Wedgetail numbers may be reduced

Slater

Is this because Britains economical success caused by the planned exit from EU or despite? 

Apart from that, everything is always only cut/ reduced.... 

What is happening with Crows Nest apart from delays?

I eonder if the PoW will really enter service as well...

28 minutes ago, Slater said:

Numbers aside, Wedgetail HAS to be superior to the USAF's fleet of geriatric E-3's.

Why? The E-3 has been and continues to be subject to electronic upgrade programmes for the USAF and other countries. It is not scheduled to leave service for another 10-15 years.

AIUI the reason we are having to replace our E-3D aircraft is that we did not take up the opportunities to keep our aircraft up to the latest standards as part of the defence cutbacks.

The position that we are now in is that we are buying the Wedgetail at a time when the design is over 10 years old, but again is subject to upgrades. Australia, the first customer for it, published its long term defence plans earlier this year. They show spending on upgrades to the late 2020s followed by spending on a successor platform thereafter. So far the only other customers have been Turkey and South Korea.

So we now find ourselves in the position that our AEW&C procurement is out of step with much of the world, and we are investing in a platform that in less than 10 years could well be an orphan with so few users that interest in upgrades may well be too expensive. So what do we do then? Just maybe, cutting back the E-7 programme now, working the lesser number of aircraft to death over the next 10 years and getting in on the ground floor of the next programme might just be a good plan.

• Like 2

• Mike changed the title to Wedgetail numbers may be reduced
5 hours ago, exdraken said:

What is happening with Crows Nest apart from delays?

Long story short, it involves a few big companies, all of which need to agree on every aspect of the design, all of which need to individually sign off the design.

Another issue is the size of the whole project is relatively small to one of the main companies therefore there is (understandably) not much urgency from them.

They have been test flying them almost non stop over summer, I've seen them quite a lot!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

Long story short, it involves a few big companies, all of which need to agree on every aspect of the design, all of which need to individually sign off the design.

Another issue is the size of the whole project is relatively small to one of the main companies therefore there is (understandably) not much urgency from them.

They have been test flying them almost non stop over summer, I've seen them quite a lot!

Thats it you are on a list now people are watching you👀😯😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

On 23/09/2020 at 11:27, Truro Model Builder said:

So, one in depth maintenance, one in routine maintenance, and the other has just gone u/s. That figures.

On 23/09/2020 at 13:21, Jabba said:

Or mothballed.

Or just do what they did with the new Nimrod MR4 airframes last time round and crush it with a digger

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

I eonder if the PoW will really enter service as well...

I recall Sandy Woodward making the point that you need 3 carriers to be credible. One in refit and 2 decks for operations. His position was that if he lost one of the carriers in 1982 it was go home time. I don’t pretend to know naval strategy but presumably he had more than an inkling 

• Like 1