Dewoitine 338, Broplan 1/72 (vacu), Free French, Africa

Hi

I should like to join the GB with a bit rare Dewoitine 338 passenger airplane (impressed to Free French Army)by Polish Broplan company. This is a vacu with some injected parts. I started it already in July, but did not achieved significant progress when I joined He 111 STB with four He 111 variants.... I think it is less then required 25% of advance, 

The parts were cut out from sheets, but not all sanded on edges yet, some work on fuselage was done like glued windows and painting of inside started but I am going to change colours on the base of some colour drawing. So this is current state of it:

50373261147_1d2fc0f363_o.jpg

I hope I can join :)

The inside of passenger looked like this

Photo-France-Air-France-DeWoitine-AirplaAIR-FRANCE-Dewoitine-Airplane-Cabin-Inte

Please note that on above photos they differ...

Since the machine was used for transport of high rank officers I think it could retain the pre-war luxury furniture

The colores of inside are not sure. 

In a paper-model of this machine  they are like that:

dewo_3385.jpg

Here are such suggestions (so green/yellow instead of red/brown)

EVFzkEtVAAArdRf.jpg

here again green-yellow

30033505535.jpg

Therefore I will change to green-yellow

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 11

Thank you gentlemen for good word for start... I am still building now also He 111z in STGB for He 111 I will have to share hobby time between them. 

Thus is particular scheme I want to do (from web site https://live.staticflickr.com/7049/6898270975_792fc23cff_z.jpg )

6898270975_792fc23cff_z.jpg

Looks like having still NMF or alu from bottom (originally they were all in NMF or alu) with some olive (green, khaki?) from top, the Lorrain crosses looks blue to me (with thin red outline) on, interesting are national colours not only on rudder but also on elevators and in strips below the registrations

In a comment to this scheme of Goeland

147_2.jpg

one can find 

"To evoke Allies airplanes as much as possible also in colours, they painted it with brownish-green colour reproducing the American shade Olive Drab on its upper and lateral surfaces. Analogously also the bottom surfaces with grey colour. Also some French variant of invasion strips appeared on this machine, although this airplane had not taken part in any disembarkation of course. "

So it seems that upper colour is not any pre-war French one bet the French imitation of Olive Drab or even directly - American OD... 

Any advises or suggestions  on this  scheme welcomed.  

Regards

J-W

• Like 7

The fuselage with some progress

50402821927_4abbf7ebd1_o.jpg

The main problem now is with keeping all surfaces smooth and aligned.  The armchairs I have to construct from scratch...

Regards

J-W

• Like 9

Fantastic choice Jerzy

Always a pleasure to see a vacform kit being built especially a Broplan one. 

Did the tail section come as a separate moulding, or have you sectioned the fuselage to carry out modifications to it ?

cheers Pat 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 7:57 AM, JWM said:

Thank you gentlemen for good word for start... I am still building now also He 111z in STGB for He 111 I will have to share hobby time between them. 

Thus is particular scheme I want to do (from web site https://live.staticflickr.com/7049/6898270975_792fc23cff_z.jpg )

6898270975_792fc23cff_z.jpg

Looks like having still NMF or alu from bottom (originally they were all in NMF or alu) with some olive (green, khaki?) from top, the Lorrain crosses looks blue to me (with thin red outline) on, interesting are national colours not only on rudder but also on elevators and in strips below the registrations

In a comment to this scheme of Goeland

147_2.jpg

one can find 

"To evoke Allies airplanes as much as possible also in colours, they painted it with brownish-green colour reproducing the American shade Olive Drab on its upper and lateral surfaces. Analogously also the bottom surfaces with grey colour. Also some French variant of invasion strips appeared on this machine, although this airplane had not taken part in any disembarkation of course. "

So it seems that upper colour is not any pre-war French one bet the French imitation of Olive Drab or even directly - American OD... 

Any advises or suggestions  on this  scheme welcomed.  

Regards

J-W

Very interesting project. As for colour I would go with either an Olive Drab top over Grey, or maybe that Dark Brown colour on top, I think it's called 'Terre de Sienne' (Burnt Sienna).

Davey.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Did the tail section come as a separate moulding, or have you sectioned the fuselage to carry out modifications to it ?

cheers Pat 

It is separate mould. One have to be careful with it - the step is deeper than thickness of plastic so I added some thin pieces to align surfaces of rear fuselage with main part. Here the sense of this split is I think just in reduction of form size. Machine is not small (~20 {edit 22} x29 m in original, bigger then Wellington) so maybe beyong normal capacity for size. Similar construction is with Broplan Savoia SM 75, but in that case there are variants with different tail, so such split is better motivated.

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
correction of mistake
  • Like 1

A Broplan kit of such a big plane? Impressive does not come anywhere near. 

It is a superb plane and yes, the free French made use of a few of them in North Africa. A very non-warrior looking machine.

Good luck!

JR

• Thanks 1

I am slowly detailing the passenger cabin, air crew compartment and pilot cockpit 

50433491956_c423b31187_o.jpg

Chairs are from Esci Dakota (one set is cut by half to get a row of single armchairs) courtesy of @KRK4m - many thanks!)  . In crew compartment some shelves are added, in pilot cockpit the navigator/radio operator chair and desk are added (as well as radio). It will be continued.

Regards

J-W

• Like 8

The details of passenger cabin are added. I assumed, that despite war since machine was used for transport rather 3 stars generals then troops the inside remained luxury. Maybe I am wrong, but I had not data about it...

50450260527_67b1953167_o.jpg50449389803_136969f04a_o.jpg

50450089856_37046fee8f_o.jpg

The curtains are from plumber teflon tape. I found it the best, although you cannot paint it, so only white can be...

I will close the passenger part of fuselage, since the pilot cockpit can be still detailed/corrected until the canopy is not covered on it. 

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, occa said:

What an awesome subject again J.W. !!!

Please take notice the cross of Lorraine must be the French roundel blue here and not red in case :)

Sorry for being a smartass

Martin, thank you. Of course - the quality of photo is enough good to notice that the Lorrain crosses are the same color as middle  of insignia, it is obvious that it is blue and the thin circle around it is red.  

Due to COVID my duty trip to Vienna is again postponed. Looks that all will be done during remote talks...

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

I glued wing, adding on leading and trailing edges additional "spars" made of frames

50453716241_f5e267c677_o.jpg

The fuselage is glued together, wings are just set to it without glue. Looks how big is Dewoitine 338 - here with comparison of Airfix Sunderland fuselage halves (left  on my desk  after construction of Empire during spring lockdown.

50453876902_976165b3d8_o.jpg

My kit of this machine has on the top of right wind some kind of shallow scarf (it will be seen under paint for sure) , It can be seen on photo from my first post above. I put some Tamiya filler overthere to fill it . The width of fuselage I adjusted with scaler to match cockpit canopy width. It looks that you do not need to remove thickness of the plastic plate (what I did and now I have to fill the gap with putty)

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 6

When I tried to glue wings a problem appeared with it- they got some swept seen in position of main spar. So I have to glue them only at leading edge and on back I will enlarge fairing.

50491276418_ed880c0ca0_b.jpg

If somone will construct this kit my suggestion is to reinforce more the roof and bottom of fuselage, because the plastic is very thin. I did not done it and I suffer a bit with this...

Regards

J-W

• Like 6

I glued canopy (after some improvements like seat belts inside) and tail plane as well as did some putty work with wing-fuselage fairings

50495778242_939685d858_o.jpg

50495621576_ed53d7fc0a_o.jpg

Regards

J-W

• Like 8

Meanwhile I glued wheels, side engines gondola and cowlings, painted also engines. Some work is needed to align the surface of front of cowling with the end of engine.  

50498653412_1771806f8b_o.jpg

Despite the guiding lines engraved to help positioning of side engines gondola I thought that adding some stretched plastic rods will help in this, later it will look ok in gondola as well:

50497789178_765015c689_o.jpg

It really helped with positioning of gondolas

50497790078_d43f751834_o.jpg

the canopy fuselage joins needs a lot of putty work

50498504586_6d39a19a97_o.jpg

That is all so far with it :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 6

I have detailed tail, small side additional fins and struts supporting from bottom

50521915877_2cf748712d_o.jpg

50521740031_48b6d70161_o.jpg

Using file I sanded and shaped props, like in many other Frnch machines the rotation of left prop is counterclockwise (the same central) and right one is clockwise.

50521917107_7069a3c65c_o.jpg

I sanded also cowlings and trimmed diameter of engines to fit the cowlings

I have nice French booklet on transport machines in French AF during WW2

50521017093_0968cfeccd_o.jpg

There are some drawings and photos of Dewoitine. It can be observed, that the machine operated in Africa had larger, tropical airfilters 

50521016968_0a2328eb56_o.jpg

So I cut out the air intakes done in model I started to do the tropical one

50521016743_f409a2e1dd_o.jpg

50521016628_2148b3261e_o.jpg

50521916202_6bc1f59222_o.jpg

On Polish e-bay portal Allegro I've bought decals for Farman 223.4 I hope they will be useful here

50521017503_e30987afa7_o.jpg

To be continued

Regards

J-W

• Like 9