Bandai pendle princess

kpnuts

Hi all I built this and the road roller in my 20s(when it was readily available) and have been looking to get it again for years (but not for the silly money it was going for) well I finally got my hands on it for reasonable money.

Look at all those lovely models they did round the side of the box.

IMG-4374.jpg
IMG-4373.jpg

All those models sadly no longer available (probably several others too, I remember building the Rolls Royce balloon car not pictured there) another kit I would love to build again (I've never seen that available even on ebay, so I would imagine if it came up it would be huge amounts of money)

Anyway here are the first parts to be assembled.

IMG-4377.jpg
IMG-4379.jpg

And a bit of priming (after loads of filling and sanding.

IMG-4375.jpg
IMG-4398.jpg
IMG-4396.jpg
IMG-4399.jpg
IMG-4397.jpg

Oh how I wish Bandia would bring those other models back out.

• Like 8

Yeah, I had one of these about 100 years ago too! I remember all the coloured/clear light bulbs that came with it as well as the ‘gold-plated’ candy twist roof supports. 

what a great kit I’d forgotten about. 

Nick

I have this kit in my stash.
So far (About 15 years ago), I assembled the front axle and that's all.

I have a few of these 1/16th kits:

Lotus Esprit

Porsche 924

Jaguar XJ-S

Duesenberg

as well as the Pendle Princess.

One day, I'll get started on it...

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kpnuts said:

All those models sadly no longer available (probably several others too, I remember building the Rolls Royce balloon car not pictured there) another kit I would love to build again (I've never seen that available even on ebay, so I would imagine if it came up it would be huge amounts of money)

Oh how I wish Bandia would bring those other models back out.

I picked up the Balloon Car on Ebay just before lockdown for 50 quid delivered , so they are still out there at moderately reasonable money .

I agree totally - Bandai did so many great kits , none of which ever seem to get re-issued .  I have the Balloon Car , 2 Jaguar XJ-S's & a Pendle Princess , but there are a fair few of the others I'd like to get my hands on , not least the Lotus Espirit .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rs2man said:

I picked up the Balloon Car on Ebay just before lockdown for 50 quid delivered , so they are still out there at moderately reasonable money .

I agree totally - Bandai did so many great kits , none of which ever seem to get re-issued .  I have the Balloon Car , 2 Jaguar XJ-S's & a Pendle Princess , but there are a fair few of the others I'd like to get my hands on , not least the Lotus Espirit .

Oh yeah XJS! I had that too, mine was gold. Made a terrible job if it I seem to remember. 

Hi all well I've tried the first 30+ yr old decal (in an unobtrusive place incase it was a disaster)it seems to be fine 

IMG-4407.jpg

I dont remember this problem when I built there appears to have been some shrinkage, when you try to add the front of the boiler it splits the joint so I had to add a shim to stop it.

IMG-4408.jpg

All seems to fit ok now.

IMG-4409.jpg
IMG-4411.jpg
IMG-4412.jpg
IMG-4410.jpg

• Like 4

More work done on this one, I dont want it too shiny as they just weren't (all that heat oil grease and smoke) plus they didn't have 2 pack paint back then (in fact I think most of them were hand painted with a brush) a lot of the pipework is moulded into the body of the kit, I intend to replace that with actual pipework.

IMG-4420.jpg
IMG-4421.jpg
IMG-4419.jpg
IMG-4422.jpg
IMG-4423.jpg
IMG-4420.jpg

• Like 5

More work done on this (done some weathering on the engine block) started on the water tank, Im glad the 30+ yr old decals seem to be behaving themselves, got some oil staining to do to the engine block im thinking of trying to scratch build the speed regulator (that may be a little ambitious) the kit one just niggles me, we will have to see how difficult that is, I may still end up using the kit supplied one.

I must say I don't remember the kit being so blooming awkward the first time I built it (then again Id never heard of filling or sanding bits for a better fit in those days)

I'm sure the fit was better then as I didn't have the patience I have now with warped parts, I think if I was struggling then as I am now it would have been bin fodder, strangely, though I'm finding that slightly better as I end up thinking "hey I got that looking ok"( despite the effort it took)

IMG-4444.jpg
IMG-4442.jpg

IMG-4446.jpg
IMG-4445.jpg

IMG-4434.jpg
IMG-4447.jpg
IMG-4443.jpg

• Like 2

Well my missus looked at me like id grown a second head when I bought these in the cheap shop.

IMG-4467.jpg

I said "what, I can see them being useful in modeling" she said "well if you start wearing my underwear we are getting a divorce"

Heres the first use I've found for them.

This is the regulator the kit supplies 

IMG-4466.jpg
IMG-4465.jpg

It needs painting but I'm sure you'll agree a big improvement 

IMG-4472.jpg
IMG-4471.jpg
IMG-4470.jpg
IMG-4469.jpg
IMG-4474.jpg

• Like 5

Certainly good use.

I notice your work bench in all your builds. 
I’m wondering how wide it is. It seems you are able to shove all your previous builds a bit to the back and then start your new build 😃

Does anything fall off at the other end, thus creating new space for future builds?

Just kidding. Nice work on this steamy thing.

That's starting to look rather lovely.

We did a delivery to a pub a few weeks ago. The house next door has a tall double garage and I always wondered why.

That day the doors were open. Inside was an Austin seven, dwarfed by the traction engine in there!

The owner came out for a chat, the spitting image of Last of the Summer Wines',Wesley!

Further odd thing, the pub has a gun shop in the car park!

Hi @kpnuts, looking really good so far. You may have seen my build of this one, it was a bit of a devil at times but I enjoyed the build in the end. It looks like your decals are in better condition than mine were. Due to a lack of display space and an impending house move I gave my finished kit to the local steam museum. They were over the moon with it I’m pleased to say. I’ll be tagging along with your build if I may. Regards Ian

22 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Hi all I've added some of the pipework to the water tank.

Hi kpnuts, sorry to be pedantic but those two pipes should not go to the water tank. They are the outlet pipes from the cylinder drain cocks and are open ended pointing to the ground. The cocks are opened before opening the regulator to vent any condensation and water that may have collected in the cylinders to atmosphere before the piston begins its stroke. The cocks are left open for several revolutions of the engine to ensure the piston is not brought to a catastrophic halt by hitting a solid wall of water. I have seen the damage done to the cylinder cover and its retaining studs on a couple of engines when this happens.

Chris

Thanks John, Chris im just copying what the kit moulded pipework does, but is an easy fix I will just cut off the ends and leave them as they are but not going into the tank.

Edited by kpnuts
  • Thanks 1