Maserati 3500 GTI Monogram 1:25

johnlambert

A few more bits completed here and there.

y4m_h8BV5LTraXvhK49OczeTExT9BHBKe2esI8af

The painted body, it's a bit rough around the grille but not looking too bad.  Next job will be to paint the grille itself, then do the chrome trim.

y4mQnlrHWKn_yHqTS_kHJ0WRl3dq1tl0y3n8RbkT

Door cards sprayed with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer.  These will need silver, metallic blue and hull red paint for the kick-plates, door top and leather trim.  Then some details in chrome and gloss black.

y4mhiPNI5DNHct5TPh476Te5wZ0s_NEQCo_PzYsT

Ribbon painted hull red for the seat belts, masking tape painted Tamiya Nato black for the floor mats, along with the pedal rubbers.

y4m4QWMHwoqRmur6CzylmvdUZKNe8Rl_snr3ng79

Dashboard and steering column.  The glue I tried last night didn't take, so I stripped the paint and used solvent to stick the grab handle to the dashboard.  Some details have been picked out with chrome pen.  I'm not sure what to do about the dials; the car I'm mostly copying had body-colour dial faces with white markings.  The kit didn't come with any decals; I'm not sure whether to try and get some generic black dials, or just add a blob of PVA/Glue and Glaze to represent the glass over the dials and ignore the lack of markings.  I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has a more creative solution?

• Like 5

Thanks for the encouragement, here are a few little bits of progress.

y4mD0r0JnpXcNBxxM7DXse3_aX6tHz9enKpifTne

The interior now has some dark grey painted masking tape for the floor mats and the pedals are attached to the firewall.  The accelerator pedal ought really to be hinged from the floor but I don't think it will notice too much when the car is assembled.  I'm not quite sure how to do the seat belts, I think I'll need to paint a bit more ribbon as I don't have quite enough.  I might try and drape the ribbon over something that's a similar shape to the seats, so that it holds its shape when the paint dries.

y4mdbb9dhIEHYIo9S7ymqYiit98Rav3KEM7xVxW6

Some random engine bay bits.  The radiator core is painted a mix of steel and aluminium paint (I accidentally mixed the two colours together but I'd rather use it than waste it.  I'm not sure what the silver object that attaches to the inner wing is supposed to be, part of the heating system maybe?  Anyway the instructions say to paint it black but I've seen it in bare metal on actual cars, which I think is more interesting.  The grey object on the sprue is the master cylinder for the brakes and attaches to the two holes in the heater box.

• Like 2

I've been working on a few bits, like the door cards, but there isn't much to show at the moment.  So, to give myself a bit of a boost and to check that it is proceeding according to plan I did a couple of mock-ups.

y4mQqgLWmwdz9RVGn7P7Kca1l4MPXhXgSPFExD45

Proving to myself that it all seems to fit together and the colour scheme works.

y4mhTqB_cRcMqk0EG99qwQX6_h8avwppnYkSDtHS

Checking for colour matching on all the panels and no glaring fitment problems.

y4m6xjXy3Lmd7T3UDhvK-MvJlWRgq0ov7x5KEk8D

Looks OK from this side too.

• Like 13

10 hours ago, johnlambert said:

Looks OK from this side too.

Looking fine, John. And as said before, very nice colour combination.

• Thanks 1

I've been working on the Maserati's door cards.

y4m4YlXxf4bEN9NyMkb567ttNRMkjQznXl0gRx8G

Here's a reminder of what we started with.

y4mQnlrHWKn_yHqTS_kHJ0WRl3dq1tl0y3n8RbkT

With added/moved detail and a coat of primer.

y4mErDMPO-N34BQj0FrOy_6oYx8ruJbDsNqHmiUg

Metallic paint, body colour at the top and silver at the bottom.

y4mrwF7utKw6oH2-u5wEl7S30DPcHQa6Fn_9XYeU

A couple of coats of Tamiya Hull Red spray, masking and some detail painting.

y4mdMZkj0lAaFx61hCjWdZi3c3XzzXhnJr4lp9pC

Masking off and the overall effect isn't too bad.  I can see lots of flaws but it's still loads better than the unmodified original panels would have been.

And in other news...

y4mzoqWlzSoVl029-es8QFTmnAE8_GV2KAHm7mRJ

Some generic instruments that should be better than nothing on the dashboard.

I've also found some Maserati decals that I hope will do for the bonnet, steering wheel and boot.  The same supplier had some other decals that I hope will do for some of the other kits in my stash.  The bad news is that they have to come from China so there may be a bit of a pause at some point is I have to wait for decals to arrive.

• Like 8

Just now, Fnick said:

Those door cards like very tidy John. Do you use an airbrush or spray cans?

Nick

For the door cards it was spray cans for all the large surfaces, the detail was done with brush for the gloss black and Molotow chrome pen applied with a cocktail stick.

I think most of this build has been rattle-canned but some parts, like the carpet and engine block were done with the airbrush.

Spray cans feel a bit lazy, but it makes life easy when there's a suitable colour.

• Like 1

Got to agree with everyone on the door cards, and particularly regarding that chrome trim - it's always very tricky with something as thin as that to get a consistent width, even with masking, so you should be happy with how that's turned out.

Thanks for the comments everyone, especially @Marco F. 

I'm trying to pluck up the courage to add some detail to the body. And I need to be in the right frame of mind to finish wiring up the spark plugs - why two per cylinder, Maserati, just why? ;) 

Oh and there are a few other under-bonnet details I'd like to add.  Maybe I should just seal up the bonnet and make it a kerbside model? 😅

I ordered some bits from Renaissance Models in France for this build and for the Revell Ferrari 275 GTB/4 I'll build at some point.

y4m6Qz8vfrA_8wUQTm83pCMar5fKbZHPC5y0MoWr

There are some column stalks, a Nardi steering wheel and a selection of gauges - the first lot appear slightly too large for the Maserati's dashboard, but there should be something suitable on here.  I also ordered some wheels for the Ferrari, which leads to a little diversion.

y4mOVtcnv-x7ep6LVxdiky448yuiWKwZALPmJ4Px

For comparison; the Ferrari wheel and tyre, the Renessance wheel and tyre (which comes with an etched centre piece to represent the Ferrari's alloy wheels), and the Maserati kit tyre. You can see that the Renessance tyres are a bit smaller than the Revell ones but that both are bigger than the tyres for the Maserati.

y4mXHKkwZMdvFvNHtcNQIqiH-dgMEYsleny6IPCa

I wondered about using the wheels from the Ferrari kit on the Maserati, but you can see there are clearance issues.

y4mlOscnfvAwvA-SBkLLr6RHhdojMwYHVhSe37xK

It would need the axle narrowing and major surgery to make this work.

y4mOrRSIvi0JZsf57NETqMfS8tkL63lG0Sq1CnsM

Unfortunately the Revell centres are too small for the Renessance tyres, otherwise that might have worked.

y4mfcpdo2qdBl3rHbEBFETqaDAhE0b2ngZSh-wju

This is the quick diversion - the Ferrari mocked up with the original wheels.

y4mMCUkTb2Wv7D09XeBRrc-Wq79-wCd8ILvFRAtG

And the replacements, which look a little under-nourished.  Fortunately you can stretch the Revell tyres over the Renessance wheels, which should give a satisfactory result, but that's a subject for another day and a build thread that's yet to start.

• Like 4

A few more photos of today's progress.

y4ma0OkPh7QPsrwcYOKxd7YeSi2odm1U2p-EXsJa

Adding the chrome window surrounds and door tread plates.

y4mLQpYloSqRmB9rZoFgd9Q6CZ7-ETO-gVKONjgO

Primer on the steering wheel rim, rear springs and back axle; also the body on the paint stand for safe keeping.  The steering wheel will be gloss black; the springs, steel; and the axle, satin black.

y4mOg89wEKfa9TyCFWvjGBDCTIFnwNJTCJxExPzq

Some instrument dials, the bezels are tiny so these were about the only ones that fitted; I think they are better than blank spaces.  I wish I'd removed the column stalk before applying the decals.

• Like 8

Time for a midweek update.

y4mWyyEP2YGct8GMtnNtD8BAtg5A0dsw_SmBMQN1

Chrome trim added to the Maserati's body.

y4mg-B5gm4HuVmwNpFLLnkHA8K68MdSUjR8fzVCG

Cruel close-up.

y4mttES1flsO2RiNrY_GdakJd0Hq1OEnuqfuWTTO

Front view.

y4mUxo3H_MjHS2yZgMJK3stEUfC-9XahXTLLxo62

Almost time to take the masking off the inside of the body.  It doesn't look too bad all painted blue...

y4miR1u5GvJLTIJiV5jhj70gyRQVWNHeKhZWewqw

The Humbrol liquid mask is pretty good stuff.

y4mIiKYJGbkUWtV3Gp0h2dqkAJwCZMaOxc2tgoxX

Maserati decals turned up, sadly even the smallest ones are too big.  No idea what I'll do with the Maybach decals.

y4mG_zDnRt8rbSE-NTWwb3rShdLfy6SmssZsUmt8

Maserati metal transfers from the same source.

y4mm2yEc3SNL0Us4an2jI6i6JXe0QNXaZCWXTYJD

Maserati script and trident badge applied to the boot lid; it should really be a slightly smaller typeface and read "Maserati 3500 GT I" but this seems better than nothing.

y4mXA8c1na37VgfWDUlbtBnRMBLeoo5UVF6K5NMj

The dials on the dashbaord needed some Microsol to sit down and I've decided the column swithc has to go.

y4mGeUbVi-oFunJJxAspbZvVpFEmmTOKmKyXKxJu

Close-up of the replacement switches.

y4mBHSrAXQBSgQ61TLyqjptl4b50-lzP7af9OqYZ

Aftermarket Nardi steering wheel and column stalk in place.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Which Ferrari kit is that?

It's the Revell Ferrari 275 GTB/4.  I didn't realise someone had made a kit of the 275 but I searched eBay for 1:24 Ferrari kits and there it was at a reasonable price; as it's one of my favourite Ferraris it would have been rude not to get it.

• Like 1