How to sand inperfections on baremetal paint without scratching

slowblade

Hello,

I cant seem to find an answer to this on the internet, so I am asking the experienced modellers how to do as the title says

Ive sprayed my model with a basecoat of Humbrol 21 gloss black spray paint and sprayed over Tamiya AS-12. The surface has a few blotches and not particularily smooth but I dont want to try sand it down swith smooth sandpaper i.e 3000 grit tamiya sponges unless I scratch it.

Is there any specific method to sanding and then polishing the metal to a nice finish? Do I need higher grit sandpaper or polishing compounds?

Bare in mind I dont have an airbrush.

Thanks,

James :)

Best to spray a test patch and try different grits.

A liquid polish like bare metal, Brasso, novus or even toothpaste could be worth a try

Be aware that the micro mesh grit gradings are of their own making and do not conform to the european (have a P before the number) or the more common US grit numbering we seem to use. It seems to me like a bit of a con on mircromesh's part as they have really high numbers but in reality their finest is no more than around a 1200 or grit (US).

For fine polishing I like the infini sponges but as I have said best to test on the paint you are using.

• Like 1