Kora Fairey IIIF

keithjs

31 minutes ago, Patrik said:

Forgot to mention it yesterday. S1346 is indeed Fairey IIIF Mk.IIIM. So do not worry @keithjs, you have it correct.

Thank you for that. Nice to know. What is the difference anyway? Why the extra designation?

18 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Thank you for that. Nice to know. What is the difference anyway? Why the extra designation?

The IIIF versions are rather complex issue. Nevertheless, I am sure one of the references, that I have, contains quite a comprehensive brief description. I will post it over the weekend as I must find it first. Unless someone else is faster.

No problem at all. Quoting from the Fairey IIIF bible by Philip Jarrett.

The basic variants of Service IIIFs were as follows:

IIIF Mk.I - initial production version for the FAA with metal fuselage and wooden wings; Mk.II - as Mk.I but with increased load factors; Mk.IIIM - all metal version; Mk.IIIMDC - dual-control trainer variant of the Mk.IIIM; Mk.IIIB - as Mk.IIIM but strengthened for catapulting and incorporating other modifications; Mk.IIIBDC - dual-control Mk.IIIB.

Mk.IVC - composite-construction RAF version; Mk.IVCM - as Mk.IVC but with minor structural changes and increased use of metal; Mk.IVM - all-metal but for ribs in fin and rudder; Mk.IVM/A - entirely all-metal structure; Mk.IVB - to Specifications 3/31, incorporating all of the modifications in the FAA Mk,IIIBs.

In general Mk.I to Mk.III were FAA (three-seater) variants and Mk.IV the RAF GP two-seaters. But I am sure there were numerous exceptions to the rule and the Services shared at least the initial versions. You have to be quite careful and study the available photographic reference for the particular S/N in order to be sure (especially) on its rear cockpit configuration and other minor details. Nevertheless your kit is indeed beautifully represented example.

• Thanks 1

That's really a highly pleasing build

My only concern is with a certain detail on the kit itself which I expressed here, see also the two following posts #42 and #43

Just had to get this off the chest, if mods think it doesn't belong here they may feel free to delete this post.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:40 PM, Patrik said:

No problem at all. Quoting from the Fairey IIIF bible by Philip Jarrett.

The basic variants of Service IIIFs were as follows:

IIIF Mk.I - initial production version for the FAA with metal fuselage and wooden wings; Mk.II - as Mk.I but with increased load factors; Mk.IIIM - all metal version; Mk.IIIMDC - dual-control trainer variant of the Mk.IIIM; Mk.IIIB - as Mk.IIIM but strengthened for catapulting and incorporating other modifications; Mk.IIIBDC - dual-control Mk.IIIB.

Mk.IVC - composite-construction RAF version; Mk.IVCM - as Mk.IVC but with minor structural changes and increased use of metal; Mk.IVM - all-metal but for ribs in fin and rudder; Mk.IVM/A - entirely all-metal structure; Mk.IVB - to Specifications 3/31, incorporating all of the modifications in the FAA Mk,IIIBs.

In general Mk.I to Mk.III were FAA (three-seater) variants and Mk.IV the RAF GP two-seaters. But I am sure there were numerous exceptions to the rule and the Services shared at least the initial versions. You have to be quite careful and study the available photographic reference for the particular S/N in order to be sure (especially) on its rear cockpit configuration and other minor details. Nevertheless your kit is indeed beautifully represented example.

Thank you for that. I'll try a source the book you mention.