M32B ARV

Hamden

29 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Did you scrape the headlamp brush guard

Not scraped John just as they came in the kit - Italeri got that bit right even if the rest isn't

Stay safe      Roger

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments and likes.

Darryl @Jasper dog asked about the Bronco workable tracks I stated was going to be used on my M32. The tracks needed to be changed from the kit supplied rubber bands to T49's as shown in the picture Steve @M3talpig found and kindly posted earlier in the thread, that said the postman delivered this today

IMG-0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

Construction seems to be similar to that of the same companies Challenger 2 tracks, so next session at the bench looks like track bashing may be in order!

Stay safe         Roger

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Darryl @Jasper dog asked about the Bronco workable tracks I stated was going to be used on my M32. The tracks needed to be changed from the kit supplied rubber bands to T49's as shown in the picture Steve @M3talpig found and kindly posted earlier in the thread, that said the postman delivered this today

They should keep you busy mate...... i used AFV Club tracks on mine but have to say they were very very fragile hopefully these will be more substantial.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

i used AFV Club tracks on mine but have to say they were very very fragile

Thanks for the comment Steve. When I used Bronco's CR2 tracks they went together reasonably quickly and were quite strong when put together!

Famous last words eh?

Stay safe         Roger

• Like 1

Catching up after a break from following this one Roger. Impressive progress and incredible interior work. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with those tracks. I had a challenging time with the Takom ones I used on my Heller AMX-13, but they were not proper links with pins.

Terry

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

don’t use any enamel based weathering products or mineral spirits on these mate, they attack the pins

Thanks for the heads up Dan @Dads203 there is no pins on these they are the same as the CR2 ones they do which is a top and bottom of the link with the plastic pin clamped between the two halves if that makes sense the guide horns are added to the outside edges separately. The CR2 ones took enamel weathering products OK.

Time will tell!

Stay safe       Roger

• Like 1

Thanks Roger, let's see how they go together,  good to have options!

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

If they drive you up the wall, there's always Panda Plastics T49 tracks. Very easy to assemble and very strong.

John.

Nice to have the Panda Plastics European Marketing and distribution director on hand to lobby on there behalf!

Salaried or a commission basis John?😉

Good luck Roger 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the likes and comments very much appreciated.

Small update today as I've not had a lot of spare time recently but to keep John @Bullbasket happy primer has been deployed after the lifting boom had been added.

I decided to keep Darryl @Jasper dog company and have started assembly of the first track, not difficult but time consuming with the separate guide horns to be added after all the links have been joined but before fitting to the vehicle. 

A question for T49 track experts am I correct in thinking there is no rubber pad on the inside of the track link? (the part the road wheels run on)

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

Many thanks for dropping by and I hope your own projects are progressing well

Stay safe               Roger

• Like 13

Thanks to all for the likes and comments.

Some paint has been added and I'm still slowly track bashing so thought it would be idea to try the first length for size - not quite long enough yet but not to far to go, then start the second one. Track may be on backwards as I did not check as it's only there to check for length.

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

Thanks for stopping by your time is very much appreciated

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, flashlight said:

The tracks seem to be hard work to get them finished

Thanks for the comment Nick, the tracks aren't hard work just time consuming each link has six pieces including the two guide horns. Hopefully they'll turn out OK in the end.

Stay safe        Roger 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It does look good Roger. The top coat is nice and even. One observation if I may. Is it possible to remove one link from the tracks as they do seem to be a bit slack, and that wasn't really the way that Sherman based vehicles tracks were.

John. 

10 hours ago, Longbow said:

I can't stand doing tracks, myself. It seems to be the worst part

Changing tracks on this one Lee as the kit supplied rubber bands are the wrong type as the pic: Steve @M3talpigposted on page 1 show, at present I'm short of bench time and am a little short of mojo as well! Will crack on soon as I hope to be at Aprils Bovington Tank Museum show in April '21 with a friend.

1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

Is it possible to remove one link from the tracks as they do seem to be a bit slack, and that wasn't really the way that Sherman based vehicles tracks were.

Thanks for the comment John, in the above picture the track is about 6/8 links short it's not joined under the road wheels in the picture just laid in place for affect and to check length.

Thanks to everyone for stopping by, the likes and comments it's very much appreciated

Stay safe             Roger

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Thanks for the comment John, in the above picture the track is about 6/8 links short it's not joined under the road wheels in the picture just laid in place for affect and to check length.

Good grief!! I know that my powers of observation are about as good as my ability to carry out neurosurgery, but how did I miss that? Sorry Roger. It seems as though unless something whacks me between the eyes, I don't see it.

John.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not been on this one for a while so it's time to wrap this one up. First a confession after Christmas I went to continue building the Bronco T49 tracks and after feeding the carpet monster a couple of the guide horns I put the tracks back in the box and in order to finish this project I gave in and ordered a set of AFV Club T49 rubber band style tracks. When these arrived through Amazon from America I continued with this and am now calling this done - I am still awaiting the crew to report for duty so will add these at a later date.

Since the last update the decals/transfers/stickers have been added as has the above mentioned tracks. The lifting boom has been rigged and the winch/crane rope added, spare road wheels positioned on the rear of the casement and the anti aircraft .50 machine gun fitted to the casement top and a canvas cover fashioned. Enough waffle I'll let the pictures tell the story.

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

The star decals are from the kit and the unit markings are home printed.

Thanks to everyone who has joined me on this projects and for the likes and comments and especially to Steve @M3talpig for finding the only known pictures of a big hatch M32, thanks again for that Steve.

Taking a break from AFV's for the next one and building Dominic Toretto's Dodge Charger from the Fast & Furious film down the civilian vehicle section as my daughter and son in law gave it to me for Christmas.

Stay safe       Roger 

• Like 15

That looks absolutely fantastic Roger....greasy grimy and with a general appearance of being worn and used and it looks a million dollars with the boom raised...in fact quite an impressive kit all round, especially considering that the kit is ...what 35 years old now. Shame Italeri kits don't stack up now like they used too.................really splendid old bean  :goodjob:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1