Maserati 3500 GTI Monogram 1:25

johnlambert

Thanks for all the encouraging comments, I'm feeling quite pleased with how this one has gone so far and it doesn't feel like there's too much more to do to get it finished.  I've attached the bonnet and boot to the body with the supplied hinges (I'll take some pictures this evening).

I promised some more photos.

y4mUcJ-lqlHK-AVjS1f0FAdbU_xtCFrwTpUZSdHx

Bonnet and boot in place.

y4mxdq89vOM4IpTyDk2SHy_QKsmFYwHfEHfeE10A

Radiator grille in place, the mesh seems about as close as practical to the appearance of the real thing.  It should really be stamped metal but I couldn't find anything fine enough.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Real life has been getting in the way of the important business of modelling but I've not forgotten the Maserati.

y4mRz5Gxb6d6Kd40wFMeCdyrAcy9NbZldG3In65l

A few details added to the interior; rear view mirror is just as Monogram supplied, the courtesy lights have been given a bit of grey paint to simulate the lenses.  The sun visors are made from the clear plastic lid of a big yoghurt carton, painted a mix of Tamiya Smoke and Tamiya Clear Blue, the kit sun visors were used as templates to cut out the visors and they're glued in place.  The paint doesn't really want to stick to the plastic but they're glued in place and don't look too bad.  I'd have liked to fix one in the down position but couldn't work out how.

y4mOyoksGjUB5Z9lYL0TfPAog9MJ221UeTtU-n1h

Tail lights fixed in place, unmodified kit parts with paint to simulate the lenses.  I tried white for the reversing lamps, but it didn't look quite right, the grey isn't quite right either but is closer.

y4m3JH6IZC0ktcueo08_GToU0bj83ezDyfJSKwV8

Headlamp bezels, starting to give the Maserati its face.

• Like 6

A bit more work tonight; the vents in the front wings.

y4m_Ahtb4PAEyDjiu7lrwtG-x6rB1Ra5bnKZg0Kf

The kit part, is OK, or would be with a bit of a wash, but I only had one so using it was never an option.

y4mTqwa_rfd7Lnhxxm-nXHmDinvyQtHTN3YD-r_s

A slightly wobbly replacement made from wire mesh and fuse wire.  Not perfect, but reasonable from a distance (in the dark, with your eyes shut).

I've done one on the other side but my camera battery died before I could take a photo.

• Like 6

Hi John - you're being to critical - the replacement vent looks pretty good - especially as it has mesh and not the cast counterpart, which never look that much like an actual vent.  The color choice and headlamps look great together.

Cheers

Nick 

• Thanks 1

I'm feeling a bit nervous as it seems to be coming together, but there's still plenty to do.

y4mDZNKX3855alm4L6211VxLbkqQ5SQIqmX8iS6u

Doors, windows and dashboard fixed in place.

y4mzZENssUCq1NM2xA8M3NAMeqUfHuY9L3FnYeWw

Window frames are done with Molotow chrome and a little grey wash for the quarterlights.

y4m56VtdPqQMOEpk3Yy4eEAtQlYd2DLguNCOlulx

There isn't much to hold the dashboard in place, I might have to see if it can be reinforced.  I also hope the door hinges hold without the doors sticking.

• Like 5

I thought I'd do a quick dry assembly of the main parts to see how it's coming together.

y4mZX322EIWZPFTjydXOqTXqYA4XajWRuqguOYy5

OK, the side window fell off and needs re-gluing but it's not too bad.

y4m0sgDqqWtSk6VoQxfNu0sVMM9qOXoNa4iw-Yi5

That door fit is a bit annoying too.

y4mPpiY8PUQjK5t7AMO6ckKebzP0IRor8Kzd3S-G

It's not too bad.

• Like 8

More than not too bad, it's looking very good here. Worst case if you can't get the door to fit quite correctly you have two options - 1: Display it with the door open, or 2: Blame it on '60's Italian build quality.

• Haha 2

That last picture just cries out for a 1:24 scale figure of a driver just about to get into the car. I'd personally be tempted to display it with the door open. I've not seen many models with that option so why not take advantage of it?

Well my two pennies worth anyway...🙂

Nick

• Like 1

Time to push on with some of the little details on the build.

y4mqAJSbTEUlE0FeEa6IZ-IKIjozTk1TfPHwzIEK

This is an overview.

y4miL1sKJ-eex1Xe-AoMNyk2CqVEpt_vGXdDTPlg

Inner wing panel with brake master cylinder glued in place,  The white part (I think washer bottle) is a bit small, but it wasn't included in the kit, so it's a slightly reshaped bit of sprue, painted cream (white with a tiny drop of yellow).  You can't see but on the top of the aluminium box are two rectangles, which I assume are the VIN plates so they've been painted black.

y4mmezVEALmuKIm8bPkkJtVhpednKOzXfzI_oQt2

Engine with ignition leads more or less connected.  Next time I do something like this I'll put the tube in a vice and measure out the holes more evenly.  I might also try drilling out the ends of the plugs.  I bought some ignition coils, which are painted, the wire was to hold them whilst painting.

• Like 7

Enjoying watching this come together. Love the colour! The ignition wires look very fiddly, I’m all thumbs when you have a bit length to play with, but at that length I’d guess they must be tricky to get in place 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's getting there slowly.

y4mJg_wZeBl4qdXVrrGq3pRxLIksK7oxr9mZdUr_

Here are the kit wheels, I thought I took an "after" photo of the wheels alone once I'd applied a black wash.

y4m6KbYJIEU1AOF8nuN46tHJOs03QQY_9eep9Vdh

Apparently not, but they look a lot more convincing on the car now.

y4m1OwcGUZNBty8wkuGgexsOy2G53MAMMS-crT3O

Under the bonnet, the coils are fixed to the bulkhead.  I need to touch up a few bits of paint.  Maybe I'll have it finished before Christmas.

• Like 8

Agreed - it's surprising the difference that a wash makes to chrome parts like those.

It's always great to see kits like this being built, as they are so often overlooked simply due to them being old tooling.  I'm following your progress on this with great interest, as I have two - one an original Aurora one that is still sealed in its cellophane (not sure if I should open that though!!) and also a Monogram release that I bought later on and have since started but not got far on.  Mainly as I (still) cannot decide whether to build it as is, or correct the windscreen.

• Like 2

That is looking very classy John. And yes to echo the above comments the wash on the wheels had really improved them.

Engine upgrades look good too. I really need to pluck up the courage to start doing mods. If done well like yours they really enhance a model and make it more unique.

Nick

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Agreed - it's surprising the difference that a wash makes to chrome parts like those.

It's always great to see kits like this being built, as they are so often overlooked simply due to them being old tooling.  I'm following your progress on this with great interest, as I have two - one an original Aurora one that is still sealed in its cellophane (not sure if I should open that though!!) and also a Monogram release that I bought later on and have since started but not got far on.  Mainly as I (still) cannot decide whether to build it as is, or correct the windscreen.

I'm really glad I started on this kit, although a bit infuriating in places it's very satisfying seeing it come together and actually start to look the way I hoped it would turn out.  I've not corrected the windscreen as that was a bit scary, but I am glad I tweaked the grille shape. I've got my eye on an Aurora Aston Martin DB4, I wasn't sure but someone on here said it was a reasonable likeness to the real thing so I may take the plunge.

18 minutes ago, Fnick said:

That is looking very classy John. And yes to echo the above comments the wash on the wheels had really improved them.

Engine upgrades look good too. I really need to pluck up the courage to start doing mods. If done well like yours they really enhance a model and make it more unique.

Nick

One of the things I like about kit builds is that each one is unique, even if you go completely out of the box; which makes kit built models a lot more personal and interesting than pre-built models.  I've certainly noticed that I feel much more engaged in a project that has scope for adding details.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

I've got my eye on an Aurora Aston Martin DB4, I wasn't sure but someone on here said it was a reasonable likeness to the real thing so I may take the plunge.

The Aston & the Maser are the highlights of this ex Aurora series - it's the Jaguar E Type FHC and Ferrari 250GTO which need to be avoided. I think that there was a recent build thread on here for the DB4.

I must admit that I'm also looking for an Aston DB in this scale, but with the intention of making it into a Lagonda Rapide (I want to scratch build a Towns Lagonda too), so either the Aurora Monogram DB4, or the Doyusha / Airfix DB5 would do.  If there is one that you are bidding on, send me a PM & I won't bid against you, as you seem to get them built far quicker than I do!!

• Thanks 1

Hi John. 

Superb job and a really good read through! Loving the care and attention you're lavishing on this old beauty. 

I've been off in the outer reaches of the BM site, participating in the (enormous) Heller Classic Group Build. There's Lots of cars getting done in amongst the wierd and wonderful planes etc. 

So I've been missing out on much of the mainstream activity on here. 

This Maserati build is a great refresher and a pleasure to catch up on. 

A wash on the chrome wheels..... Magic!! 😎👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Maserati hasn't been forgotten and I've used some of the Christmas break to make a little progress, although it doesn't look like much.

y4mhIlT378UOv5-gjki55TRjRMmnOq4NfyQpBhWw

Before I can fasten the body and chassis together I need to sort out the front part of the exhaust.  As you can see the downpipes don't really line up with the manifolds.

y4mg4AMqQJu7Bv1XtfO4Wnvucm9Iqu3mYmwsR51H

Thankfully a cut in the horizontal (in this view) part of the exhaust should allow it to be repositioned.

y4mf_a--PE5D8l_QHEIYG8csMd5NofCgCL89A5Qf

My razor saw cut was a little too thick.  A little Blutac helped to get everything lined up.

y4mD0lbt5y6QGOW7XvSKR6bW4gc-dEoz9Mh88es7

Goopy white Milliput used to hold everything together, including a little dab on each downpipe as they didn't quite reach.

y4moI9j3CSxEOgKMW73mz6V2H_vgQkVhPCcqKsxv

Whilst waiting for the putty to dry I fitted the seatbelts (this front seat fell off, which actually made life a bit easier.  The stack of magnets worked as clamps to glue the belt down to the seat.

y4mnLiOG8orXYfmqEyoqbzkAnNns30daUUjboaGU

Interior with seat belts.

y4mKC8zW9uNRyS52ZXbOc8xrZ6-zKNHv6Pw2BZUy

Underside with the exhaust painted up.  Not the neatest job on the putty but it's not the most obvious detail.

y4mOqYacgGUqccrpIUUyUirKxO5SDl0t6rCpONv-

Scary moment, gluing the body and chassis together.  The clamp is actually a model railway servicing cradle, but turned out to be just right for applying gentle pressure.

Oh yes, and the other door window fell off!  Actually the whole door came off and I've had to re-glue the hinge.

• Like 6