Maserati 3500 GTI Monogram 1:25

johnlambert

Almost a real-time update.

y4mfAbrdfw5vNJji6L1eEzLO_7FfK69wGWCw1EHV

Back suspension going together.  According to the instructions it should all be satin black, but I thought some metallic paint for the drive shaft and leaf springs would be a bit more interesting.  Fitting the rear dampers will be interesting.  I've also lost the radius/anti-tramp rod that should be there.  But I'm not going to worry about that, I don't think many people will notice.

• Like 7

That's one heck of a rear axle you've got there ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about feeling like progress is slow - it always goes quite slowly when you're doign the details and prep work but will soon move forward quickly as a result. The work here looks very good despite the issues with the exhausts - keep it up. And I like the idea of using magnets as clamps - might have to buy a few myself.

• Thanks 1

Yet more little bits.

y4mKeeIcNmJAjsRjcrCaxRBjMsDOns49VICdp8sa

Petrol tank and exhaust back box added.

y4mMpsDYCSh60VGL5Q4YijH18fO2y-fzvSe-Kn0Q

Test fitting the next bit of the exhaust.  The dampers will need to go on before this.

y4mX253b9a3APM1OHlm_SnkINTvHrzY443zDWZoY

Dampers fitted and I found the radius rod.  I've also touched in a few unpainted bits with satin black paint.

y4mdw2xyvIY6gMdk9Nx2A9d9-M0Cn-ehQgurdiFK

I've also made up these etched windscreen wipers to replace the moulded on ones that I sanded away.  The blade is picked out in Tamiya NATO black.

Thanks to everyone who has commented or liked any of my posts, its very encouraging.

• Like 6

Something I forgot to explain and couldn't photograph was the way I fitted the interior, body and chassis together.  As designed the idea is that the inner wing panels and bulkhead and interior attach to the chassis, which then mates to the body and is secured with the rear valance.  Doing that would make it difficult to get a good paint finish and invisible panel join.

The way I'd seen to get the various parts together was to sort of scissor-fold the chassis/interior into the body.  I was concerned that the pedals would get damaged by the floor as the floor panel sort of tucks under the pedals.  My solution was to loosely fit the inner wings and front bulkhead inside the body, then install the interior, and finally the chassis.  Thin polystyrene cement was applied at the panel joins to try and hold everything together.  Fingers crossed that it holds.

Today's jobs included painting up the final bits of the exhaust system, I thought I was missing a tail pipe but managed to identify the missing pipe as a piece that I'd carefully bagged up in case it was important.  I have managed to lose the fuel filler pipe that goes in the boot, maybe it will turn up?

y4md278RbfsK-H0tzudaK32al0xTFoYzRq_kQSR9

I also decided to add the lensed to the headlamps and the front indicators (which were painted with Molotow chrome on the reverse).

• Like 7

How about some shiny stuff?

y4m2Vy3zRZm1Tx1zkqH3ay8zUd6Xu4RXN-lsjvse

To my eyes the mould lines on the bumpers aren't too bad so I've left them in the factory chrome.  It's nice how Monogram put the attachment/moulding points on the inside face of the bumper.

y4mGZjmhHdzNQolLI2unE1ip210VB_izQSR0xiSs

For some reason I thought the side indicator repeaters were a clear part that I'd managed to lose, in fact they're on this bit of chrome sprue along with the rear fog lamp and spinners for the wheels.  I've added some Tamiya clear orange for the indicators, as that's what the car in my reference photos had, and clear red for the fog lamp that goes under the back bumper; I hope I can glue it securely...

Thanks for watching and happy new year.

• Like 3

A bit more progress.

y4m2pEKLAieHDMTyqPe3Iq6mktGNNHOLHPgOVBfF

Exhaust is so close to being completed.  The observant among you will have spotted that the front bumper is on too.

y4mlKdnpUGeiKHxGDO6UPI4pwTZ4-Cj4pdcYcso3

Tail pipes, as per my standard approach when these are moulded solid I've drilled out the ends.

y4mKYC3JKxvnZLsNKl8vZ7sSrv80WfRqy7DwnaaZ

Back bumper with fog lamp in place.

y4mpziJ-yPxrBAaUsnJE4wm5lEAwtAWEcmJdDos5

Glued in place, 

y4mInATYPLKHdKCBuw3VbXsH47MoaQGZEkXHtS2k

In the boot, the fuel filler neck should be on the right of the trunk space.

y4mZtin8MY66IugAMcvUQYRC2xX-mzSwKX-8xOoV

I couldn't find the correct kit part, so I improvised with some rubber tube painted black with a piece of garden wire inside to help it hold its shape.  Paint really doesn't want to stick to the tube but it won't be touched now it's in place.  I have seen some where the filler is wrapped in carpet but I'm not sure I could replicate that look.

y4mSYB1F2O1AOLh4EROMZXak4RnJhebzoCmOXS40

At the front the side indicators are in place.

The official way to attach the wheels involves several pieces of plastic and careful gluing so that the wheels can rotate.  I don't think I'll bother, the wheels might as well be glued to the axles.

• Like 9

Getting near the end now.

y4mdNWiLKH-wvG7Lm9A4hcMDO9Kx7tyATQJ4svJC

Slightly hard to see, but the triple-eared spinners are added to the wheels.  I thought it would be easier to add them before the wheels went on the car (I think this was the right decision).

y4mAxDVKTM6Q3b3Qi2DJc9wCf_lct-97SIXNAk3r

Wheels glued on (passenger side view)

y4m5wnEoRhi33Sfsux85QGCH2tPtK0vH40w5Mvj8

Wheels on, driver's side view.  I actually prefer the look without the door windows.

y4m_CwXQTsGDW7B22rL_x95_aW4P0D8Ulc45_eiu

Once the wheels were on securely I added the exhaust tail pipes.  Not actually as fiddly as I thought they would be.  Once again glued with thin polystyrene cement, there isn't much of a fixing lug so I hope it will hold strongly enough.  Worth noting that the tyre treads have been lightly sanded with a coarse sanding stick to take off some of the gloss.

It feels like an RFI thread is not too far away...

• Like 7

Looking very good now - all the work was well worth while.

Totally off-topic, but I couldn't help noticing a 'Models of Yesteryear' Mercedes lurking in the background of one of the shots - got a similar but more faded one of them in the display cabinet.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Looking very good now - all the work was well worth while.

Totally off-topic, but I couldn't help noticing a 'Models of Yesteryear' Mercedes lurking in the background of one of the shots - got a similar but more faded one of them in the display cabinet.

Thanks, that's actually a Models of Yesteryear SS Jaguar 100, but I have got the white Mercedes too (not sure where, but it's here somewhere).

Well, I'm about to call this finished.

y4mPPdgYY4y5A2Bm7bJRWEiDY8GjIKeTlyq13Shy

Door windows fitted again.  When I see the window frames off the car I think they look too heavy, but when they are in place they look quite delicate (as per the real thing).  I'm not a big fan of the rear quarterlights in the doors, but I bet the back seat passengers appreciate the ventilation on the real car.  It's a pity the door doesn't fit, I'm not sure why as it did when test fitting.

y4mEsMLi1w4ixwNsWXyMHdOS3efDLNWOd9Kt12uj

Etched windscreen wipers added, possibly a bit heavy and not quite right for the car, but better than the moulded on items.  I need to add a dab of paint for the bonnet badge.

y4mGnoa6yLwT56s3867zW7vCqQ1_X8Z5ZNNSLoSI

You get a "3500" vanity plate for the boot, the final job is to decide on some appropriate number plates for the car.  Suggestions are welcome.

Someone also suggested posing a 1:24 or 25 scale figure by the open driver's door.  If anyone can recommend a suitable figure (I'm thinking a well-dressed 1960s gent, a bit like Raf Valone from The Italian Job) that would be welcome too.

I'm not one for blowing my own trumpet, but I'm really pleased with how this build has turned out.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Still not quite there with this one.

y4m14hiVRTPz28Ou-mQJmB-gkQXtLUe7nZZis37D

One thing that bugged me was that the front bumper was angled downwards, so I removed it (thank goodness for PVA), tweaked the mounting brackets by filing a little off where they fouled the body and re-attached it.

y4mYqJUR-zvm6X3Ne071Ub5GlfMlKLGnLxkMrYhr

I also added a little paint on the Maserati badge on the front.  It's not perfect but it actually looks more effective than I could have hoped.

I'm just being vexed by number plates at the moment.  Once I make up some plates I think this will be ready for inspection.

• Like 7

You can tell the end is in sight when I start working on number plates.

y4mIjMlQRdfzddjN71PrWu2ySxbcRLZ-qcPB9RHJ

A bit of styrene sheet, primed and sprayed gloss black.  Individual letters are added after the basic shape was lightly scribed in the plastic.

y4mtfybfoeiJeBjXWtjjJ0WShDUuqMI3wzgfzWqo

The first time I attempted to make number plates I cut the plastic to size first, but it is much easier working on a larger surface.

y4mvS0lu2wKvVOch3Qc06x8y5Lccld3IR8l47Wyb

After that, the styrene sheet was cut down closer but not quite to the final size and sprayed with Halfords clear lacquer.  I actually had a failed earlier version of the plates, which was used to check that the decals wouldn't melt.  The plates were cut to size and I've painted the edges.  The next time you see them they should be on the car.

• Like 6

Hi John, 

Really a very nice build all around.  It is too bad about the door.  Looking at photos earlier in thread, I wondered if the "A" pillar might be a touch too wide toward the base, "pushing" the door outward, but, from from the photo above, it seems you have the door flush with wind screen.  Is it too late to remove the door and figure out what is keeping the door from sitting flush?   Ha - easy for me to wonder about while looking at photos on the computer, and not the kit sitting in front of me!  All in all, it seems to be a relatively modest problem, that might only be noticed by those of us that worry about things like that!  Others might see it as it is - a great build!

Cheers

Nick

• Thanks 1

Just now, Stickframe said:

Hi John, 

Really a very nice build all around.  It is too bad about the door.  Looking at photos earlier in thread, I wondered if the "A" pillar might be a touch too wide toward the base, "pushing" the door outward, but, from from the photo above, it seems you have the door flush with wind screen.  Is it too late to remove the door and figure out what is keeping the door from sitting flush?   Ha - easy for me to wonder about while looking at photos on the computer, and not the kit sitting in front of me!  All in all, it seems to be a relatively modest problem, that might only be noticed by those of us that worry about things like that!  Others might see it as it is - a great build!

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Nick,

The base is glued in place, so there's no non-destructive way to get back in.  The door was fitting perfectly, so I'm not sure what went wrong.  My feeling is that the risk of serious damage is too great to try putting it right.