In for a bumpy landing - Curtiss Tomahawk - Quick Build

1/48 Airfix Cutriss Tomahawk speed build project. During lockdown I started several kits recently and finished a grand total of ZERO. So I tried to get this one knocked out quick just to try out a few things and also to feel some form of achievement in completing someing for once. Excuse the canopy detail was sacrificed for time and i ran out of decent masking tape so its a bit naff.

Pilot has had damage during a dogffight and has limped back home and is in for a bumpy landing on one wheel.

I'd imagine its approx 18-20 hours build time maybe? 3 evenings with drying time basically, corners were cut and decals missed and the carpet monster had its fill.

Curtiss Tomahawk, Bumpy Landing Curtiss Tomahawk, Bumpy Landing Curtiss Tomahawk, Bumpy Landing Curtiss Tomahawk, Bumpy Landing Curtiss Tomahawk, Bumpy Landing Curtiss Tomahawk, Bumpy Landing

Edited by Red Five
  • Like 47
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Or my mistake and it's brilliant camouflage ...

For some reason i have to post the topic, then re edit it to post the pics in? Its weird but meh. Also thanks

4 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

I like that. Very inspirational! 
thank for sharing 

Andy 

Thanks Andy, Lovley Airfix kit too BTW highly recomend it for £20. Got a Blenhiem to build sometime too. Helping me with the epic-ness of a Tamiya 1/32 F-14 that im ploughing through atm.

• Thanks 1

Another beauty from you Red Five! Excellent work. 

I can only dream of these, as you call them, speed builds, haha. With me it all takes forever, plus I don't dare starting multiple builds. Maybe I should give it a shot and not worry about the time taken, and just enjoy the process however long it takes. 

Again, well done man! 

Best, 

Nikola

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Red Five said:

Thanks Andy, Lovley Airfix kit too BTW highly recomend it for £20. Got a Blenhiem to build sometime too. Helping me with the epic-ness of a Tamiya 1/32 F-14 that im ploughing through atm.

Thank you very much. I wish you good luck for your next projects. Let me ask you one question please. How did you arrange this  wonderful setting with the black background. It looks like absolute professional photography and I know it is not easy to get so amazing results.

Cheers

Andy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy Dyck said:

Thank you very much. I wish you good luck for your next projects. Let me ask you one question please. How did you arrange this  wonderful setting with the black background. It looks like absolute professional photography and I know it is not easy to get so amazing results.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy, I use a light box. Basically a pop up white tent with black background and two lights either side. Then I just adjust it in a editing software. Take care not to adjust the model just the background

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mahavelona said:

Great build! How did you weather it?

Painted on the panel weathering. Then usual panel lines. Then used weathering pencils and tamiya soot. 

Quick build? Just finished my last build and it took me something like 2 months to finish.... and your quick build looks this good?!?! Tomahawk is one on my build list soon, hope mine looks like this ... and it will take me  a hell of a lot longer!  

• Thanks 1

Such a lovely presentation of the model - I really like it.  I'm glad that the pilot has managed to bring it home, and hopefully he'll walk away from the landing without getting rattled around too much.

• Thanks 1

On 27/09/2020 at 15:32, jackroadkill said:

Such a lovely presentation of the model - I really like it.  I'm glad that the pilot has managed to bring it home, and hopefully he'll walk away from the landing without getting rattled around too much.

Thanks. I was keeping the plinth for a bust but wanted a base that wouldn't take a) the focus from the plane b) would take time as I was trying to be quick. Turned out better than I expected. 

• Like 1