to get these guys complete. 

Also here is the Asuka Sherman Firefly, with the Mini Art Commonwealth crew figures, and Hornet heads on the way....

So yes. I's say I have a lot to do lol

So, here are the E8 phot's, so far.... Not really much to say about this kit, except the little biddy bites are real fiddly, and I can't see worth a crap without borrowing @Jasper dog 's "Readers" ;)

I added wire handles fro the molded on stubs.

spacer.png

I only got through one side of these little bits.... They are a pain in the butt !!

spacer.png

New texture to the front cast bits, from Tamiya filler thinned with extra thin cement. 

spacer.png

The turret has that huge seam at the rear, which was taken down, slowly, and retextured. No pic of that though, as I'm posting from work.....

spacer.png

Edited by Longbow
Thread drift.
  • Like 6

And then there is this little beast.... Which is receiving some "Artistic License", from the photo I'm using.

I've always loved this pic, of the Sherman DD on the glider landing zone.

The vehicle just looks Totally D-Day/Normandy/Hedgerows, etc, etc, etc....

spacer.png

BUT !! I din't want to do it as Sherman V, which it is.... And found out that one of the units around the Caanes fighting used the cast hull Large Hatch DD vehicles. 

spacer.png

And from that germ of an Idea.... A project was formed, which after much research has made a start.

I'm not doing a build thread for this, as it will be on again, off again, but over the last few weeks, after research, a start was made. 

And this is where this one stands, right now.... Waiting for more photos, and drawings, of the pole braces for the decking.

Everything not Sherman will be Scratch-built/Converted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

Absolutely following this ....i have a growing love for all things Sherman ....... so far looking really good and i have said it before i'll say it again "do love a bit of scratch work"  This is my last Sherman and i can't wait to see how your project comes together Lee........ for the inspiration. :thumbsup:

spacer.png

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Turret joint fixed, sort of. 

You might want to add that back mate as that turret seam is very visible on the T23 turret the kit doesn't do a good job of it but on the real turret its were the two halves of the huge sand molds join to produce the turret.....

• Like 2

Just now, M3talpig said:

You might want to add that back mate as that turret seam is very visible on the T23 turret the kit doesn't do a good job of it but on the real turret its were the two halves of the huge sand molds join to produce the turret.....

I need a good photo of the joint...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Longbow said:

I have an idea for those ;)

On my one i used humbrol filler thinned with humbrol thinner and brushed it on like paint once dry i scraped it away roughly with the edge of a scalpel blade leaving a angle grinder like finish on it

Infact i retextured the whole turret

spacer.png

Edited by M3talpig
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

Accepting that upper and lower hulls may just be dry-fitted in pictures above, watch your nose bolt strip joins.  The bolt strip was actually cast integrally with the nose so there should be no visible join along the front edge

It will need filling. It’s a problem that the kit has, as the parts are molded. 
A little Milliput should take care of the issue. 

• Like 1

I guess you've seen this photo on the Sherman Minutia site?  It's about the clearest view of the skirt structure on an M4A1 DD, although the rigid stays are hard to make out.  They were of the same type as those on the M4A4 DD AFAIK, but may have had slightly different dimensions to fit the hull shape.

spacer.png

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

On my one i used humbrol filler thinned with humbrol thinner and brushed it on like paint once dry i scraped it away roughly with the edge of a scalpel blade leaving a angle grinder like finish on it

I’ll probably use some superglued styrene and contour it with the Dremel tool :D

22 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Infact i retextured the whole turret

spacer.png

Is that the Tamiya one ?

• Like 2

You have to be taking the proverbial "p".

Too much just too much, you're a frickin machine....

The E8 is a great kit as we know but the scratch for the DD!

Think I'm taking up crochet instead....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

You have to be taking the proverbial "p".

Too much just too much, you're a frickin machine....

The E8 is a great kit as we know but the scratch for the DD!

Think I'm taking up crochet instead....

It’s not a rivet count, Bud.... It’s just to serve my purposes.  

• Like 1