Gulf War GR1 Revell 1/72

almac

Hi all. I intend to build a Gulf war Tornado for this GB. I won’t be starting for a few weeks or until I finish my Seaknight for the Helicopter GB. I planned to build this about ten years ago and bought decals and the desert pink paint at the time but as with most grand plans it came to nought. Anyway I intend to build  “Nikki” ZA481/N from modeldecal set 109. These decals are now rather old so we’ll see how they perform. For the paint I have Xtracrylic Desert pink which I bought when I was using Xtracrylic at the time. They can be problematic but I’ll give it a go rather than buy some new paint. Anyway here’s the standard box pic and a pic of the decals.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 3

Oh, looking forward of another Granby Tornado! 

Which company are the decals from? I have both some kits world and model alliance sheets, equally old like yours so I have the same thoughts about their usefullness 😉

Greetings!

Edited by 128fiddler

• 1 month later...

Evening all. It’s been a month since I last posted on this. I started building this last week after I had finished my Seaknight for the Helicopter GB. The cockpit has been given a coat of grey and I’m painting seats and instrument panels. I’m not using the the decals for the instrument panels. 
spacer.png

The rear fuselage is almost complete. I’ve glued the wings in the forward position as I was not overly keen on the moving wing option. I’m thinking of leaving off the tailplanes till after the two halves of the fuselage are together as I think it will be difficult to clean up the seams with them attached. I’m also not keen on the moving option.

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 5

You're off to a good solid start Allan and I agree with your decision to fix the flying surfaces in place: the toy-like feature of having them movable only creates issues for construction and clean-up later.

• Like 1

Some more progress with this one tonight. Finished painting the cockpit. Pretty rough but it’s the best I could do so definitely a closed canopy job. Tomorrow I should get the main fuselage together. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 3

Evening all. Two parts of the fuselage together tonight. Not too bad a fit but some work to do.

spacer.png

Started on the intakes as well and I’m a bit confused as to where the kind of curved piece is supposed to go. The instructions are a bit vague so can anyone enlighten me?

spacer.png

Cheers Allan

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 128fiddler said:

Actually, there's a line in the bottom of the intake which could line up with the mystic part, but I've never seen such thing in a tornado intake...

I can help with this!  Like you, I found the Revell instructions next to useless in this regard, and ended up putting them where I thought they should go (and got it horribly wrong).  Was reading this thread earlier:

If you scroll down to the bottom post (its bottom at the moment, anyway!) there's a head on picture of the intake showing that odd bit.. 

Al.

• Like 1

Evening all. Most of the main parts are on now without too much trouble apart from one of the intakes. They were a very tight fit and I used too much pressure in getting them on and as a result part of the underside cracked and will need some fixing.

spacer.png

Here’s how it looks just now. Not to bad I think but some work still to do.

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 6

Evening all. Inching forward with this build. I’ve not had much time this week for modelling as I’ve been decorating, such a waste of a week off work. Anyway tonight I worked on the canopy. The clear parts of this kit are, for me, a real let- down. They have loads of of flash and seem really brittle to work with.  The canopy lines are a bit vague as well but I think I managed the masking ok. 

spacer.png

Cheers Allan

• Like 6

11 hours ago, almac said:

Evening all. Inching forward with this build. I’ve not had much time this week for modelling as I’ve been decorating, such a waste of a week off work. Anyway tonight I worked on the canopy. The clear parts of this kit are, for me, a real let- down. They have loads of of flash and seem really brittle to work with.  The canopy lines are a bit vague as well but I think I managed the masking ok. 

spacer.png

Cheers Allan

Looks good - am about to go through that horror - the HUD was just a mess of flash .... I’ve also found that now temps are dropping in the UK the Kristal Klear glue needs to be in a reasonably warm place to set in a decent time... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alhenderson said:

You're right about the transparencies, I could barely work out where the sprue ended and the HUD began! Not sure I'm going to be able to do much with the various little lights..

Indeed it looks like 1950s vintage transparencies... Im not sure wether to make a new hud with overhead projector transparent sheet and their respective black markers...

Edited by 128fiddler
  • Like 3

Hi all. Small update tonight. Refuelling probe fitted in a fashion as I struggled to get a decent fit. Some filling and sanding required but it ok I think. I also fitted a part with a clear front under the front of the fuselage,I have no idea what it is, which was a terrible fit. Specifically the clear part was the poor fit. It’s on and needed smoothed in with Perfect plastic putty but I don’t think it will look great.  As I and others have said the clear parts are truly awful and really let the kit down. I have another in the stash but I doubt I’ll ever build given my experience so far with this kit. Anyway here’s some pics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan

• Like 4