1/700 Atlantic Models HMS (SGB?) Grey Goose.

I was lucky enough to get this from my parents for my birthday.

It is a stunning new kit from Atlantic Models (they are really on a roll at the minute), it is seriously tiny and my first ever waterline kit.

This meant it was also my first ever attempt at a sea base. I wasn't especially ambitious with it but I am really happy with how it came out.

50372104268_6e96d66681_k.jpg20200922_200034_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

50372967312_d399c5f47b_k.jpg20200922_200137_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

50372104768_b36c436bff_k.jpg20200922_200201_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

50372104988_2dc7478b30_k.jpg20200922_200355_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

50372137538_4538ba4f63_k.jpg20200922_201119_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 24

On 24/09/2020 at 10:29, Putty Animal said:

Great job!  I love the brush strokes to create the wake.  You make it look so easy.  

Thank you, to be honest I don't like the bit behind the hull, I think it is too flat to look right.

The front bit was easier than expected, I simply stippled on layers of acrylic putty mixed with clear gloss gel which gave a decent result pretty easily.

The front spray at the bow could do with more work, I saw a pretty cool technique involving toilet paper (of all things) soaked in gloss gel which I might try.

That's a brilliant build, well done!

Cotton wool for the bow wave is a possibility as well, toilet paper works well at this scale tho, just build it up as much as you like!

Geoff

• Thanks 1

On 28/09/2020 at 11:03, OutcastJoel said:

Thank you, to be honest I don't like the bit behind the hull, I think it is too flat to look right.

The front bit was easier than expected, I simply stippled on layers of acrylic putty mixed with clear gloss gel which gave a decent result pretty easily.

The front spray at the bow could do with more work, I saw a pretty cool technique involving toilet paper (of all things) soaked in gloss gel which I might try.

Wakes and bow waves are so difficult to get right - I would argue that it is one of the hardest aspects of maritime modelling and if that's your first sea scape you've done a great job.  Looking at the way GREY GOOSE is sitting in the water, it is representative of her moving at relatively slow speed (<10 kts or so).  If she were going faster, as seen in this photo:

Motor_Gun_Boats_during_the_Second_World_

you can see that the bow lifts up, the stern squats down and you start to get a "rooster tail" forming just behind the transom.  These can get quite large - I've seen them rising to 20-odd feet high behind a Type 21 running at 28-30 kts.  So noting that your model is moving slowly, I would say that your wake is about the right height - you certainly wouldn't want it any higher at that speed.  I would observe, however, that it probably wouldn't spread out quite so much.  This photo of GREY GOOSE in her later gas turbine powered configuration still shows quite a tight wake:

&title=ship%20photos%20-%20Naval%20secti

But please don't take that as criticism.  It's a great model of an under-represented class of ships which did sterling work.  BZ.

• Thanks 1

On 04/10/2020 at 08:54, Chewbacca said:

Wakes and bow waves are so difficult to get right - I would argue that it is one of the hardest aspects of maritime modelling and if that's your first sea scape you've done a great job.  Looking at the way GREY GOOSE is sitting in the water, it is representative of her moving at relatively slow speed (<10 kts or so).  If she were going faster, as seen in this photo:

Motor_Gun_Boats_during_the_Second_World_

you can see that the bow lifts up, the stern squats down and you start to get a "rooster tail" forming just behind the transom.  These can get quite large - I've seen them rising to 20-odd feet high behind a Type 21 running at 28-30 kts.  So noting that your model is moving slowly, I would say that your wake is about the right height - you certainly wouldn't want it any higher at that speed.  I would observe, however, that it probably wouldn't spread out quite so much.  This photo of GREY GOOSE in her later gas turbine powered configuration still shows quite a tight wake:

&title=ship%20photos%20-%20Naval%20secti

But please don't take that as criticism.  It's a great model of an under-represented class of ships which did sterling work.  BZ.

I must admit, in my head it was going >20kts, I hadn't appreciated how much the stern squats down in the water when it is going at high speed (despite having spent more time than I would like to admit looking at copies of that first photo). 

The lower photo of it in gas turbine trim is great, I don't think I had seen that before at all, it really does show how the wake sticks to the hull at lower speed (which I now appreciate the hull attitude and the back bit of the wake tie in with). I couldn't quite work out what was bugging me about the look and I think it is that the bow wave and (stern wave?) don't really look to be coming from the same vessel.

Please always feel free to send comments my way, I learned much faster by reexamining the model having read your comments than I would otherwise have done, so hopefully that will help with the next one!

I  can't really take that much credit for the model, it is a simply stunning kit. As long as you have access to an airbrush and are comfortable with tweezers, there isn't a whole lot of scope to make a bad model! With the models coming out of Atlantic Models, Combrig, Flyhawk and others at the moment I can't help feeling like we are in a golden age of modelling.

Those photos are excellent, thank you for sharing them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1