Merlin Seafire Details

fishplanebeer

Dear All,

Does anyone know where I can find plans/diagrams showing the location of the forward catapult spools on the Mk II versions III. I've perused many photos without success and just know that apparently they were supposed to be located somewhere on the underside behind the nose but no idea exactly where or what they actually looked like.

Many thanks.

Colin.

IIRC there have been several discussions on this here on BM- you could look for Seafire 1b II III Catapult Spools. I think there were two on either side of the centerline on the lower fuselage even with the trailing edge of the coolant radiator fairings. You could also look for a walk around of the recently restored Seafire III. I have two drawings saved in my reference library that show the spool installation, but I don't know how to post them. Maybe one of our resident authorities could help you in that regard.

Mike

Dear All,

Many, many thanks, I now have all the answers I was looking for.

The excellent fuselage diagram in Shacklady shows all the various Merlin Seafire mods (page 539) along with pics on pages 525 and 529 which show the front spools in place (now I know where they went and what they looked like). The fuselage diagram also confirms the location of the forward and rear 'slinging points' for all the Merlin Seafires including confirmation that the rear one on the II and III was the rear spool spigot.

Thank you all again.

Colin.